Has anyone had success or invite offers to upgrade from gold charge to platinum charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyladz

Intern
Hi guys, as per title. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in upgrading to platinum charge from gold charge. Planning off downgrading for now but dont wanna limit myself from going back to the platinum charge.

Solution
Data point: I downgraded from Platinum to Gold in July. Today, I received an email offer to upgrade to Platinum with 50,000 bonus points (will need to pay the full $1450 if I upgrade). Still thinking if I should take it given I don't really need the travel benefits for the next 6-12 months.
In the current COVID-19 environment where many of the platinum card benefits are moot, a downgrade has some attraction.
I am guessing the viability of the downgrade option would partly depend on the gold card annual fee.
But the bonus of retaining any platinum associated credit card (Edge or Reserve) would also be a factor to consider.

And I am also guessing, an upgrade from gold to platinum would be treated similar to a new application (i.e. not a pre-approved application); but I could be wrong on this.

I think the Gold charge annual fee is $130 + extra for additional supplementary cards. If you spend a lot on the gold (though I think the points earn is pretty pedestrian so you’re unlikely to), you might get an invite to platinum. I once met a gold card holder who received multiple invites to Centurion off the back of spend on his Gold card.

Data point: I downgraded from Platinum to Gold in July. Today, I received an email offer to upgrade to Platinum with 50,000 bonus points (will need to pay the full $1450 if I upgrade). Still thinking if I should take it given I don't really need the travel benefits for the next 6-12 months.

Solution
What's the earn rate on the Gold Charge? What happens to all your Ascent Premium points when you downgrade?

What's the earn rate on the Gold Charge? What happens to all your Ascent Premium points when you downgrade?
I cashed out the Premium points when Amex had the double earning double cash back promotion early this year. Gold charge card earn rate:
1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases. 1 point per $1 spent with government bodies in Australia.

Gold charge card earn rate:
1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases. 1 point per $1 spent with government bodies in Australia.
And presumably the list of program partners shrinks and doesn't include Qantas? But would still be 2:1 so an effective earn of 0.75 airline miles would put it on par with my visa card :eek:

I was offered to downgrade to gold/green too. Is it possible to attach the platinum reserve credit card to gold/green and still pay no annual fee?

Yes ok to keep reserve with Gold. Not sure about green. Need to pay fee for gold. No travel credit for reserve though. Can enjoy other benefits for reserve.

Yes ok to keep reserve with Gold. Not sure about green. Need to pay fee for gold. No travel credit for reserve though. Can enjoy other benefits for reserve.
Appreciate your reply mate. Can you share how much the annual fee currently is for gold? Do you pay extra to enrol into MR program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back