Has AMEX cut rental car cover on Velocity Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAM

Established Member
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me BUT....

I could have sworn that the Platinum Velocity Amex cc used to provide coverage for rental cars (if paid for flights etc & paid for car rental using same card).

For some reason a few days back, I felt that I should check as in Hawaii on the Big Island and a pesky force 4 or 5 hurricane was being threatening.

Downloaded PDF of T&Cs to find it was updated as of April 30 2018 and nowhere is rental car coverage anymore (memory failing?).

Next step to see whether Citi has 'updated' their Platinum T&Cs as well.

GULP!

as best as I can understand the Insurance cover you are talking about, and rentiing cars in USA, you never had any cover, because;
- in USA, the CDW you are provided with in the hire, has a $0 excess
- the AMEX CC insurnace (and every other bank) only covers you for the insurance cover excess, provided that the hire agreement shows you have taken out comprehensive insurance ( and you didnt)

there is no excess to cover.

This took me a weekend of googling to get my head around, and I think I have a correct understanding now

So IMO, dont worry about it :)

as best as I can understand the Insurance cover you are talking about, and rentiing cars in USA, you never had any cover, because;
- in USA, the CDW you are provided with in the hire, has a $0 excess
- the AMEX CC insurnace (and every other bank) only covers you for the insurance cover excess, provided that the hire agreement shows you have taken out comprehensive insurance ( and you didnt)

there is no excess to cover.

This took me a weekend of googling to get my head around, and I think I have a correct understanding now

So IMO, dont worry about it :)
Unfortunately rental car coverage via different search engines gives different results.

Some provide zero excess on CDW and theft, others provide ZERO coverage - the quote only gets you unlimited milage and full to full.

The search engines seem to have only changed in the last month or two - be warned. Also some of the US car sites direct have changed as well and only offer you the ability to take out coverage (and find out the cost) AT THE COUNTER when you pick it up.
2018 08 27 zero coverage.jpg 2018 08 27 Some coverage.jpg

Unfortunately rental car coverage via different search engines gives different results.

Some provide zero excess on CDW and theft, others provide ZERO coverage - the quote only gets you unlimited milage and full to full.

You have given examples from online aggregators, who offer their own insurances/cover independent of the actual rental company, so thats not good examples to get ones head around this stuff. FYI, The 2nd example you gave from www.vehicle-rent.com uses rentalcover.com for their "relax' package, at about 10% discount to buying direct so thats a good thing.

When you go to hire a car, major brands always ask you which country you are resident in, because if you are a USA resident, the actual rental companies will default to no cover at all, as most americans are fully covered through their own car insurance, or credit card, but also offer about 4 addon covers, If you are visitor to USA, the actual rental companies (if using major brands) always default to including CDW and Public Liability by default because they know foreigners cant possibly be covered, such insurance doesnt exist (well not for australians anyway)

Last edited:
But the question still stands - has AMEX Platinum Velocity reduced the travel insurance coverage?

But the question still stands - has AMEX Platinum Velocity reduced the travel insurance coverage?

My downloaded copy of Platinum Edge Policy d. 10/2016 doesnt have any cover for a rental car.

Reactions: RAM
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back