Funding Marriage with Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miekk

My sister's planning her marriage soon, and she's planning to fund in on a new credit card. She has a decent credit history, anyone got any suggestions of a card she might want to look into?

My sister's planning her marriage soon, and she's planning to fund in on a new credit card. She has a decent credit history, anyone got any suggestions of a card she might want to look into?

By funding, do you mean my getting a cash advance on the card, or do you mean by paying for all the services on the card and then repaying?

By funding, do you mean my getting a cash advance on the card, or do you mean by paying for all the services on the card and then repaying?
Sorry, should have provided that detail. She's planning to pay all the services on the card and then make then repay.
That decision isn't concrete however, if a there's a better offer with a cash advance then she would be open to that as well.

37 years of marriage have all been funded by credit card.

Will she be paying it off straight away?

If yes, then FF points should be an issue.
If not, then I think interest rate should probably be the biggest factor!

May be a possibility to combine both, by paying it all onto one card (get points), and then taking advantage of a low/no interest rate balance transfer onto another card.

As you are planning to pay it off straight away, then the main issues will be

1) Something with a big enough credit limit - what sort of bills are you hoping to put on it....
2) Any restrictions on what the service providers will accept

I lean towards Amex, but would need to check on acceptance and any fees that may be involved in doing so

37 years of marriage have all been funded by credit card.

I agree - but 37 years is a lot of monthly statements. In our relationship our financial planning is simple - I earn it - she spends it. It works - no arguments!! To the OP - I would encourage your sister to try to keep her outstanding balances as low as possible. Weddings can be very expensive and this could make interest repayments punitive. Look at St (george) Westpac - I think they have a good low interest card.

Robert Barlow (again).

In my case 39 years and she still has every statement. In our house financial planning is even simpler. Yes, I earn it and she spends it, but if there is ever a problem with that we sit down at the dinner table and discuss it like mature adults and then we vote on the result. I lose every time - one to one!

Bugga!

JB

..., but if there is ever a problem with that we sit down at the dinner table and discuss it like mature adults and then we vote on the result. I lose every time - one to one!
One man, one vote!

One woman, two votes :rolleyes:.

I think you will find Amex/Diners much less accepted than Visa - also tell her to be prepared to pay some people in cash - especially on the day...

I think you will find Amex/Diners much less accepted than Visa - also tell her to be prepared to pay some people in cash - especially on the day...

While true, I was thinking that maybe some of the bigger lumpier parts of the expenses could possibly be provided by Amex accepting providers.

When thinking back to my wedding (admittedly 7 years ago now) the most expensive elements were (in order):

Reception - accepted diners with some arm twisting
Photographer - No diner
Dress - wanted cash/cheque
Honeymoon - Visa
Cars - Visa
Celebrant - cash
Music at wedding - cash

When thinking back to my wedding (admittedly 7 years ago now) the most expensive elements were (in order):
Similar list of items (and payment processes) to mine (also 7 years ago). All cc spend on Visa which, by the end of all bills, was a fair wack of points. These (and others) went to two Biz return tix to Per over Christmas, which sadly, I never got to use as my preferred carrier stopped operating! :mad:

Which brings me (belatedly) to my point. If you do go for the points, think about what you're aiming to redeem them for and how long you intend to keep the CC for.
If you can handle the payment of the bills each month and get everyone to accept it, it may be worth your while to signup for the AMEX plat (and get the points bonus).

Looking back, if it wasn't for the lure of the Biz flights, I'd probably have paid for the big ticket stuff with cheque, as I could've probably got a better deal. We were fortunate to have the cash flow (no mortgage back then :rolleyes: ).

As with everything, YMMV.

mt

I'm not sure we even knew what CC's were 35 years ago so I probably shouldn't comment other than to say that I shouldn't comment :!: :oops: :rolleyes: :cool: :confused: :p

Straitman,

You're out by a year - I think? Showing your (young) age I suspect? :p

"October of 1974 saw the launch of Bankcard, a launch considered by the marketing media as one of the most successful ever. The card was welcomed by the general public and merchants alike. This early optimism was not misplaced. Bankcard is still regarded by many as Australia's number one credit card. Eighteen months after the launch there were 1,054,000 cardholders, and 49,000 merchants accepted Bankcard."

We all had one of these green and yellow cards (if I remember the colours correctly?)
JB

Straitman,

You're out by a year - I think? Showing your (young) age I suspect? :p

"October of 1974 saw the launch of Bankcard, a launch considered by the marketing media as one of the most successful ever. The card was welcomed by the general public and merchants alike. This early optimism was not misplaced. Bankcard is still regarded by many as Australia's number one credit card. Eighteen months after the launch there were 1,054,000 cardholders, and 49,000 merchants accepted Bankcard."

We all had one of these green and yellow cards (if I remember the colours correctly?)
JB
Ikara,

I'd better add a couple of words to my post.

I'm not sure we even knew what CC's were 35 years ago (when I got married (May 1973)) so I probably shouldn't comment other than to say that I shouldn't comment :!: :oops: :rolleyes: :cool: :confused:

So I was right for a change.

Oops! I've commented again.

Robert Barlow (again).

In my case 39 years and she still has every statement. In our house financial planning is even simpler. Yes, I earn it and she spends it, but if there is ever a problem with that we sit down at the dinner table and discuss it like mature adults and then we vote on the result. I lose every time - one to one!

Bugga!

JB

You and Drron must be outstanding husbands. Isn't it funny, though that all mothers teach their daughters that in decision making they have one vote and if there is tie, they have a casting vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back