free Upgrade to Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordGarlic

I know that many of us have a free for life Visa/master. For some of us, we were not offered an free upgrade to platinum. I have just got off the phone today to enquire about one of my credit card transaction and at the end of the conversation, the c.s asked me if I have received my pre-embossed plat card that citibank has sent me. I asked if it the existing terms and conditions were still the same (eg: no annual fee for life) and she replied yes.

I am just wondering if any of you have received the free grade to plat recently???

I am just wondering if any of you have received the free grade to plat recently???

Yes, I got mine on Friday and activated it on Saturday. Still waiting for my PIN to arrive in the mail, much prefer using that to having to sign every time. I had switched most of most spending to the AMEX Qantas Discovery, but I'll be switching everything back since I am now getting 1.25 points, a 250,000 yearly cap and the fact that VISA is accepted in lots more places than AMEX.

hasnt amex got a better redemption rate??

I don't do much travelling, so tend to convert the QFF points into gift cards at Qantas store. You get better value with the AMEX, however because of the 1.25 points the VISA gives it comes out around 10% for me to use the VISA.

Still waiting for my card to arrive. I will probably give them a call if I still havent receive it next week as it seems like a rather long time as I was told the letter was sent out on the 16 Sept.

I know that many of us have a free for life Visa/master. For some of us, we were not offered an free upgrade to platinum. I have just got off the phone today to enquire about one of my credit card transaction and at the end of the conversation, the c.s asked me if I have received my pre-embossed plat card that citibank has sent me. I asked if it the existing terms and conditions were still the same (eg: no annual fee for life) and she replied yes.

Yes, I got mine on Friday and activated it on Saturday. Still waiting for my PIN to arrive in the mail, much prefer using that to having to sign every time. I had switched most of most spending to the AMEX Qantas Discovery, but I'll be switching everything back since I am now getting 1.25 points, a 250,000 yearly cap and the fact that VISA is accepted in lots more places than AMEX.

If you don't mind me asking, how often do you use the gold card? Do you pay off every balance each month?

I use my free for life Gold card regularly, but have never been offered to or automatically upgraded :(
My limit is double the minimum required Platinum limit.

Normal spend...usually under $1K a month as I have an association amex card where I put most of my spent.

pay off the card monthly

I just got off the phone today to enquire about one of my credit card transactions too and at the end of the conversation i asked them if there was a free platinum card upgrade offer on my account. she said it was sent out on sept 15th. but i still haven't received it. I asked if it the existing terms and conditions were still the same (eg: no annual fee for life) and she replied yes but said i would have to call the number on the letter once i receive it as it wasn't her dept. it will be good if all of us are upgraded this time round.​

the thing is i wanted to take advantage of the 60k platinum offer Citibank Australia that i applied for back in June but haven't sent them in my income details yet so it hasn't been finalized.​

i wonder if i can hold off from activating this free upgrade until i finalize the other visa plat application so that i can get the 60k points?

in the terms it says that only new platinum card holders get the 60k points not existing.

how long do they hold on to new credit card applications before cancelling them and having to reapply?

do i have to wait another 9 months even though my application was conditionally approved but i never send in the income documents or finalized it?

when i get the free upgrade i think ill ask before activating it and see if they are willing to give me 60k points. if not i think ill hold off until new platinum card application is finalized so that i can qualify for the 60k points and the 2.9% balance transfer for life.

If you don't mind me asking, how often do you use the gold card? Do you pay off every balance each month?

I use my free for life Gold card regularly, but have never been offered to or automatically upgraded :(
My limit is double the minimum required Platinum limit.

I had a Silver fee free for life. I got a free platinum upgrade a few years ago but turned it down as I didn't want to go through the hassle of updating my credit card number with all the merchants who direct debit me. We normally put through between $1000 and $3000 a month on the VISA. It's come down to about $1000 - $1500 prior to the platinum upgrade because I'd switched to putting things on the AMEX Discovery. The full balance is paid off every month.

I had a Silver fee free for life. I got a free platinum upgrade a few years ago but turned it down as I didn't want to go through the hassle of updating my credit card number with all the merchants who direct debit me. We normally put through between $1000 and $3000 a month on the VISA. It's come down to about $1000 - $1500 prior to the platinum upgrade because I'd switched to putting things on the AMEX Discovery. The full balance is paid off every month.

I thought the card number remains the same???except that it is just a plat card?

I just got off the phone with Citibank, no upgrade offer for me :(
Well, the customer service representative said I could request for an upgrade, but that means no more free for life. So I declined the offer.

I put through 1-2k every month and pay off monthly.

I thought the card number remains the same???except that it is just a plat card?

No - the different cards have different BIN's.

e.g.
426534 - Citibank Australia Visa Platinum Card
431239 - Citibank Australia VISA Debit Card
454605 - Citibank Australia Visa Card

thanks for the clarification. I have got a mastercard....I wonder what the numbers are for mastercard?

LordGarlic and Coolsteps, have you received the new plat card yet?

As I mentioned before, the Cust Rep said there is no upgrade offer for me.

Today I got a reply via Citibank internet banking, advising that an invitation was sent in a form of pre-embossed platinum card on 15th of Sept.

I will wait til tues as the customer service has told me to wait for 10 business days from 15 sept. However, someone in the forum has said that they have received the card already.

LordGarlic and Coolsteps, have you received the new plat card yet?

As I mentioned before, the Cust Rep said there is no upgrade offer for me.

Today I got a reply via Citibank internet banking, advising that an invitation was sent in a form of pre-embossed platinum card on 15th of Sept.
i haven't received mine yet either . the CSA said the same thing it should have arrived by now and wanted to reorder another but i said ill wait 1 more week. i'm in no rush as i want to finalize the other platinum application offer first so that i can qualify for the 60k points then activate this new one. They said they can not transfer over the 60k rewards points from the other offer to this new card upgrade offer. also if i activate the platinum upgrade first i then wont qualify for the other card offer of 60k points. which is a bit of a hassle i think. so i now need to go to the trouble of posting them my income docs to be approved for the first application thats on hold. if anyone that has received the upgrade letter with the card already can you inform us if there is a time limit to accept or decline the offer? The lady on the phone said its within 30days but wasn't sure. i think ill hold off to the last day as im in no rush.

Last edited:
if anyone that has received the upgrade letter with the card already can you inform us if there is a time limit to accept or decline the offer? The lady on the phone said its within 30days but wasn't sure. i think ill hold off to the last day as im in no rush.

My upgrade letter that came with the card was dated September 19th, I think I got it in the mail on the 21st or 22nd. It says that the offer is valid until November 18th.

I guess I will wait another week before calling Citibank for a replacement card.

Asterix, did you receive the new re-designed card (Platinum Rewards) or the old normal platinum card?

I guess I will wait another week before calling Citibank for a replacement card.

Asterix, did you receive the new re-designed card (Platinum Rewards) or the old normal platinum card?

I received the new Citibank Rewards Platinum card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back