Free AMEX platinum reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

fersea

I am a AMEX platinum charge card holder. (Or at least I will be until Oct 2014).

Today i received the Platinum Reserve card. It was complimentary with the charge card. Obviously the big draw card is the free flight but apart from that is there any reason why I would use this card?

I guess the difference between this and the charge card is you don't have to pay the entire balance off on the due date but I have no intention of paying any interest.

The points earn is the same but it seems I can't transfer to Qantas (do you get two separate rewards accounts?).

They always say say when you are travelling you should keep a spare credit card somewhere else in your bag so I can see me doing this with it but outside of that does it have any use?

Just thinking I suppose you could probably use it to get two statement credits on some of these offers.

I am a AMEX platinum charge card holder. (Or at least I will be until Oct 2014).

Today i received the Platinum Reserve card. It was complimentary with the charge card. Obviously the big draw card is the free flight but apart from that is there any reason why I would use this card?

I guess the difference between this and the charge card is you don't have to pay the entire balance off on the due date but I have no intention of paying any interest.

The points earn is the same but it seems I can't transfer to Qantas (do you get two separate rewards accounts?).

They always say say when you are travelling you should keep a spare credit card somewhere else in your bag so I can see me doing this with it but outside of that does it have any use?

You can transfer to Qantas as it is linked to your Ascent Premium MR account. All my Amex cards go to the one MR account and i can transfer them anywhere..

You can transfer to Qantas as it is linked to your Ascent Premium MR account. All my Amex cards go to the one MR account and i can transfer them anywhere..

Ok, I was just reading the t&c of the new card. The brochure they send doesn't seem to think you already have the other card.

Ok, I was just reading the t&c of the new card. The brochure they send doesn't seem to think you already have the other card.

No as you can have the card on it's own (which is only an Ascent MR account).

That doesn't appear to be the case any more. I made a bit of a hash of activating my card online (was using the wrong user name) so I had to call them and they linked the two cards. I do however now have two Membership Rewards balances (obviously one is zero because I just activated the card). The phone operator said that there are two balances and two different accounts because the Platinum Reserve is not eligible to transfer to Qantas. Presumably the other issue is you need to have enough points in the second account to transfer to any other airline.

That doesn't appear to be the case any more. I made a bit of a hash of activating my card online (was using the wrong user name) so I had to call them and they linked the two cards. I do however now have two Membership Rewards balances (obviously one is zero because I just activated the card). The phone operator said that there are two balances and two different accounts because the Platinum Reserve is not eligible to transfer to Qantas. Presumably the other issue is you need to have enough points in the second account to transfer to any other airline.

Something is not right there as they should all be linked to the one AMEX MR account.. they should be able to transfer it to the Ascent Premium account for you..

I have 3 amex cards so I can get the 3 statement credits if I want them
was good for DJs and Liquorland.

Something is not right there as they should all be linked to the one AMEX MR account.. they should be able to transfer it to the Ascent Premium account for you..

just an update on this. I had to ring them again about something and the woman then linked my accounts. When I go on line under the points balance for the Platinum Reserve it says points are under card xx_x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back