Foreign hotel bookings: who carries the currency risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rourke

Intern
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Silver
I had an interesting experience which made me wonder how this works, and which businesses get screwed or benefit from currency movements. The $A has crashed about 20% since I booked my travel to the US.

First: flight bookings through US travel website. I cancelled my trip and received a refund, which was more than my original payment because I paid in US dollars. So I carried the currency risk, all good.

Second: hotel bookings through US travel website (hotelclub.com) that offers either US or Australian dollars. I paid very cheap rates which were nonetheless 100% refundable, and I chose Australian dollars. Let's say I paid $A1,000 = $US900 at the time and my Australian credit card was charged. Last week I got my refund of $A1,000, although at some point $US900 would likely have been floating around the system and that's now worth $A1,300. Which of these is true?

1. The website held the currency risk. It would have passed on $US900 to the hotel when I checked in, instead it keeps the profit (or takes a loss if the currency goes the other way)
  2. The hotel held the currency risk. But what would it pay back to the agent in the event of cancellation?
  3. I held the currency risk. If the $A had instead strengthened it would refund me less than $A1,000, but instead it took the profit above that.
  4. The hotel would have demanded more money when I arrived, because the Aussie dollars held in trust were not worth enough to cover their costs. At current rates I would need to pay them an extra $US200 to make up the difference to the already cheap advance rates (probably $US2000 = $A3000 if I book the room now)
Do any insiders know the answer to this? Mainly I'm just curious how it works.

Wouldn't the aggregator carry the risk as they wouldn't be paying the hotel until after your stay?

But I think they factor in a very nice margin for themselves that should in theory cover currency exchange fluctuations. ;)

Most of the time it's the aggregator carrying the risk I'd say.
However with some bookings you have to pay at the hotel in the local currency, then it's you carrying the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back