FF points versus Vouchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grgkpln

Hey guys

I'm trying to compare credit cards (several of them). Some use points to buy a flight voucher and others can convert them to qff or velocity points. Can anyone suggest how to do a like for like comparison? My first thought was to calculate the points required to buy a big enough voucher, with the points required for an any seat reward, because the voucher is effectively 'any seat' too. But those any seat rewards don't have a fixed number of points. I do know the points it takes to get a reward/classic award seat from the flyer scheme, so I can do the comparison of award sear vs voucher. Do you think that's a good enough comparison, or can anyone suggest how to evaluate the any seat deal? Or a better way of determining which card is better?

Hope you can help.

Welcome to AFF!

If you look in the rather large Any Seat Award thread here, you’ll see sometimes you can get an ASA for about the same as Classic Award, so I should think comparing the vouchers to Classic Awards would be more or less correct for what you want to know.

If the vouchers don’t cost much more though, then they’re probably better just from an availability stand point.

Depends on what you want to use the travel for. I find generally vouchers/Any seat award/classic awards for domestic travel can come out to around the same value - ie around 1c/point.

If you want to travel up the front in business class - converting to points will be more valuable as you never going to get them cheap with vouchers, but with classic awards (and some time anyseat) you can get them for only double the points required for economy.

For international travel, classic awards (if you can get them) are often - but not always more better value. In sales though this can go the otherway, for example, recent sales have had fares to west coast US around $1000 - or 100,000 pts (and you will earn points on this as well, in all likelihood). Using classic awards on QF best is 96,000 pts + taxes of $200 .... but these sorts of sales are less common.

Oh for a simple answer! Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back