"Enhancements" to earn rates on American Express Velocity cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the non-QF-direct Amex/Visa or Amex/MC bundles from the Big 4 or NAB Velocity Premium.

I'm going to dump my Amex Velocity Plat with this news. Might be time to revisit the Diners / MC combo I think

I'm glad they waived the annual fee for me in February. It looks like I'll take advantage of the free flight, and use the card for all my overseas Internet shopping, before cancelling just prior to my anniversary.

The NAB Velocity Platinum cards (AMEX and Visa) look like a perfect replacement.
Only $150 for both and a 1.5point/$1 earn on the AMEX (Visa is 0.5/$1).

Can someone confirm that has these cards that the points go directly to your Velocity account at that earn rate?

Seems to good to be true!

The NAB Velocity Platinum cards (AMEX and Visa) look like a perfect replacement.
Only $150 for both and a 1.5point/$1 earn on the AMEX (Visa is 0.5/$1).

Can someone confirm that has these cards that the points go directly to your Velocity account at that earn rate?

Seems to good to be true!

It looks like one of the last opportunities to earn at this rate with a reasonably low end branded card. Heres the blurb from their PDS:

When Velocity Points are credited to your
Velocity Account
8. Your Card Account statement of account will set out the
number of Velocity Points earned during that statement
period and will identify those points as either Standard
Velocity Points or Bonus Velocity Points.
9. Once you provide NAB with your Velocity
Membership Account Information:
• Standard Velocity Points earned in a statement
period will be credited to the Velocity Account
within two business days following the closing
date of each statement period of your Card
Account.
• Bonus Velocity Points will be credited to your
Velocity Account as advised byNAB in the relevant
promotional material.

The VISA at 0.5/$ isn't worth using of course, but the Amex might be ok.

Earning Velocity Points –
standard and bonus points
3. Velocity Points will be earned through the use of
the Card Account on all net purchases during a
statement period. Net purchases means the total
purchases less sales credits (ie. returns) and
adjustments during a statement period.
Net purchases do not include:
• cash advances (which includes bills paid over the
counter at a bank, financial institution or post
office, the purchase of travellers cheques);
• balance transfer amounts you request transferred
from non NAB credit card or store account;
• fees and charges under your Card Account;
• Transactions for gambling or gaming purposes
(as designated by American Express, Visa or
MasterCard), examples include purchase of lottery
tickets, purchases of gaming chips or tokens and
online gambling);
• interest charges;
government fees and charges;
• unauthorised purchases for which you are not liable.
Also excluded from net purchases are:
• transactions where you use your NAB Velocity
Credit Card as a debit card to access linked
accounts;
• transactions which involve abuse of your Card
Account;
• where your Card Account is a personal NAB Velocity
Credit Card, net purchases also exclude transactions
NAB decides are for business purposes.

My underlining and bold above. Its a tiny bit ambiguous to me. What is government exactly ... local council rates (for example?), ATO payments? Rates and taxes are not really fees and charges in my view, but my view isn't important. I'll have to find their definition of words somewhere.

Ugh

got my letter too. I'm really wondering what to do now myself. I'm actually on a reduced rate of $150 a year for this card (why I got it in the first place!) and was more than happy with it. It looks like even the gold card gets more in some circumstances?!?!?

I'm really torn here. I wont be able to get the $150 a year annual fee on this card again if I quit. But Platinum Edge is looking a bit more tempting at 3 points groceries and better fuel etc.

It looks like one of the last opportunities to earn at this rate with a reasonably low end branded card. Heres the blurb from their PDS:

The VISA at 0.5/$ isn't worth using of course, but the Amex might be ok.

My underlining and bold above. Its a tiny bit ambiguous to me. What is government exactly ... local council rates (for example?), ATO payments? Rates and taxes are not really fees and charges in my view, but my view isn't important. I'll have to find their definition of words somewhere.

I made some gov't payments last month and got the earn rate even on the fee which was rather surprising. Maybe a glitch in my account but definitely has been a sleeper card now awakening.

Ugh

got my letter too. I'm really wondering what to do now myself. I'm actually on a reduced rate of $150 a year for this card (why I got it in the first place!) and was more than happy with it. It looks like even the gold card gets more in some circumstances?!?!?

I'm really torn here. I wont be able to get the $150 a year annual fee on this card again if I quit. But Platinum Edge is looking a bit more tempting at 3 points groceries and better fuel etc.

At $150 a year I'd keep it - the free flight from PER to the east coast is worth way more than that to me ... . The Edge card for me will end up as my only true Amex after this most recent round of change. I'm keeping the edge because of free flight, cheaper fee and better earn for grocery/fuel. For other spend it looks like I'm going to have to move to a VISA/MC .. such a shame.

I called to cancel my Velocity Gold card today (they were about to charge me my next $199 annual fee).

Asked how soon I could apply as a 'new' customer for a new card and was told tomorrow.

Velocity Platinum has 50K sign-on offer at the moment with return dom flight each year for $349 which I think I'll go for - the sign-on is worth more than the annual fee in anyones calculations!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back