Disappointing Experiences with Australian Amex Travel Service Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimocca

I had such high hopes before applying for the Amex Explorer card. I know some of this is on me for not doing my research thoroughly enough, but after having read so many positive reviews of the Amex travel team (mostly UK & USA reviews who enjoy 7 day / 24 hour coverage). Part of the reason for this post is to warn others of the severe failings that Australian Amex Card holders suffer*

1. The interface on the Amex Travel website isn't very good. (ok, a lot of other travel websites are bad too).
2. For complex itineries which are not bookable online, The team are only available 8am - 6pm Mon - Fri. (for me this is not cool, and perhaps becuase I had an expectation of 24/7 coverage).
3. I felt badly let down because I happened to be travelling with QR to Egypt & UAE between 4th-7th June 2017 when the diplomatic "spat" happened. QR (understandably) where impossible to reach & Amex Travel - even though it was urgent took 14 hours for me to get hold of. They where initally very difficult to deal with and it was only due to a very competent manager who stayed 1.5 hours after the end of her shift to sort things out for me that I got rebooked. (it is for this reason I didn't cancel the card in July 2017).
4. Recently I put together an itinerary that had 10 sectors across two carriers (EK & QF) tested to ensure it I was able to price with at least 2 OTAs before attempting to book with Amex Travel via phone (their poor interface wouldn't let me price it online). I was keen to use the $400 travel credit and I've noticed Amex Travel mostly seem to price in line with ITA Matrix.

4a. I had been holding off on making my bookings, hoping that a promotion would materialise, so I was very pleased when the Qantas Double Status Credit Promotion started on 1st Feb 2018.

4b. I have spent over 8 hours on the phone and sent several emails (ITA Matrix fare breakdowns) trying to get what should have been a straight-forward booking completed.

4c. I managed to get most of the initinerary booked on the 5th phone call. The representative really tried their best, a bit disappointing, the "Travel Executive" couldn't figure out how to add a QF codeshare flight on the last sector.

4d. I feel quite badly let down by the other 3 individuals who promised to follow up and to assist, unfortunately these promises were all broken and I was messed around for 4 days.

My best guess is that the flight query tools supplied to them aren't very good and/or training of staff isn't very thorough. It may also be they were just busy (on Friday afternoon I spent over an hour on hold for 1 call, my average wait time was about 25 minutes).

Strangely, all of the people I dealt with were well mannered, well spoken and seemed quite sharp, why they were unable to keep their word struck me as as out of character. At all times I was polite, calm and our conversations seemed to go well - again perhaps my expectations were just too high?

For me the 100k signup bonus for the Explorer card was nice. But as a frequent traveler, this part of the "benefits" is a big let down.

Or maybe I am just "doing it wrong" ? - be interested to hear if anyone else is having an easier time dealing with Amex Travel?

*if you have a the Amex platinum charge card ($1,200 p.a.) you get access the 24/7 travel service with a UK based team outside of Australian business hours.

4d. I feel quite badly let down by the other 3 individuals who promised to follow up and to assist, unfortunately these promises were all broken and I was messed around for 4 days

QF/EK can be very tricky with their yield management, depending on what you're already holding in the PNR. So sometimes availability that you see outside the PNR is not available inside the PNR when you search and try and add it. Similarly, availability on the QF codeshare can be affected, compared to the EK flight number.

So with 10 segments, they would unlikely be on the same ticket. Depending on how you searched on the OTAs and ITA may be different to what can be seen when it is tried to all be pulled together .

Did you end up getting it booked?

... Did you end up getting it booked?

I got 9 of the 10 sectors booked exactly as I wanted or the requested flights. There was some "gymnastics" on my part as I was doing my best to avoid EK operated B777s (2-3-2 in business) as well as QF operated A380s (lack of aisle access for windows seat and flappy end of seat.)

Just the final sector ended up on EK marketed and operated rather than QF Marketed. Interestingly, the QF codeshare bumped the price up by about $150, but I would have far preferred to pay that extra amount and have the 110 SCs (no bonus of course as EK operated)

Had similar experience, but not with booking a flight but a few night stays in a hotel overseas. Booked everything utilize the travel credit, received confirmation and everything seems fine. I even confirm few days after whether my initial booking was registered or not, and the rep said yes it is nothing to worry, just show your booking form when you arrived to the concierge/ receptionist.

Fun thing starts when I actually arrived at the hotel to check in (9th December 2017). The first thing the hotel receptionist said to me was "you initial booking wasn't honored, so you have to pay using different credit card" me being tired and hoping this can be resolved quickly and I also unable to make an overseas call outside AMEX travel "opening hours", put out my credit card and paid it with it.

First thing I did after I come in to my room was send an email to AMEX travel team who promised to follow it up with their 3rd party supplier "Taurico Holidays" (this booking pattern is getting more and more complicated). Which they did, and they informed me that they have advised the hotel to refund my charges. That was back on 22nd December 2017 and the refund which was promised never arrived until today, not sure how long do I need to wait for it.

I have spoke with numerous agent, making call to no avail. Lets see how it goes.

Summary of this experience; be careful using this travel credit, esp if you are booking an accommodation overseas. Because if your booking was not honored and things get complicated, I reckon it'll be easier if the accommodation provider is in Australia where you can pick up a phone and call without time difference and roaming charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back