Did you apply in feb for the plat charge card and have issues with the insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkybelle

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
I applied late feb for a friend and received a card and the feb 2011 insurance booklet
she is travelling mid year on a frequent flyer ticket from an family member.
i called the ins co and they said she is not insured that anyone who received the card after jan 30 2012 is not insured unless they bought the ticket with amex.
I have an email from them on 31 jan stating that with activation the cardholder is covered
I also looked on the "new 31 jn booklet sent to me by my request and guess what on the back it says printed 3.12
I think this is good enough for a revoke on their position .
is anyone else in the same boat?
im sure she is not the only one to apply for the card in feb!

Sorry I am a little confused by your post. If your asking about Amex travel insurance, you are covered as long as you spend a minimum toward your trip. I think it's only $100 or so. You can book a night at a hotel, or a hire car and pay for it with your Amex and you are covered, call your concierge.

Sorry I am a little confused by your post. If your asking about Amex travel insurance, you are covered as long as you spend a minimum toward your trip. I think it's only $100 or so. You can book a night at a hotel, or a hire car and pay for it with your Amex and you are covered, call your concierge.
That is not correct, tinky is referring to the "Amex Platinum (Charge) Card" - not the Centurion.

Her friend is either fully covered by merely having the card or is not covered at all (unless the trip is basically paid for using the card or Amex MR points).

See these threads:

http://www.australianfrequentflyer....nge-platinum-card-travel-insurance-37231.html

http://www.australianfrequentflyer....ards/best-annual-ti-policy-replace-37324.html

To the OP, the AMEXx CS rep is incorrect, any trip booked after 15 June would need to be paid for entirely on the card to be covered. Please check those (long threads).

Last edited:
yes I know that any trip booked after 15 june has to be paid for on the card.
I am referring to the pass off amex has been giving both my self and the cardholder regarding the insurance!
I finally got a sane person who is willing to give me an email stating that she is covered by the old plat insurance as she applied before the changes -
though ACE ins is stating they changed their rules on 30 jan BUT the insurance booklet was not printed till 3.12 ( see reverse of little booklet set)
and i have an email from them on 31st jan stating that cover is granted
"Please note that that activation of the travel insurance is just by being an American Express Platinum Charge Cardmember regardless on how you had paid for Your Trip."
I wanted to let anyone who is in the same february application position that they should firstly enquire as to their status and second get an email stating they are covered.
Ace is being deceptive in their practices on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back