Credit Cards for Velocity/Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.

oh_lol

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice from you smarty pants!

I currently have an Amex Edge and Virgin Flyer as my regular cards. I use my Amex as much as possible, and Virgin whenever Amex isn't available.
My plan is to continually earn points to redeem under Velocity or KrisFlyer programs. At the moment I am leaning towards KrisFlyer, as I find it more valuable for the type of flights I take.
I am looking at one Amex and one Visa/Mastercard.

I am thinking that I keep my Amex Edge as it offers great benefits for the cost. The Amex Velocity looked nice, but the fees are high and the free flight redemption is worse than the Amex Edge flights.
Then I think I should upgrade my Virgin Flyer to Virgin High Flyer. I just spoke to them on the phone and they offered to upgrade my card manually, or I can apply normally for the card for some bonus points (which isn't very good, as the spend to point ratio they quoted is not good (3k per month for 10k points, every month for 5 months). I might call again tomorrow and see if they can offer me anything when upgrading manually, and if nothing, cancel my card.

If I cancel my Virgin Flyer, I have looked at the ANZ Rewards Black and the Westpac Altitude Black. ANZ seems like the smart choice because of the bonus points on offer. Westpac is the easy choice as my banking is with them. Both are first year fee free.
Also, in regards to the points you receive between Amex Edge and ANZ/Westpac Black, which card do gives more points per dollar spent?
Are there any other cards I should be looking at?

I appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

I like the Amex Edge and Citi Signature combo.

Mine is a fee free Signature....I think I'd have to look at it a bit more carefully if I was coughing up an annual fee.

What's your annual spend like? You might be able to make the numbers stack up on the Select?

Thanks for the reply Bismarck.
At a quick peek at the Citi Signature, looks like it is very similar to the ANZ and Westpac I am looking (unless I am reading some things wrong), so I will take it into consideration, although the annual fee is $199 vs $0.

Annual spend on both credit cards would probably be $50k, but now that I am looking at accumulating points more seriously (thanks AFF!) it could be a lot more.

Which one is the Select? Is that a basic Citi one?

If you can't pick it up fee free, probably worth trying Westpac Black? Can usually get it with a wealth package on your mortgage if you have one.

Sorry - they changed the name of Select to Prestige. It's the top tier card but probably not worthwhile with your spend.

I would not do Prestige without a $250,000 annual spend if you want a bit of a guide.

Thanks for the input again guys.
I doubt they'll give it fee free as I don't hold any accounts with City.

Looks like Westpac looks like a goer for ease of use (with Westpac already), but thinking I may try ANZ as well if they want to orfer 70k points.

Definitely don't spend 250k per year!

$10k spend on Westpac Altitude Black transfers to 5000 Krisflyer whereas $10k spend on ANZ black transfers to 4000 Krisflyer. Both cards transfer to Velocity at the same rate $10k spend = 5000 Velocity.

$10k spend on Westpac Altitude Black transfers to 5000 Krisflyer whereas $10k spend on ANZ black transfers to 4000 Krisflyer. Both cards transfer to Velocity at the same rate $10k spend = 5000 Velocity.

Westpac Altitude Black MasterCard earns 1.25 altitude points per dollar and converts to 0.625 Kris flyer points per dollar so that would make it 6250 points for the $10k spend same for velocity points, assuming the OP is only going to be using the MasterCard, I use my WAB Amex when the points earn is greater then using the edge for purchases other then groceries and petrol as the Edge only earns one point and the Westpac Amex earns 1.5 FF points per dollar.

Hmmmm, now I have to go check my spreadsheet. I only use the Westpac AMEX side a long with Edge for supermarket/petrol and Dan Murphy gift cards etc. then Prestige for everything else where Visa only. Oh, and ANZ black AMEX as they tolerate biz expenses.

Hmmmm, now I have to go check my spreadsheet. I only use the Westpac AMEX side a long with Edge for supermarket/petrol and Dan Murphy gift cards etc. then Prestige for everything else where Visa only. Oh, and ANZ black AMEX as they tolerate biz expenses.

I don't use that MasterCard either only the Amex, it has a poor earn rate for the price of the card IMO, but its free with my home loan so I keep it.

I don't use that MasterCard either only the Amex, it has a poor earn rate for the price of the card IMO, but its free with my home loan so I keep it.

Doesnt the Westpac Altitude Black MasterCard have a better earn rate than ANZ black? Just curious which card has a better earn rate in your opinion?

OK, unless I am missing something. I just logged into WP Altitude and ANZ Black and did a dummy transfer in both.
If I spend $10K on Westpac Amex you get 3 points per $1 = 30,000 points. When I transfer 30,000 Altitude points I get a total of 15,000 KF mile.
If I spend $10K on ANZ Black Amex I get the same 30,000 rewards points, however when just did a dummy transfer to KF it gives me 10,000 KF miles.
Am I missing something?? Cheers M

Also City Prestige used to give 6700 per 10k spend at 1:33:1 but that has changed now to 1:1 I think.

Doesnt the Westpac Altitude Black MasterCard have a better earn rate than ANZ black? Just curious which card has a better earn rate in your opinion?

I don't have an ANZ card, but having a quick look on their website it says the earn rate for Amex is 3 reward ppd and for their Visa its 1.25 reward ppd, with redemption of min 6000 reward points to receive 2000 KrisFlyer miles and for Velocity it's 3000 reward points for 1500 Velocity points. So it looks like it has an equal earn rate to the Westpac Black but a worse redemption rate on KrisFlyer miles then the Westpac.

Well I just applied for the Westpac Black for convenience sake, and I still have to send in bank statements and all that. Can't they just look at my accounts since I bank with them :confused:

I don't have an ANZ card, but having a quick look on their website it says the earn rate for Amex is 3 reward ppd and for their Visa its 1.25 reward ppd, with redemption of min 6000 reward points to receive 2000 KrisFlyer miles and for Velocity it's 3000 reward points for 1500 Velocity points. So it looks like it has an equal earn rate to the Westpac Black but a worse redemption rate on KrisFlyer miles then the Westpac.

So how would the rate be if transferred to Velocity first, then from Velocity to KF (if needed)? If I have 10,000 ANZ points, what would they be worth under the different circumstances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back