Virgin
Silver
Oneworld
Emerald
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
I moved to Sydney last year (pre-COVID) to do a PhD program in Sydney and am on a 500 Student (visitor) visa. Prior to coming here I had a number of personal credit cards from back home and had no trouble applying for credit. Indeed, when I was studying for a year in England, I was able to call the international transfers hotline and get a AmEx UK Gold card mailed to my Uni address. However, when I came here and tried calling AmEx I was told that they could only offer this service to permanent residents and citizens. I have also tried applying at my bank here (HSBC) in the branch and was told the same thing, and then attempted applying at Commonwealth Bank and was rejected as well.

Given I'll be studying here for a number of years, I'd like to have a local card I can use to collect frequent flyer points as well as have the security of a credit card (e.g. no liability on fraudulent purchases). I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience applying for a credit card on a visitor visa and what I should try next? If a credit card is not an option, are there any other options that may make sense (e.g. earning QF points). I know the QF Money "debit" card will give you points for purchases made on it but it's relatively meager.

Your Trusty,

Kangaroo Flyer 88

My sons partner uses a second card that runs off my Amex Ultimate. She couldn’t get a card and she knows i can give her the points.
It can be difficult getting that first card. We found that out when we needed a US credit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back