Credit Card rewarding points for BPAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synthetic

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a credit card rewarding any sort of reward points for payments via BPAY. I suspect there isn't, but if there is, it would allow for chaining cards, such as:

1) Purchase things using card 1, accruing points
2) Use card 1 to pay off card 2 via BPAY, accruing points

Resulting in every dollar spent accruing points twice.

You could do that, but the BPAY biller code would probably tag the 1st CC payment as a cash advance on the 2nd CC, so interest would be charged on the BPay from the day you make the payment. Probably defeats the purpose.

My BPay payments via Citibank Platinum Mastercard attract reward points.

This issue is not about BPay payments receiving points. Its about the two different types of BPay payments.

I receive points from CBA for all the BPay payments I make using my CBA Gold Visa card. But I only ever use it for BPay payments where the BPay Biller has flagged that they accept credit card payments using BPay. So that includes most utilities or bills for goods and/or services.

However, the BPay Biller can elect NOT to accept payments from credit cards and then you have two choices:
  1. BPay from a bank savings/cheque account, hence no rewards points
  2. BPay from the credit card and have it treated as a cash advance and incur interest and other possible charges and probably still no rewards points.
In my experience, paying a credit card bill always falls into the category where the BPay Biller (such as Amex, Diners Club etc) has flagged that they will not accept payments from a credit card.

So the only way to get credit card rewards points for BPaying another credit card bill will be to have the transaction treated as a cash advance, incur any cash advance charges and interest, and find a card that pays rewards points on cash advances.

So your question should not be about finding a card that offers points for BPay payments, but about a card that offers points for cash advance withdrawals.

So your question should not be about finding a card that offers points for BPay payments, but about a card that offers points for cash advance withdrawals.

NB, AFAIK there is no way to get a cash advance in Australia, and earn points. In the USA, you can get cash (coins) from the Mint, for free ( Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping - Page 604 - FlyerTalk Forums ).

You might be able to get something like cash, i.e. gift cards from Woolworths etc and earn extra points though.

The only way to get points for free, is through Club Bing ( Live Search Club -earn up to 2500 miles on various airlines - FlyerTalk Forums ) , and this is only for a small amount, for some US based programs.

NB, AFAIK there is no way to get a cash advance in Australia, and earn points.
Indeed. So the issue is not about not rewarding points for BPay transactions, its about no rewarding points for Cash Advance transactions.

NM said:
Indeed. So the issue is not about not rewarding points for BPay transactions, its about no rewarding points for Cash Advance transactions.
Or find a card that does allow payment using bpay from another credit card.

Btw I thought the US mint had shut down the coin thing.

Unless you're a Westpac customer, in which case there are no points for BPay transactions.

Does anyone know if Macquarie Bank Platinum Visa Card can Bpay and gets reward points?

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back