Converting Altitude Rewards points

Status
Not open for further replies.

alspacas

Hi all,
I am a Kris Flyer Silver member and have just taken out the Platinum Westpac card. As a consequence, I have approx 350,000 Altitude Rewards points that I must use within 45 days. I am thinking of converting them to SQ miles, which will give me 175000 SQ miles.
In April next year I will be flying into Rome and returning home from Spain 3 months later, and am looking to redeem points for the flights. I was also wanting to stopover in Sing on the way home, and have my wife join me for a few days, also using points.
I will not have enough for the J fares for both flights. Am I better to make a J redemption booking for my flights and then book her an economy and pay for the upgrade, or book mine in economy and use an upgrade for my flight?
Also when will I need to make my booking?
All thoughts appreciated
Thks Alan

PS. At the moment, I have 110,000 miles and after conversion and on spending to October, I should have 330.000 miles then
Thks Alan

From my calculations:

SYD/MEL/BNE/ADL-Rome in J booked online is 127,500 for 2 pax, as it is on old business class.

SPain (Barcelona)-SYD/MEL/BNE/ADL in J booked online is 255,000 for 2 pax as it is on new business class.

You are right, you don't have enough.

However have you considered finding alternative means of transport (paid fare, separate award booking, train etc) from Spain to a "secondary" airport where SQ still fly old business class product (Amsterdam, Rome, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Manchester) - this means that you could book saver awards (127.5K for two) and have enough for both of you to confirm in business class. Or do you really want to try the new product? The catch here maybe the connection to "old" product on the SIN-Australia flights, depending on which port you fly out of (for example if you travelling to MEL, the flights that leave these European ports arrive in Singapore in the morning, and the connecting flight to MEL is only in the "new" product, therefore requiring 16 hrs in Singapore :(:evil: to continue the award on an aircraft with old product).

Thks dajob,
My wife will only be flying MEL-SIN rtn to join up with me on the inbound.
I dont know the diff between old/new business - could u explain
thks alan

Aaah SQ business class, somewhat confusing, as there are actually 4 variants.

The "new" business class I am referring to features on A380 and 777-300ER type aircraft (which is listed in timetables as 77W). It's layout is 4 across, every seat having access to aisles, and features wide leather seats that fold forward into a fully flat ( horizontal) bed arrangement whereby you lie down/sleep with your feet essentially under the space of the seat in front of you.

Only "standard" and "full" awards are available in business class on these aircraft. Standard awards cost double those of "saver" awards, and "full" awards cost so many points that really not a consideration for most people.

Then there are three other types of business class, that are available on "saver" awards. I'd consider categorise these as:

1) Old "long haul", which features on the routes I mentioned above (in 777-200ER aircraft) and some routes to Australia (flown by 747 aircraft). This consists of angled lie flat seats (known as "Spacebeds"), which are basically a seat that will transform into flat bed, but at an angle to the floor (Qantas have similar seats on most of their fleet and call them "Skybeds", often nicknamed "Skyslopes" due to the angle to the horizontal).

2) New "regional", which are on A330 aircraft that operate to BNE/ADL/PER and are an updated leather version (with enhanced television screen and in flight entertainment) of the "Spacebeds" outlined in 1) above.

3) Old "regional" seats that are on the 777-300 (non ER) fleet and some 777-200s. These are old style business class ("cradle") seats that don't transform into flat beds either angled or horizontal. Typically used on short routes out of Singapore. As far as I know, these only operate to Melbourne on one flight a day in each direction - SQ 237/238 - and not to anywhere else in Australia, nor to Europe. However, for obvious reasons, awards are easier to come by on flights with these seats.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this detailed explanation dajob. This was quite illuminating to the uninitiated. Having just booked Saver one way and Standard the other to Europe, this detail would have helped so much whilst trying to navigate through the SA site and plan the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back