Confused - need some advice [re transferring MR points]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpandya

Current Situation:
I’ve Amex Platinum Charge card with wife as a supplementary card holder.
I also have an Amex Explorer card linked to Platinum Charge – or should I say, I earn Ascent Premium MR points by spending on Explorer :D
Thanks to the tricks more experienced and learned people have shared on AFF + generous bonus offered by Amex, I’ve been able to accumulate in excess of 525K Ascent Premium MR points in past year – and I don’t have a large spending budget/habit/capacity.

My Dilemma:
Very soon, my Amex Platinum Charge is up for renewal and I’m not keen on paying annual fee of $1200. I’m actually planning to refer my wife to get generous bonuses on both of our cards – i.e. 30k for me and $100k for my wife and she has not been a primary Amex card holder for > 18 months. Once I receive this referral points, my points balance should be close to 555K points.:cool:

Issue is that, I didn’t realise that I would not be able to trf my Amex points to my wife ! – and in upcoming years vice a versa.
I initially planned that we keep referring each other every 12 months to earn generous bonus points + referral points – I know, I know; still learning !

What I’m after:
Wife and I are trying to collect as many points as possible for a special trip in December 2019 – our 10[SUP]th[/SUP] wedding anniversary…
We don’t have specific plans yet (apart from wanting it to be a luxury holiday incl potentially a suite/residence experience, may be round the world trip) and hence were wondering if there’s a way for us to keep my points alive without transferring them to any FF program or SPG yet.
I am planning to continue my Explorer card for few more months at least so I’m assuming I can get my points balance trf’ed over to Gateway program – would they increase my balance by 25% more – so that my Accent Premium MR points don’t lose value?

Few other misc notes: 1) I don’t have status with any airline– not expecting to get one in upcoming years 2) Not sure what airlines’ policies are in regards to first/suite/residence class of travel with my 1 year old daughter – she’ll be 4 when I intend to take this trip 3) I’m likely to use some of my points for my travels until then (mainly trf’ing them to SPG/Marriott).

Any tricks/suggestions that you may have for me so that I can maximize the time I keep my MR points without needing to trf them.
Or may be a program where I can trf points now but that you believe could help me to achieve above in future.

Any other generic suggestions would also be appreciated.

Looking forward to some wise recommendations.

Re: Confused - In need of some advise

Thanks serfty for your reply - I contacted Amex customer service team and confirmed that I would still be able to 'gift' maximum of 50k Amex MR points from one account into another without any cost if the transfer is made to MR Ascent Premium or Ascent program - only need to fill in one of the forms, available on their website.

Can you perhaps ask to have your Platinum charge card changed for a Platinum Edge card?

This would probably change your rewards program from Ascent Premium to Ascent, but provided the points are retained in the same number, the only difference you'll find is that you can't convert them to Qantas, and they'll convert to Emirates Skywards at a 4:3 rate instead of 1:1 as with Ascent Premium.

All the other partners will have the same conversion rate (1:1), you'll also keep the option of Virgin Atlantic Flying Club which you don't get with Gateway - and more importantly, your points won't lose a quarter of their value by becoming Gateway points where all conversions are 4:3.

Very unlikely (in fact, I'd say no hope), in having your points converted to Gateway at a 25% bonus, so this may be the next-best option. :)

Exactly something that I thought about doing - i.e. applying for the Amex Platinum Edge. However, I'm so hooked on collecting MR points so thinking about next year, when wife's annual fee would be due - it would be time for me to apply then (to keep earning bonus points) and would like NOT to have hold any Amex for at least 12 months !

My only thought is to grab the edge. But then you won't get the bonuses. Bear in mind it's really only an issue for you- by the time the wife's card is due for renewal you should have booked flights in 2019 already.
So use her points on flights (and any you might need to use of your stash), and book the rest of the trip.

Then she can cancel hers, wait 12 months or whatever and apply and get a new bonus.

Thanks Cynicor - certainly an idea that is worth exploring.

Other option I was thinking about was to trf X points to either Krisflyer/Asia Miles - assuming that have the best availability/redemption value based on my limited knowledge and remainder Y to SPG that I can use either on accommodation/trf to other frequent flyer partners of SPG (albeit at a lesser rate).

Does anyone have any suggestion in regards to best redemption FF program in regards to points required to fly Business to EU ex Syd/AU.

Hey mpandya,

I guess the 'best' is a personal thing but Singapore would be at or near the top of my list from AU-EU. Its 1:1 Ascent Platinum -> KrisFlyer and points redemptions if you get in early are easy enough to get.

Best bet if you wanted to close your accounts down for the cooling off period is to move them out of MR, either to KrisFlyer/SPG (they keep there for what 3 years I think) or if you are ok taking a bit of a points hit wait for a Velocity offer and transfer them there and use family pooling with your wife as your pooling spot.

Can you perhaps ask to have your Platinum charge card changed for a Platinum Edge card?

A few weeks ago I rang AMEX to try and get a product transfer from my Velocity Platinum to the Platinum Reserve, but AMEX wouldn't (couldn't) do it. Apparently you can only to certain product transfers - so I'm not sure how you'd go getting a product transfer from the Charge to the Edge (worth a try of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back