Companion airfare deals - still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwliew

Intern
I have got a CBA platinum card, which in the past has had a companion airfare deal when flying business class with certain airlines. I believe JAL was one of them.

I can't find anything on their website to suggest that this still occurs.
So far, the only credit card I have found that offers things like that is the Amex Platinum CHARGE card, where the website says it offers companion airfare deals for certain airlines (Singapore airlines is one).

However, on some forum boards, Ive heard that the amex charge has stopped offering these companion deals. Given that it is on the actual amex website that it still exists I can only hope. Currently I have a amex platinum credit card, and am gold QFF. I have an SPG membership for work trips mainly, and I stay at SLH hotels when I am anywhere for leisure.

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with companion airfare deals these days and what airlines and card they sued to get there?

Also, is it a 2 for 1 on the listed price of a ticket. ie: JAL has return sydney tokyo for about 5 grand. That would make the companion airfare very attractive and would in itself pay for the cost of the platinum charge card already!

Any ideas?

It still exists for the Centurion card, so I suspect it would still exist for the Platinum charge card as well - I understand the travel packages are very similar. As well as Singapore Airlines, as you have noted, Virgin Atlantic and United also offer companion airfares on the Centurion card. As far as I can tell, all these airfares are in J or F.

Amex Plat Charge do have some "Companion" deals but they range from poor value to not so bad value.

You can get better deals booking directly with the airline in most cases or going through another travel agent than booking with Amex Travel.

Also at the moment most airlines flying to/from Australia have heavily discount business class fares at the moment and for travel up to around April 2010.

Take advantage of them while you can

When JAL had the companion fares via the Commonwealth Bank Mastercard Platinum travel agent, the cost was double the best business fare which could be booked flying JAL.

The only benefit I could see at the time was that if one person was attending a conference overseas then his/her partner could go for free with the larger amount being able to be tax deducted.

Note that fees and taxes were still payable on the "free" ticket.

Okidokes. so basically it sounds like its a waste of time...will delete those options. Cheers for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back