Citibank Rewards J bookings cheaper than qantas.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qantas21

Intern
I'm looking to burn Citibank platinum rewards points as the program won't allow transferring to QFF.

17,900 points will get you a $100 David Jones voucher.

15,000 points however will get you $102 off a J return OOL --> MEL. (Roughly 2,900 point saving!)

Qantas.com have J OOL ---> MEL @ $1222 return.

Citibank Rewards are showing the same flight for $1113.27 (A saving of 108.73c!) without the use of any points.

This fare can obviously be reduced a further $102 using 15,000 points.

Is this good redemption? Am I missing something here? It seems far too simple and strange that Citi are showing up cheaper than Qantas.com?

On a side note, the same flights in Y offer poor value @ $475.22 compared to Qantas.com @ $322.

International J fares are about the same price as Qantas.com.

I am aware that websites like bestjet.com are often cheaper on QF international fares.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Qantas21:)

Last edited:
I'm looking to burn Citibank platinum rewards points as the program won't allowing transferring to QFF.

17,900 points will get you a $100 David Jones voucher.

15,000 points however will get you $102 off a J return OOL --> MEL. (Roughly 2,900 point saving!)

Citibank Rewards are showing the same flight for $1113.27 (A saving of 108.73c!) without the use of any points.

This fare can obviously be reduced a further $102 using 15,000 points.

Is this good redemption? Am I missing something here? It seems far too simple and strange that Citi are showing up cheaper than Qantas.com?

On a side note, the same flights in Y offer poor value @ $475.22 compared to Qantas.com @ $322.

International J fares are about the same price as Qantas.com.

I am aware that websites like bestjet.com are often cheaper on QF international fares.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Qantas21:)
Use the Cheap flights Tab on AFF and they are cheaper again. :shock:

I would suggest there's no GST in the Citi Bank figures.

Are the economy examples in the same fare buckets?

I would suggest there's no GST in the Citi Bank figures.

Are the economy examples in the same fare buckets?

I didn't even think of GST! Good pick up serfty. So Citibank fares are exempt from GST?

Where on the Citibank Rewards website does it show what fare bucket it is booking into?

Last edited:

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to straitman? The cheap flights tab does not show up $210 cheaper than qantas.com?

qantas.com has OOL-MEL return in J for $608.99 each way plus booking fee (total $1224.98) and the link above has them at $547.84 each way in J (total $1095.68). Difference is $129.30

I'm not sure what you $210 reference refers to.

qantas.com has OOL-MEL return in J for $608.99 each way plus booking fee (total $1224.98) and the link above has them at $547.84 each way in J (total $1095.68). Difference is $129.30

I'm not sure what you $210 reference refers to.

The $210 comes from saving $108 on Citibank pricing and using 15,000 points at $102.

The above link is not lower than this amount including points.

I am aware that I can get cheaper prices on both economy and business fares when using websites other than qantas.com (like the link above).

So I guess it comes down to is saving a further $85 worth 15,000 points?

There are no good value redemptions on Citibank Rewards.

Transferring to Velocity or Krisflyer points are very likely to give better value than 'in-house' travel redemptions. If wedded to Qantas flights, Asia Miles redemption rate is lower but still likely to be better than what you describe for international and/or premium seats. I don't have a feel for the value of transferring to EK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back