Citi Take Flight v QFF Redemptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have a Citi Platinum Visa and I am wondering whether I made a mistake in paying the $49 fee to link to my QFF account?

When I check a Qantas PER-SIN return redemption on QFF, it is 50,000+taxes. On Citi Take Flight it is only 30,795+taxes! Why would anyone transfer to their points to their QFF account when redemptions are cheaper using Citi Rewards points?

Am I missing something?

PER-SIN QF Y search, comes up at 30,795 points + taxes of $418.23, or 41,823 points
Total points: 72,618

SYD-LAX QF Biz return comes in at 947K points total.
BNE-SIN QF Biz return comes in at 690K points total.
SYD-LHR cheapest airline biz return is 1M+

My understanding is takeflight is based on the ticket price, so if there's a sale then the citipoints required will be less. The advantage of transfering points to QF is upgrades, ASA and fixed price seat redemption.

When I check a Qantas PER-SIN return redemption on QFF, it is 50,000+taxes. On Citi Take Flight it is only 30,795+taxes! Why would anyone transfer to their points to their QFF account when redemptions are cheaper using Citi Rewards points?

Am I missing something?

At the moment, Qantas cash prices for PER-SIN are dirt cheap. The cash return price is $667, and this is made up of $279 for the fare and $388 in taxes, levies and charges.

For takeflight the 30795 points will relate to that $279 (~0.9 cents per point).

The Qantas classic redemptions are fixed (aside from when they have their own discounts), so are less affected by specials.

In this situation, I would be more tempted just to pay cash for the tickets, and keep my points for another day.

The Taste Of Asia Sale is also scheduled to finish in three days, so (unless that is extended), I think you will see the take flight points increase after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back