Citi launching new Signature card

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfcbr

Reading through the AFR today and there was an article about Citibank launching a Visa Signature card locally on July 1.

No real detail on the Citibank website, apart from the name "Citi Select". AFR lists it as a $700/year card targeting top 5% of earners. It suggests 2 points per $1 spent (would be nice, but I have my doubts this is accurate).

The Visa Signature Asia-Pacific site looks fairly uninspiring to me. Hopefully there will be other local privileges to make the annual fee worthwhile.

Qfcbr.

There's a little picture of one in the credit card section of the citi website. No details though.

Maybe for $700 a year, it will have customer service that can communicate.

You'd want to be getting some decent freebies for that.

At least some lounge passes or a free flight.

I think I'll stick with the Citibusiness card unless i can somehow increase my spending over the 80K point limit, but then I'd prob just move some spending over to my fee free QF Amex card to sort that problem out.

I suspect the value won't be there, but they may prove me wrong.

Given the relative lack of value of the Citibank Platinum if you're paying the full price I suspect you'll be right in regards to the Signature card too.

Given the relative lack of value of the Citibank Platinum if you're paying the full price I suspect you'll be right in regards to the Signature card too.

Indeed. Just a quick update to say the Citibank site now says:

Citi select grants you unparalleled access to global benefits and services that only others can aspire to.

Launching 1st July 2010

Indeed. Just a quick update to say the Citibank site now says:
Citi select grants you unparalleled access to global benefits and services that only others can aspire to.

Strange sentence.
Shouldn't that be that others can only aspire to.

Strange sentence.
Shouldn't that be that others can only aspire to.

Yes, but it was probably written but the same outsourced folk that answer the call centre phones - so you have to make some allowances....

Last edited:
A few more details emerged from BRW yesterday...

• No points cap - although no mention of transfer to FF programs
  • Priority Pass plus unspecified travel/accommodation benefits
  • Fast Track Immigration (probably for a fee)
  • Bespoke events - such as Thai Masterclass with celebrity chefs
  • Discounted banking products

-qfcbr.

I have found out that there is no cap on the number of points you can earn.
You earn 2 Citi points per $1 spent...

Can transfer to Qantas... but it is 2 Citi = 1 QF Points.
(You can also transfer to Cathay, Singapore and Virgin Blue - but not sure on the transfer rates at this stage).

So practically 1QF point per $1... unlimited.

It is $700 p.a and you get 4 supplementary cards included.
The card has other features such as one complimentary priority pass and Visa travel airport assist.

I have a Citi Platinum "free for life"... wondering if I will get an offer to 'upgrade' to Signature as they did for the Gold to Platinum?! :D

The Citi website says this is launching today but still no info up about it.

I have found out that there is no cap on the number of points you can earn.
You earn 2 Citi points per $1 spent...

Can transfer to Qantas... but it is 2 Citi = 1 QF Points.

If that's the case it's somewhat disappointing and not any sort of super-premium conversion rate. For people who want QF points the Amex platinum charge + platinum credit card is still more attractive at 1.5 QF points per $1 up to a $300,000 spend.

Some info there now. Seems to include a Mr and Mrs Smith Silversmith membership as well.

I understand it to be:-

- $700/year for a cheaper looking card
- No points limit @ 1:1 to QF
- $49 extra fee to transfer to QF (total fee = $749)
- Priority Pass

Seems like a big waste of cash with zero benefit.

The $49 additional fee for QFF is a bit rich on top of $700! Especially with only 1:1 earning rate. You'd be much better off with AMEX Plat Charge wouldnt you for $150 more?

From their broken website this morning...

2 Citi Rewards points per $1 spent (Qantas direct option is 1:1 + $49 annual fee)
Airline partners: Velocity, KrisFlyer, Asia Miles
Hotel Partners: Starwood Preferred Guest (no mention yet of transfer rate)

Priority Pass
Mr Mrs Smith membership
Visa Signature bespoke event program

+ Dedicated "premium" customer service!

qfcbr.

Sounds like you'd be better off with a Platinum card from 1 of the major banks if you want to get QFF or SQ points.

The Amex Gold Business card would also be a better deal if you can get it.

So far the card looks to be appallingly poor value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back