Centurion Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

civinod

I know that this has been covered to death before but with the recent changes just wanted to see if I am missing something or is it really just NO VALUE.

Finally after all these years got an invite for centurion.

It was nice to see the black envelope in the mail. On opening it up nothing too impressive.

Maybe the aspiration to get one is what it is all about but when it arrived just couldn't see how I could justify paying $4600 p.a

I really think my newest card Citibank Select gives me a much better return on spend. I have just booked QF SYD-HKG return in J for a $60K spend on the card. I can't see that happening with the Centurion. I am seriously thinking of cancelling my existing Amex Plat as the benefits seem to be getting less and less.

Am I missing something or is Amex missing something. Is it a case of having a big user base and you can keep squeezing for many years before the base dwindles to a low level.

Can I ask how much a month do you spend to get the invite?

I know that this has been covered to death before but with the recent changes just wanted to see if I am missing something or is it really just NO VALUE.

Finally after all these years got an invite for centurion.

It was nice to see the black envelope in the mail. On opening it up nothing too impressive.

Maybe the aspiration to get one is what it is all about but when it arrived just couldn't see how I could justify paying $4600 p.a

I really think my newest card Citibank Select gives me a much better return on spend. I have just booked QF SYD-HKG return in J for a $60K spend on the card. I can't see that happening with the Centurion. I am seriously thinking of cancelling my existing Amex Plat as the benefits seem to be getting less and less.

Am I missing something or is Amex missing something. Is it a case of having a big user base and you can keep squeezing for many years before the base dwindles to a low level.

spend a minimum of 60K up to $120k per month and have done so for a few years.

A nice little earner for Amex as well as myself.

I just got an amex invite.

I have applied for it but then I have had to redo the forms because I am a company and not a sole trader and it has taken weeks for it all to happen.

Still haven't got the card.

Virgin Money card was so easy.

I am not sure what my spend will be.

I got the amex because my biggest bill can be put on the amex every month very soon and that will make my points earn at app 60 to 70k in spend every month.

I thought it was now $5000 pa + $5000 one off joining fee?? I really don't think there is any value in it anymore since they "enhanced" lol the rewards scheme. It's really just a DYKWIA card but maybe that's what they want

IMHO it's not worth it. Mine got dropped maybe ten years ago, when I judged the cost to benefit/service ratio was waaaaaay too high. I did enjoy people saying "I've never seen one of those before". Most were fobbed off with "I don't really know much about it....Amex just sent it to me". Though my travel agent who knew about these things, having worked for Amex, was impressed.
It was a bit of a chore cancelling it. I was hounded by one of the reps (NOW they wanted to help) promising me that he would forever be at my personal call. When that didn't work he tried the threats and made it very clear that "you'll never get it back....we'll never offer it to you again".
So be it. I have not missed it, although recently finding this forum reminds me of the small time I had my ultimate? DYKWIA time in the sun.
I have got by very nicely on what is now my Ultimate Qantas card.

Keep us informed and may you make the best decision

Last edited:

Hey, at least you rec'd an invite. My invite last year was phone only, nothing in the mail at all.

I rang back and wanted to see if they'd throw a whole heap of points in (thought 80k of pts for a $900 card might equate to 400k pts for this) but alas "We don't do that due to the exclusivity of the card." So I didn't bother and have recently dumped my Charge Card due to the Travel Insurance and Points earning 'Enhancements.'

Just to confirm it was $4600 for the card.

No mention of a sign on fee in the letter they sent.

Unfortunately I can't see the value and won't be taking up the invite

Have also had 3 Centurion card invites. the first one arrived in a black wooden box with 2 cards in it already stamped with my name, ready to sign. The second, a couple of years later, was in a hard bound cover, all nicely boxed, but this time the card was alloy. The third invite was cheaper again yet the annual fee kept going up each time, currently $4600 p.a. I did a lot of reasearch the first time to see if the fee justified itself and was annoyed to find I could get the Black card in the USA or Asia for a $900 p.a.fee. Amex Australia simply couldnt justify the fee for my liking as I rarely need to charter a Lear Jet with 30 mins warning or find a diamond studded tuxedo to wear to a Royal occaision at a moments notice. I am sure its just bragging rights that people accept and pay for them.

Now, if they offered me one of those rare White Amex cards.............

Cancelled my Centurion today. (renewal was due mid next month!) Asked if I wanted to drop to Platinum Charge - no thanks! same points structure and coughpy insurance. I'll be keeping my Platinum Edge card tho - great points for Supermarket and Petrol, and applied for Citibank Select! I really wonder how many total out of the 6000 Centurion account holders have cancelled? hmmm...

I've recently opened a Citibank signature select to prepare myself for the Amex "enhancements". Will probably cancel when the renewal comes in March. I decided to leave it until then to see if Amex backtrack if people leave en masse. I doubt they will though.

I see Citibank is now so popular that they have decided to reduce the sign on bonus (bribe) to 50,000 from 80,000 now that says something. I'm guessing Amex don't have the same " problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back