CC travel insurance + use different CC overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-bug

Hi, just realised my original post was in the wrong place so re-posting here ....

I'm taking advantage of my Citi (CBG) complimentary travel insurance for forthcoming overseas awards travel. However I'm planning on using my 28 deg CC to book accom, internal flights in Europe and the US and hire cars. Just wondering if using a different CC would somehow invalidate the CBG complimentary travel insurance for the entire trip? or would there be any advantage in using the Citi CC (like would there be any additional coverage with flight delays/cancellations, more coverage for hire cars)? I know i'd get reward points for using the CBG but probably offset by the o'seas transaction and currency conversion costs?
Thanks.

As far as I know, once you purchase your tix with your cc, Citi now longer has anything to do with it and the travel insurance is handled by Zurich.
Recently bought tix with existing Citibank Platinum but then got a Signature card to replace Platinum. Rang Citibank to ask if I cancelled my Platinum card and if my complimentary insurance is still valid. They said yes, as once you purchase it, it automatically covered by Zurich even if the card is no longer active. So rang up Zurich to confirm and they said they will still honour the insurance just as long as you can proof the tix is purchase with a Citibank card at the time (eg. statement etc). The card does not need to be active at time of claim.

We rely on the CC insurance from our bank Plat card used to book overseas travel, a good tip is take copy of the CC payment/s for travel with you, can save big hassles organising medical payment when overseas, as you can email the doc direct to insurance company. Also we take the CC Insurance booklet and phone numbers too.

As far as I know, once you purchase your tix with your cc, Citi now longer has anything to do with it and the travel insurance is handled by Zurich.
Recently bought tix with existing Citibank Platinum but then got a Signature card to replace Platinum. Rang Citibank to ask if I cancelled my Platinum card and if my complimentary insurance is still valid. They said yes, as once you purchase it, it automatically covered by Zurich even if the card is no longer active. So rang up Zurich to confirm and they said they will still honour the insurance just as long as you can proof the tix is purchase with a Citibank card at the time (eg. statement etc). The card does not need to be active at time of claim.
Thanks. I didn't purchase the tickets with my CC. It's a QFF award booking where I transferred the requisite points from Citi Rewards to my QFF account. Same principle I suppose with Zurich?

We rely on the CC insurance from our bank Plat card used to book overseas travel, a good tip is take copy of the CC payment/s for travel with you, can save big hassles organising medical payment when overseas, as you can email the doc direct to insurance company. Also we take the CC Insurance booklet and phone numbers too.
Thanks. Per my reply to magtron, I didn't purchase the tickets with my CC. It's a QFF award booking where I transferred the requisite points from Citi Rewards to my QFF account.

Thanks. Per my reply to magtron, I didn't purchase the tickets with my CC. It's a QFF award booking where I transferred the requisite points from Citi Rewards to my QFF account.

With ANZ Plat. must spend at least $250 on trip for the included CC travel insurance to be valid.

On this topic.

I've bought flights to Kuala Lumpur for next feb on my Citi signature card, I expect that i'll be covered for travel insurance. However, during that trip I'll by flying out to China for a few days (not booked & paid with citi)

Will I be covered while I'm in China?

Wow.. How timely is this question! I have the same issue and just called Zurich today about 15mins back :)

My situation: I bought my return ticket from Aus from Citi card but other tickets from the base country to other places were not purchased with Citi CC. So pretty much the same question you have I assume.

The Answer: The officer sounded very confident. She said it's a worldwide cover and it doesn't matter where you fly and how you purchase them, as long as the return ticket from Australia is purchased under bank's credit card terms and conditions.

I also read the PDS carefully and couldn't find anywhere open for interpretation that all propagating travel must be purchased using the card.

Hope this helps..

I thought that you have to purchase (actually pay) for the tix for the complimentary travel insurance to be activated. I don't believe that using points to get the tix will count (although I could be wrong here). However, just thinking through it, Citi doesn't do the travel insurance. When you transfer points to QFF, whatever you do with it has nothing to do with them anymore and hence I believe you are on your own.

I thought that you have to purchase (actually pay) for the tix for the complimentary travel insurance to be activated. I don't believe that using points to get the tix will count (although I could be wrong here). However, just thinking through it, Citi doesn't do the travel insurance. When you transfer points to QFF, whatever you do with it has nothing to do with them anymore and hence I believe you are on your own.
Read the PDS- points transferred may count depending on how many, when booked etc.

Read the PDS- points transferred may count depending on how many, when booked etc.
Yeah, I ended up ringing Citi and got confirmation that I'm covered for TI with the points I had transferred. Thanks everyone!

Cool...didn't know that...now I can stop buying Travel Insurance when I use my points for the flight redemption.

Cool...didn't know that...now I can stop buying Travel Insurance when I use my points for the flight redemption.
Only for international flights, the interstate insurance doesn't activate if you use points...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back