Cancelling card mid cycle

Anyone cancel their card mid cycle, and still have their points (standard spend and earn, not sub) come through after the fact? Just want to see if I can jump onto the next SUB asap instead of waiting.

I've got a NAB Qantas Rewards Premium Card and I've also got the same question.

I've already got my bonus 70k points from meeting the minimum spend and I've just paid for a big bill this past month, however it has just missed the statement period this month so I'll have to wait until early next month for the points to land.

I'm looking to apply for another bonus sign-up card as well, seeing as I have a few more bills coming up soon (car insurance, roadside assistance renewal etc) plus the festive season with presents etc, but I don't want to miss out on a few thousand worth of bonus points because I cancelled my card midway through a statement period whilst waiting for points to land.

I guess with the 2nd response, I'll just wait until early next month for the points to land, prior to cancelling.

The dilemma though - cancel the card and forfeit 3k of points to apply for a card that awards another 70k once $2.5k is spent, or wait until the points land, then apply for a new card.

I've got 3 Credit Cards, owing $0 for all of them, but have a combined limit of $14k. I can't lower the NAB credit limit either. I don't want to apply only to be rejected because I've got $14k of credit card limits even despite the balance being zero.

Last edited:
I'm not totally sure but I think NAB Rewards cards credit points instantly, but the NAB Qantas Rewards cards are a statement by statement proposition (i.e. they don't drop the points until the end of the statement period)

I'm not totally sure but I think NAB Rewards cards credit points instantly, but the NAB Qantas Rewards cards are a statement by statement proposition (i.e. they don't drop the points until the end of the statement period)

Yep, the card I have rewards Qantas points rather than NAB points.

Guess I'll just have to wait another 2 weeks for the 3k worth of points to land before cancelling.

I don't want to apply for a new card right now until I cancel, just in case it gets declined due to having 3 cards with a combined limit of $14k already.

Not just that, but it'll add another credit enquiry to my file. I'd feel more confident about applying after cancelling the NAB card.

Yep, the card I have rewards Qantas points rather than NAB points.

Guess I'll just have to wait another 2 weeks for the 3k worth of points to land before cancelling.

I don't want to apply for a new card right now until I cancel, just in case it gets declined due to having 3 cards with a combined limit of $14k already.

Not just that, but it'll add another credit enquiry to my file. I'd feel more confident about applying after cancelling the NAB card.
Yeah, I'm waiting for my NAB Platinum Qantas card bonus points to drop. Made the minimum spend within a couple of days of getting the card last week (topped up my health insurance), and now the wait for the statement to arrive starts.

By contrast, I'd received and cancelled a NAB Rewards Platinum within 10 days of approval after getting the bonus points.

As for cancelling cards, I reckon this is a good call. I think that having more than two on the go (a standard one and a churner) could be asking for trouble, and I too have cancelled the old churner before getting the new one so far (mind you, this is only churn number three for me).

Yeah, I'm waiting for my NAB Platinum Qantas card bonus points to drop. Made the minimum spend within a couple of days of getting the card last week (topped up my health insurance), and now the wait for the statement to arrive starts.

By contrast, I'd received and cancelled a NAB Rewards Platinum within 10 days of approval after getting the bonus points.

As for cancelling cards, I reckon this is a good call. I think that having more than two on the go (a standard one and a churner) could be asking for trouble, and I too have cancelled the old churner before getting the new one so far (mind you, this is only churn number three for me).
Yep def wait for them to drop, I checked with NAB!

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back