Cancelling ANZ QFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isochronous

Established Member
I signed up last November for the 16,000 bonus points with the minimum $2,000 limit. I don't want to pay the $75 annual fee again so need to ring up to cancel. Any chance they might offer to waive the fee for next year or will they just cancel?

Probably depends on how much you put through it... And so how valuable to them you are, but no harm in asking...

I have an ANZ Plat Amex and Visa which usually costs like $295 a year, near the start of this year i called up saying i was thinking of closing it and moving to another bank and they offered to wipe the annual fee for the card but i still had to pay the $55 QFF membership component... Seemed like good value for the decent travel insurance you get with the card plus the 1.5 QFF points per $ on the Amex so i stayed with them... But i think i had probably put a decent amount through the card, not like $100,000 or anything but in the few multiples of $10,000s i suppose...

I found ANZ reasonably motivated to keep me when I cancelled late last year. They offered me a convoluted fee waiver ... I'd be refunded the past years fee if I kept the card and paid the new years fee. It was pretty reasonable of them as I'd only pushed a few thousand through the card, maybe 8-10K, but I needed to clear the decks of some credit limit to apply for new tasty sign-on bonuses so I declined the offer.

I had 2 x ANZ Plat combos in last 12mths with 32K sign on bonus - cancelled both - yes they try to convince you to stay - I just told them I made mistake and need card I can transfer pts to both QF and SQ - my mistake.

They will offer you alternative cardsetc but basically it's no bog deal.

My experience when cancelling the ANZ Plat Combo last month (after I received the 32K bonus points) - they said they cant refund the fee but offered an alternative - convert to their low fee Visa card with $30 annual fee and they will do pro-rate refund of Platinum card fee - ended up just losing around $30 by doing this. The pro-rated refund gets credited to the converted card, you spend it and then cancel that card.

I haven't put anything through this card in the last 5 months. That being said, if I ring up and say i want to cancel, what are my chances of switching to the Low Fee Card that is about $50/year and currently offers 0% balance transfer for 6 months? That way I could potentially get rid of almost $4,000 of airfares that will be sitting on my NAB Platinum Amex and not pay them until mid next year.

I haven't put anything through this card in the last 5 months. That being said, if I ring up and say i want to cancel, what are my chances of switching to the Low Fee Card that is about $50/year and currently offers 0% balance transfer for 6 months? That way I could potentially get rid of almost $4,000 of airfares that will be sitting on my NAB Platinum Amex and not pay them until mid next year.

Does anyone have any experience in this - is it a problem that I already have the ANZ Frequent Flyer card, that I may not be eligible for the balance transfer offer? I'm planning to ring tomorrow afternoon to cancel and try to get the 0% offer, will let you know how that goes - but would like to know people's experiences/thoughts, if any.

ANZ website advertising the Low Fee Card says:

Offer available to new and approved applicants who apply for an ANZ Low Rate credit card by 13 January 2013. Not available in conjunction with other offers, packages or promotions. Balance transfer rates not available in respect of balances transferred from an existing ANZ credit card

I'm transferring from a NAB card not an ANZ one, so the second part is fine. But is "new and approved applicant" means ANZ cardholders with a different type of ANZ card are ineligible, or is it only if you are an existing holder of the Low Fee Card?

It normally excludes transfers between account types, ie the offer is only to get new, additional, accounts so in your case you would not be eligible for the Balance Transfer deal.

It normally excludes transfers between account types, ie the offer is only to get new, additional, accounts so in your case you would not be eligible for the Balance Transfer deal.

Although my current ANZ balance is 0, I have not spent anything on the ANZ Qantas card for 6 months, and want to transfer from a NAB card. I might ring now and see how I go anyway

Can confirm I closed the account. Offered to waive the $55 Qantas rewards fee so I'd only pay $40 for the card, but said no. Asked about balance transfer. He offered 5.9% to keep the existing card, which I laughed at. Then I asked about ANZ Low Fee Card. Offered to give that to me fee free but also said he could only offer 5.99. Would have to apply for a new one online to get the 0% promotion, although he warned me I may not be able to get the same limit. I also laughed again - I only had $2,000 on the card and was approved for NAB Platinum in September anyway, so shouldn't be a problem!

I called to cancel ANZ QFF standard card (after 16k bonus). I was offered 5000 points to stay - which I took. Anyone think I can then change to the low fee card and get a "pro-rated refund" of the difference (refer to post #5) or am I asking for too much?

Can I ask what number you guys called to cancel the card? I have had the card for almost 4 years and put a great deal of money through the cards.

I called the number on the back and the operator just gave me a payout figure, then I called card cancellations and she just said I can close it on the spot right now for you. No offer to keep me, not even an attempt. Both operators were actually quite rude.

I called to cancel my card this week, after getting the new bankwest MasterCard. I have had the card since 1996 and put around 50k per year through it. Pay in full every month.
i called the standard ANZ number and was also offered 5000 bonus points, which I accepted. My renewal fee is not due till November, so will keep it a bit longer, but won't put a cent through it.

I called to cancel my card this week, after getting the new bankwest MasterCard. I have had the card since 1996 and put around 50k per year through it. Pay in full every month.
i called the standard ANZ number and was also offered 5000 bonus points, which I accepted. My renewal fee is not due till November, so will keep it a bit longer, but won't put a cent through it.

QF card renewal fees waived the past 2 years when i said i was cancelling. Still had to pay the $55 awards program fee but not a bad option to me at least.
Have had the ANZ plat

QF card renewal fees waived the past 2 years when i said i was cancelling. Still had to pay the $55 awards program fee but not a bad option to me at least.
Have had the ANZ plat
I never upgraded to the ANZ plat, but I have tried to get fee free before without success.
happy with the bankwest 1 point/dollar, no supp card fees or reward fees, even if they offered me no renewal fees I would still cancel.

Rang up to cancel my QF Plat card and was offered fee free for the next year - just pay the $55 reward scheme fee.

Quite happy to pay that as I've got 4 OS trips within the next 12 months and was very much hoping they'd cave in on the annual fee.

Seems if you have a decent spend and no late payments that most of the banks will do their best to keep u as a customer these days.

Tried cancelling today, wasn't really interested in keeping me!

- Out of 2 cards (basic: still new, platinum: 2 yrs old ish), I asked about the platinum.
- was offered a balance transfer to the basic (declined)
- Offered nothing else other then they will start to cancel as of now, providing the cost is paid within 2 days (declined: rather pay it off 1st!)

I now just gotta try again......

They seem to be slack :(

Annual fee is to occur within the next few days, anyone had it reversed after it was charged?

Hi
last year I had the charge dropped before the renewal and this year actually 1 month after.
each time they offered to drop the charge. I do spend quiet allot and always pay ontime, not sure of this makes any difference.
hope this helps

Tried cancelling today, wasn't really interested in keeping me!

- Out of 2 cards (basic: still new, platinum: 2 yrs old ish), I asked about the platinum.
- was offered a balance transfer to the basic (declined)
- Offered nothing else other then they will start to cancel as of now, providing the cost is paid within 2 days (declined: rather pay it off 1st!)

I now just gotta try again......

They seem to be slack :(

Annual fee is to occur within the next few days, anyone had it reversed after it was charged?

Hi
last year I had the charge dropped before the renewal and this year actually 1 month after.
each time they offered to drop the charge. I do spend quiet allot and always pay ontime, not sure of this makes any difference.
hope this helps

$1,000 ish or more each month, paid in full, by cash on exactly the date due (weekends excluded!).

Just cancelled mine. Been a customer since 1999 they told me. Didn't really offer anything to keep me other than reduced annual fee. I asked for renewal to be refunded (charged last month ) which they agreed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back