Cancelling Amex Card - Do you get Partial Refund of Annual Fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chatterbocks

I have the Qantas Rewards maximiser gold card but we don't use it enough to justify having it. I recently added up the FF points earned each year and it doesn't even pay back the annual fee.

I paid the annual fee in December - if I cancel now do I get some of that back or should I just wait until november to cancel so I at least get some value for the annual fee?

Thanks for any help :)

Yes, they normally pro-rata refund the annual fee.

The exception is if you have a Qantas Ultimate card or Platinum Credit Card and have already redeemed the "free" flight. In those cases the policy is they don't refund. (Although I did cancel a Qantas Ultimate card a few months ago and they accidentally refunded the full annual fee even though I'd taken the flight).

thanks for that. I haven't redeemed any special benefit so I don't think it will be a problem cancelling.

Update - rang AMEX to cancel and they offered me 3.25 FF points for every dollar for the rest of the year. Seemed pretty good to me so will continue for another 6 months and then decide in December.

They must have been reading the "customer attrition" thread :)

But 3.25 points per $ is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back