Bonus Qantas points when paying with PayPal on Qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I've just paid for Qantas flights with my ANZ Black Qantas card where you receive the bonus point per dollar spend. But I chose the pay with PayPal option on Qantas as there were less fees.

I've just received my CC statement from ANZ and it doesn't list any Qantas bonus points.

On the statement the transaction appears as "Qantas Air PayPal" and I believe all that's require is the 'Qantas' part in a transaction to receive the bonus points.

Does anyone know if you miss out on the bonus points if you select the PayPal option on the Qantas website?

Paying with PayPal normally means you forgo the cashbacks or other bonus that you gain buy paying direct.

It does however often mean no card fee and depending on the card with some purchases a higher point earn.

When you pay with PayPal the merchant is PayPal, not Qantas. Bonus points are only awarded when Qantas is the merchant.

That's annoying. The transaction even says "Qantas - PayPal". I thought as long as Qantas was visible in the transaction description you got the bonus points.

No good!
To avoid the credit card fees in future, while still earning points, use your credit card to buy a low value Qantas gift voucher.
Then redeem the gift voucher for your flights - paying the balance with your card.
No credit card fees on either transaction.

A couple of caveats:
(1) You must buy the voucher for the same number of PAX who will be included in the flight booking. This is absolutely inflexible.
(2) You cannot use a voucher to make a multi-city booking.
(3) You may need to use the call centre if you ever want to change your booking. Bookings made with vouchers are supposedly not changeable online (you can be lucky sometimes).
(4) Of course you may be asked to pay a fee for changes through the call centre but I have a 100% success rate in sweet talking my way out of this.

That's annoying. The transaction even says "Qantas - PayPal". I thought as long as Qantas was visible in the transaction description you got the bonus points.

No good!
I think the problem is that the "Qantas" part is a description of the transaction not of the other party to the transaction.

Thanks all for the feedback. Wasn't aware of these rules. Will know next time!

I called ANZ to confirm the T&Cs and they just gave me the QFF direct telephone number... I might call to 100% confirm but I don't doubt what everyone's said above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back