Bonus Points for QF Spend on AMEX Premium Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Leo

Intern
Hi everyone

Quick question today - I was wondering, should I expect to get the extra 1 point per $1 spent on Qantas services for flights booked online on the Americas Qantas website?

I ask because I recently purchased a Qantas flight from the Americas Qantas website, as well as a Qantas flight from the Australian Qantas website, and I only received the bonus 1 point per $1 spend on the flight I purchased on the Australian website. Sounds dodgy to me!!!

Thanks in advance...
Chris

The purchase has to be in Australia, see below, (my bolding)

The Basic Cardmember will accrue one additional Point for every one
Australian dollar charged and billed on the Card Account when the
Basic Cardmember or Supplementary Cardmember purchase selected
Qantas services in Australia. Selected Qantas products and services are:
(a) Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) purchased
on the Qantas merchant account i.e. with Qantas direct or some
travel agents; or
(b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops; or
(c) purchases from Qantas Holidays
This excludes purchases with Qantas Freight, Jetstar and Qantas branded

non-airfare products operated by third parties e.g. Qantas Box Office

Mark,

Thanks for the quick response, even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for!!!

Cheers
Chris

Quick question today - I was wondering, should I expect to get the extra 1 point per $1 spent on Qantas services for flights booked online on the Americas Qantas website?
I have purchased airfares from the QF Singapore website and have not received the extra point per $ spent. As oz_mark pointed out it has to be Qantas spend in Australia and more importantly on the Qantas merchant account.

Hi

Thanks for your response. I guess that makes sense from Qantas' perspective. But a shame nonetheless as about 40% of my purchases are from Qantas U.S.

On the plus side, I just realized that the bonus points apply to Qantas Hotels, so this could add up to 5.25 points per AUD spend on Qantas partner hotels. This is huge as I spend a substantial amount on Australian hotels during my visits!

Oh yeah! Is this perhaps one of the best earning rates for QFF? (besides Amex Ultimate card holders who get 5.5 points per AUD spend).

Chris

Be careful with Qantas Hotels... although you get an extra point per $ on your Amex, most hotels I've looked at via their website have T&Cs which state the booking is non-refundable and full fofeiture etc etc. Whereas if you directy book via the hotel themselves, they normally have far more fleixibility with their refunds. So unless you are absolutely certain you WILL be there for that room for the day you booked, I wouldn't take the risk for the sake of an extra 1 point per dollar.

BTW, how are you getting 5.25 points? I have an Earth Amex Platinum at the moment which is earning me 3 points per $ on everyday spend, and 4 points per dollar for Qantas spend. Are you including the hotel offering triple points on top of this into your calculation?

Hi

Yes, i did notice the strict Ts&Cs with Qantas Hotels. The most interesting thing is that they charge you immediately as soon as you book the hotel on their website. I guess that is the price you pay for the extra 3 points per AUD.

5.25 points per AUD is based on the 2.25 points from the Amex Premium Card and the 3 points per AUD from Qantas Hotels. The 5.25 points per AUD is credited as soon as the transaction hits your AMEX.

Earth AMEX Platinum gives 4 points per AUD spend? Hmmm...i totally did not know that.

C

Hi
The most interesting thing is that they charge you immediately as soon as you book the hotel on their website. I guess that is the price you pay for the extra 3 points per AUD.

Thats what happens when you pay rack rate versus discount/promotional rates. It has nothing to do with booking through Qantas, its a common practice.

Although if you are booking and paying for the accommodation on a credit card (99.9% chance this is happening) and you cannot make it to the hotel for medical/whatever reasons then you should be able to make a claim against the included insurance.

I have purchased airfares from the QF Singapore website and have not received the extra point per $ spent. As oz_mark pointed out it has to be Qantas spend in Australia and more importantly on the Qantas merchant account.

I did the same thing, thought I'd get the points after I flew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back