Best rates for exchanging AUD and spending overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanye2233

As some of you are aware I'm about to embark on a trip basically round the world. Having so many options when it comes to spending money overseas it's quick overwhelming .

So far I have contacted my bank westpac with only cash transfers I went into the commonwealth bank and inquired about a travel card. This seems to be the best option but what I think poor exchange rates of $1= 0.98centsUS and $1= 0.73 euro.

I have also asked about my Citibank platinum card and was informed there is a 3.14% charge on all purchases which seems a lot. If my hotel is 1000euro I'm paying a extra $50 just to use my cc.

I was reading something about being able To buy a travel card from the post office which is free opposed to the $15 the commonwealth back charges. I think cash is the best option but where to exchange it to get the best rates ?

What would you do?

As some of you are aware I'm about to embark on a trip basically round the world. Having so many options when it comes to spending money overseas it's quick overwhelming .

So far I have contacted my bank westpac with only cash transfers I went into the commonwealth bank and inquired about a travel card. This seems to be the best option but what I think poor exchange rates of $1= 0.98centsUS and $1= 0.73 euro.

I have also asked about my Citibank platinum card and was informed there is a 3.14% charge on all purchases which seems a lot. If my hotel is 1000euro I'm paying a extra $50 just to use my cc.

I was reading something about being able To buy a travel card from the post office which is free opposed to the $15 the commonwealth back charges. I think cash is the best option but where to exchange it to get the best rates ?

What would you do?

I am no expert. BUT the 28 deg card seems to be a winner ( for me at least) If going to Japan take heaps of cash. And buy it here first. I received good advice from tis site about the dual exchange rate for yen. Local and o/s. it was a significant difference. IME the lack of food outlets that take C Cards can be a pain.

im spending most of my time in europe and the US . Im leaving in 10 days so cant apply for any credit cards. I dont mind carrying cash if its going to save me alot of money. Im connecting planes in bkk and cai i dont think i need any money there i have lounge access, but when i land in paris i need euros to cash a taxi and to pay for hotel , snacks , tours. And then the same again in italy , i need to know whats the best financial outcome for me.

Best financail outcome? Take the advise offerred!

You may have enough time to get yourself a Citibank Plus that has little cost for FOREX transactions - apply ASAP -it won't cost you anything if it does not arrive in time.

http://www.australianfrequentflyer....ds-program/citibank-plus-no-fee-no-34155.html

Other than that, relative to 28° and Citibank (and something from ING I haven't tracked down) you will be paying "through the nose" no matter what publicly available product you choose.

Last edited:
i just got approved for the 28 degrees card , i cant find that little circle on the keyboard :?: . It says 5-10 business days i will call them tomorrow and let them know im leaving next Friday and if they could fast track it. Then i was reading that once the card arrives you have to send back paperwork before you can load money onto it. I got approved for $2,000 didnt think i was that poor. Anyway im hoping that i can get the card fax/email the paperwork they need and then go into the bank or bpay another $5,000 cash to use when im traveling.

Is that correct , in theory?

Is that correct , in theory?
Pretty much - although BPaying instead of Cash would be better (less questions may be asked).

Here's a link to a post that has links to any further questions you may have, including recommendations on pre-loads, tops ups and general usage:

http://www.australianfrequentflyer..../28-wizard-mastercard-cash-advances-6960.html

Other than that, well done for biting the bullet (so to speak). I hope you receive the card and pin before departure.

(Oh and, by the way, to get the ° symbol on Windos PC's hold an ALT key down and press 0176 on the numeric key pad before releasing the ALT key.[make sure Num Lock in on])

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back