Best Credit Card for retirees - with airline points

LGLangton

Newbie
Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Posts
1
Hi folks. I am another victim of HSBC closing down their retail business in Oz. After many years of enjoying airline points etc through Star Alliance, I now need to seek a new credit card. The problem like probably a few of you is that I am a retiree. Are any of you able to advise the best credit card with points that recognises Super + Pension as your only income ?
thanks
Les
 
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

There’s some general discussion here:

SYD+1 had no issues getting the AMEX QF Ultimate card last week. Albeit as an existing (long standing) AMEX client.
 
This is a challenge and one that I've just been through. As an 80 yo I'm doing some planning before the big day arrives. I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there at the time!
SWMBO has always had a credit card as a subset of mine. So we set out to get her one in her own name. Filled out all the paperwork and after being requested to send the bank a copy of our account statement that they sent to me (go figure!) we got into a conversation with the bank on the details. Once I was identified as being in on the conversation I was asked to leave as it was none of my business (really?) so I sat quietly listening. As the conversation went on it became obvious that the person on the other end had no idea how 57 year marriages and joint accounts and joint family SMSF's work so I jumped in and said...."Look, I'm dying and I want to get this sorted out before I go!" Oh, please hold for a moment............30 secs later, "Yes, that's been approved and the authorizsation email is on it's way". Job done. I didn't lie - I'm dying, just don't know when at the moment. By the way...NAB.
Good luck with your challenge.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top