Australian Cricket Season 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Playground' started by JohnK, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    AJ Finch
    UT Khawaja
    SE Marsh
    TM Head
    MR Marsh
    M Labuschagne
    TD Paine
    MA Starc
    PM Siddle
    NM Lyon
    JM Holland

You'd be forgiven thinking that's the 2nd XI in action? Struggling a little post Trousergate.

2. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    3 batsman because of the suspensions - although would have been 2 but for Renshaw's injury, then 1 bowler due to injury.

3. turtlemichael

turtlemichael Established Member

May 24, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It looks second rate because it sadly is. It would look only marginally less second rate even if trousergate didn't happen. The next couple of years are looking bleak.

4. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    So not much there in terms of replacements? I'm not being critical but that's our best?

Siddle is 33 years old. Surely time to give someone else a chance? How many starts is that now for Khawaja at 31 years old?

Pakistan 4/397. Need a lot of luck from there.

5. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    #5 rock86, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Don't really agree with that overall.

Sure, there's definitely some question marks over at least the middle order batsman (x2) and/or all-rounder, with not many knocking down the door (well maybe one, but he's obviously dome something to one of the powers CA headquarters?).

Then on the bowling side, I think we've still got some good stocks and bright prospects coming through. Might be an outlier, but I think Siddle was a good choice for this tour given his bowling style.

6. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    I think Siddle was a good choice for this tour, he bowls very tight and mounts pressure - what you want in Asia.

Khawaja is still the 3rd best bat in Australia, whenever he goes back to Shield and JLT Cup he still performs head and shoulders above his peers.

I wouldn't want to be playing over there for sure, 40 degrees in the shade and the flatest wicket you've seen - exactly like the roads we now produce.

I think we'll still win at home, and lose away. Pretty much common with every team in world cricket - even India whose ranked no 1. I guess I look at it with a half glass full.

7. turtlemichael

May 24, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    After all the chances he has been given M Marsh has pathetic bowling and batting averages. This should come as no surprise as his Shield averages are not much better. His big brother is nearing the end. AJF is coming in too late. Head is a dicey prospect and his first class average is poor. Holland is past it even though he is not that old. Siddle was dumped too early but he is now at or near the end of his Test career. UTK is precious. They need Smith back and he will make a difference but I still fear that we are in need of regeneration. Up against India who do not perform well in Australia you'd think they'd have a chance but this summer I think it will be different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. turtlemichael

May 24, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Decent comeback by the Aussies in Dubai.

9. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    Yep, Siddle has bowled really well, with nice and tight lines - something Hazelwood needs to mirror when he gets to Asia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cossie

Cossie Established Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Looked at the score and it was 3 for 160 or similar, checked again minutes and it's 5 for 170 something!!!!

Head and Labuschange both ducks on debut, hopefully the bowlers will pull Australia out of this merde...............

There is still one Marsh there, so all is not lost........ (sarcasm hat off)

11. cjd600

cjd600 Active Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney
    Were 0/142!
    The road must’ve developed cracks and snakes

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Excellent comeback but then the usual collapse.

13. love_the_life

love_the_life Established Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Canberra
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That was some batting collapse! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    Unfortunately as I have now cancelled my Foxtel subscription, I missed watching this recurrent event! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    #15 rock86, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    I'm really struggling to see why Burns & Maxwell are not in the line-up - then I've just read that Renshaw wasn't selected because he didn't show Langer enough 'energy' in the lead-up to the test after his injury :confused::confused:.

Is the below not a more solid batting line-up then what is there?

AJ Finch
    MT Renshaw
    UT Khawaja
    SE Marsh/JA Burns (I'd have Burns - SMarsh last few away series have been utterly woeful)
    GJ Maxwell
    MR Marsh (or swap him for his brother/Burns if you want to play another batsman)
    TD Paine
    MA Starc
    PM Siddle
    NM Lyon
    JM Holland

16. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Khawaja doing well. Has spent 27 hours in the field in searing heat with just a couple of hours off field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    Can they last another 29 overs.

18. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think he has justified this start. Just passed 220 for the match. But he must be feeling exhausted by now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    Funny how players respond when they know they've got some time to prove ability, not worry about being dropped after having a bad test in Asia (unless your last name is Marsh however).

20. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    He will be exhausted for the next match. Suspect he’ll need time on a drip for rehydration.