Article: How to Get a Refund to a Cancelled Credit Card

AFF Editor

Editor
How to Get a Refund to a Cancelled Credit Card is an article written by the AFF editorial team:

You can leave a comment or discuss this topic below.

Had a hell of a time to get a refund from Qantas to my closed ANZ Credit Card account.

1. Hard to get Qantas to follow through the refund
2. Once they processed the refund, ANZ couldn't see it on multiple calls. I naively trusted ANZ over Qantas, everyone would have done the same I think.
3. back and forth between the two, until one ANZ agent saw the transfer, but I had to hang up at that time. Follow up call, back to square one, the ANZ agents would swear there is no money. Until I lodge a complain so they could listen to the recording of the previous agent. Then they found trace of the money, but after 30 days.... they automatically sent it back to Qantas.
4. Call to Qantas, explained the situation, wrote the stat declaration to their special emails to get the refund processed to my bank account. 1.5 months later, nothing, call to see what's going on, the agent promise to follow through, and it got action-ed the next week.

Really unacceptable from ANZ, painfull to deal with Qantas too, would have been unmanageable without platinum status. To be fair, I got some "sorry for the mess" phone call from ANZ with some "sorry again here is $200 for all your troubles" money. What an unnecessary mess this was. I learned from that experience.

I did a stat dec which was a pain in the bum and lots of back and forth. Was promised 8 weeks but lots of back and forth but no refund. Eventually got an agent who actually was helpful. Told me he will contact their refunds team. Within 10 mins the qantas team from nz (this was during Covid period) called me and asked for new credit card or account that I want the funds to go back to and was done within 5 mins.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back