ANZ Rewards - 2010 Major Revamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIA1A

I have had an ANZ Rewards card for many years but rarely use it due to the poor earn rate (not helped by last year's illusion, where ANZ increased the earn rate and my balance but also proportionately increased the reward redemption pricing).

My 'old' card currently earns 1 rewards point per dollar charged. I value these points by checking the ANZ redemption pricing: Cashback costs 20,620 points for a $100 credit to my card account. Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer points cost 3 ANZ points for 1 Kris Flyer mile, Virgin Velocity Points cost 2.25 ANZ points for 1 Velocity point.

After last year's changes the annual fee for the regular (ie not Gold) ANZ Rewards Visa card was $22 plus a rewards program fee of $26, total charge $48/year. Additional (family member) cards could be added to the same account for no additional charge. This year the fees appear to have risen very substantially. ANZ's website-available document "ANZ Personal Banking Account Fees and Charges" dated 03.10 indicates an annual fee of $34 plus rewards program fee of $55, total charge $89/year. Additional cards cost $10 + $55 = $65/year (previously free).

On the positive side, "Rewards" is apparently now a dual-card account. Current customers can request an Amex card (and retain their Visa card) for no extra charge. After accepting this offer, the Visa card apparently earns points at a rate of 1.5 points per $1 spent while the Amex earns points at a rate of 2 points per $1 spent (3 points for "Gold" cards). It seems that if customers do not accept the offer, the rapacious new pricing ($89/year) stays in place but the earn rate remains at 1 point accrued per $1 spent and no Amex is issued.

New ANZ Rewards customers, according to the ANZ website, earn double the above "new scheme" points earn rate for the first 3 months.

The new 2010 points conversion rates appear to offer ANZ Rewards members a conversion method for acquiring Kris Flyer and Velocity miles as follows:

Kris Flyer
* Visa spending, after conversion to KF miles, accrues 1 KF mile for each $2 spent; while
* Amex spending accrues 1 KF mile for each $1.50 spent.

Velocity Rewards
* Visa spending accrues 1 Velocity point for each $1.50 spent; while
* Amex spending accrues 1 Velocity point for each $1.125 spent.

A downside is that this scheme does not involve Qantas Frequent Flyer..

However, a plus is that Cashback can be grabbed at a new rate of, in effect, 0.727% for Visa spending and 0.97% for Amex spending and the cash then used for purchasing flight tickets on any airline.

Some examples using the Cashback option for flights:

* A discount QF flight Adelaide-Sydney typically costs about $115. Purchase using this method would require spending on ANZ Rewards cards (assume 50:50 Visa:Amex usage) of $13,530 (earning 23,677 ANZ points, then converted to Cashback). Those 23,677 points could also be converted to 10,523 Velocity points - not quite enough for a discount flight to Sydney, for which Virgin typically levies 11,600 points including fees. This domestic flight example suggest that taking Cashback rather than converting tho airline points is a viable, possibly preferable, option.

* A discount SQ return flight Adelaide-Singapore typically costs about $1,100. Purchase using ANZ Rewards converted to cash as above would require spending of $129,400 (earning 226,500 ANZ points). The 226,500 ANZ points could also be converted to 75,500 Kris Flyer miles. Given in this international example that SQ charges 55,000 KF miles for ADL-SIN return + $310 (or 21,000 KF miles) for surcharges = 76,000 KF miles total, an ANZ points conversion to KF miles vs using Cashbback is lineball. However, I think in this situation I would take the Cashback - and keep the flexibility. However, SQ Business Class would probably look quite attractive using points conversion, given that Biz rewards cost twice the points of economy whereas cash J costs many times more than cash Y.

Another alternative for spending your hard-earned: The rate for buying shop vouchers such as Myer/Bunings/Caltex etc debit cards is slightly more attractive than the Cashback rate. I notice that prominent retail groups such as David Jones and Woolworths Group (Supermarkets, DSE, Dan Murphy etc) are not part of the redemption scheme.

I was a ANZ Platinum FF card member, and yesterday filled in the form and switched over to the Rewards Gold card (without any hesitation).

Membership fee still only $129, compared to $295 for the Platinum card.

Also I find out that it is impossible to redeem a business class return ticket on Qantas from Melbourne to HK using Qantas points. Even though you have as many Qantas points as you would like, they just won't let you redeem whichever ticket you want easily. Qantas is just very disappointing in terms of points redemption.

On the other hand, with the Rewards Gold card, I can earn Asia Miles quite easily now, than previously. Now with the gold AMEX card, that equates to $1 spent per Asia mile, and with the gold Visa card, $2 spent per Asia Mile. I am certain it is much easier to redeem a business class ticket with Cathay than Qantas.

Hope others share my view that the Rewards Gold card is much better now. Also there is no points capping any more.

Last edited:
Also I find out that it is impossible to redeem a business class return ticket on Qantas from Melbourne to HK using Qantas points. Even though you have as many Qantas points as you would like, they just won't let you redeem whichever ticket you want easily. Qantas is just very disappointing in terms of points redemption.

Hi crowman28, welcome to AFF!

QF premium awards can be tricky to get; the two things that affect availability the most are:
  • How far out you're booking them, and
  • What status you hold with Qantas

Last edited:
Hi crowman, welcome to AFF!

QF premium awards can be tricky to get; the two things that affect availability the most are:
  • How far out you're booking them, and
  • What status you hold with Qantas

Hi notzac, thanks for your feedback.

I am currently a Bronze member of the QFF programme, no wonder these premium awards are so hard to get.

I also want to add that Qantas upgrades are only confirmed 24 hours before any booked flights. I think with any other airlines, once you got an economy class ticket, the upgrade is confirmed straight away.

With the Rewards Gold programme, I can also earn points on the KrisFlyer programme,and I think Singapore Airlines is also very friendly in terms of points redemption (although they charge a lot on airport taxes and fuel surcharge).

Cheers

I also want to add that Qantas upgrades are only confirmed 24 hours before any booked flights. I think with any other airlines, once you got an economy class ticket, the upgrade is confirmed straight away.

Yes - playing the upgrade lottery is no fun at all, and being QF Bronze means that you'll probably miss out on an upgrade more often than not, unfortunately. Note that you're only waitlisted for upgrades -- premium redemptions are confirmed at time of booking. Great to hear that you've found a CC rewards program that works for you :)

If I was to transfer points from ANZ Rewards to Asia Miles or Kris Flyer through online points redemption, how long does it normally take to get credited in the frequent flyer accounts?

Thanks in advance.

Ok just found out, it only took 1 day for the points to appear in my Asia Miles account.

What a fantastic credit card! ANZ does in fact credit points to my online rewards account 1 business day after each transaction is processed, therefore you can immediately claim any rewards you like as the points can build up on a daily basis.

The ANZ frequent flyer card only credits points to your FF account on a monthly basis.

Re: ANZ Rewards - 2010 Major Revamp - Differential Card Pricing Offers

I have just received an offer from ANZ Rewards to upgrade from a single Visa card to a dual Visa/Amex arrangement.

The offer price for these two cards is $68/year (I am the sole cardholder). Amex spending earns 1.5 Rewards points / $1 spent while Visa spending earns 1:1.

The ANZ Rewards offer advertised on ANZ's web page has an offer price of $89/year with rewards earn rates of 2:1 (Amex) and 1.4:1 (Visa).

It takes about 4,000 rewards points to purchase a $20 Myer gift card. On this basis, I would need to spend $8,400/year (I get an extra 0.5 Rewards points/$ for the more expensive offer) to break even compared with the private offer I have just received from ANZ.

Given that I am a light user of the ANZ Rewards card, I think I will accept the private offer for now.

Why the private offer, with a different annual fee and different Rewards earn rate? I suppose it is priced a little lower so as not to give long run customers such as me too much sticker shock. Last year the Rewards Card annual fee was $48, quite a hike from the year prior to that too! Additional family member cards were free last year - now they are charged a hefty premium.

I'm afraid I can't see much in the way of an incentive to shift my main spending across to ANZ Rewards from a competing card that I hold.

Re: ANZ Rewards - 2010 Major Revamp - Differential Card Pricing Offers

The offer price for these two cards is $68/year (I am the sole cardholder). Amex spending earns 1.5 Rewards points / $1 spent while Visa spending earns 1:1.

Your Visa earn rate is definitely not great, 1:1 wouldn't even bother. I got 1.5:1 for my VISA, if you convert to Kris Flyer miles, I can earn 1 mile for every $2 spent there. For your offer, it is only 1 mile for every $3 spent.

I also got special promotion for the first three months for getting ANZ Rewards card, they give away the double points offer for the first 3 months. That is just fantastic, far outwiegh the lift in the annual card fee and additional card fee.

I already claimed a free SQ one-way J class ticket from Melbourne to HK thanks to the double points offer.

Cheers

When will ANZ release a Platinum version of this rewards card, so that we can earn 1 Kris Flyer mile per $1 spent on the VISA?

This card is not very rewarding compared to Westpac Kris Flyer card (Platinum), as you only get 1 Kris Flyer mile every $2 spent on VISA.

Hey all,

I work for Mozo.com.au and we've just launched our 'rewards revealer' - a tool which compares rewards credit cards, and breaks down the value of rewards for each card depending on your annual card spend. We think it's pretty cool.

In terms of the ANZ rewards...

The ANZ Rewards Gold card stacks up pretty well compared to others, but only if you can use the Amex for a large proportion of purchases. As crowman said, the Westpac SG Platinum is a good card.

[link redacted]

Cheers,
Andrew @ Mozo

Another revamp, got a letter from ANZ today, saying they will upgrade me to an ANZ Rewards Platinum card. I suspect the gold card is eliminated.

The rewards points system stays the same, only got medical and travel insurances added as extra. Annual fee also stays the same.

Nothing to get too excited about.

Another revamp, got a letter from ANZ today, saying they will upgrade me to an ANZ Rewards Platinum card. I suspect the gold card is eliminated.

The rewards points system stays the same, only got medical and travel insurances added as extra. Annual fee also stays the same.

Nothing to get too excited about.

Same stunt as Citi last year.

It's all about stinging the merchants for higher fees... and it makes the fees harder to reconcile when all the merchant has is a card number (ie no Platinum card in hand - think online and phone transactions).

Expect the merchants to react - with more widespread surcharges for using a credit card (ie not just Amex/Diners, although there are plenty of merchants that surcharge any card now, eg Intercontinental Hotels Group (Intercon, Crowne Plaza etc) and Accor (eg Mercure). Many are going for a flat surcharge such as 1.5% for all cards, which benefits the likes of Amex (high merchant fees) over lowly Visa credit union cards (low scheme fees, often below 1%).

Same stunt as Citi last year.

It's all about stinging the merchants for higher fees... and it makes the fees harder to reconcile when all the merchant has is a card number (ie no Platinum card in hand - think online and phone transactions).

All cards not physically presented are charged at the same rate, its only physical cards where it matters, and its still less than those corporate cards, thats assuming the transaction has not already fallen under one of the preceding categories that take precedence, at least in the case of the interchange fee to the card master:

CC.jpg

All cards not physically presented are charged at the same rate, its only physical cards where it matters, and its still less than those corporate cards, thats assuming the transaction has not already fallen under one of the preceding categories that take precedence, at least in the case of the interchange fee to the card master:

CC.jpg

Your source?

I am seeing quite different rates from my range of suppliers.

They are interchange fees, which are only a component (albeit the largest one) of the merchant fees.

Your source?

I am seeing quite different rates from my range of suppliers.

Thats the interchange fee that is payable to the card scheme, and is required to be published by law, in this case its Visa. Your fees will be with the bank margin added, which of course will be very small ;)

Thats the interchange fee that is payable to the card scheme, and is required to be published by law, in this case its Visa. Your fees will be with the bank margin added, which of course will be very small ;)

OK, so its VISA. Presumably Amex and Diners scheme fees (not required to be published by law?) are substantially higher.

As for bank margins, I am seeing numbers that are certainly not "very small."

OK, so its VISA. Presumably Amex and Diners scheme fees (not required to be published by law?) are substantially higher.

As for bank margins, I am seeing numbers that are certainly not "very small."

Amex and Diners dont have interchange fees as such as they are a closed system, specifically each of the MasterCard, and Visa systems is an association of independent corporate entities, the member banks. In contrast, American Express and Diners Club each is a single corporate entity.

The RBA published a good backgrounder on the subject that will help to explain the fees a bit better:

http://www.rba.gov.au/payments-syst...ommissioned-report/ii-commissioned-report.pdf

So am I right in assuming that the "Commercial Rate" is for business cards (eg Citibusiness)?

Is it then likely that eventually there will be a surcharge for different types of Visa cards (maybe Plat and business cards), or just a higher flat fee for all credit cards?

That would be very messy. And very good for Amex I'd think.

Also, with all our banks clearly pushing AX/VI dual cards recently one would assume it's also in their interests to move as many customers through the AX network rather than VI/MC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back