ANZ platinum insurance changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudvin

Just thought I would inform those needing a good credit card insurance scheme that Anz has recently changed its platinum card insurance terms. Scouring the booklet reveals some nice upgrades that I believe make this card even more attractive.

These include:

* Cover for additional card holders even if they are traveling alone
* Increase of rental excess cover from $2400 - $5000 (both home and abroad)
* Cover for rentals of cars, motorcycles, boats and campervans while overseas!
* Cover for return of rewards points lost due to events
* Cover for more terrorism related events

The base platinum is also good value at $87 per year, and cover is still activated through booking only $250 of transport costs on the card before you leave ( for travel insurance), and nothing at all (other than being a card holder) to get the local rental cover.

Last edited:
The booklet is dated as applying from 13 October, so it probably wont be up until then.

I also received the new Platinum card Insurance in mail. I have the Platinum Visa that is free due to my existing mortgage with them.

Activation of insurance is:

- Current Platinum cardholder at date of of claimable event
- 80 years of age and under
- Permanent resident of Australia
- At least $250 worth of pre-booked transport costs, or land content charged to Platinum card prior to beginning of trip (from Australia).
- Hold return ticket to return you to Australia.

Great news, do these changes refer to the Frequent Flyer Plat or the Rewards Plat ?

Should be all of them, as far as I know Anz's insurance product has always been the same across the entire range of platinum cards

Should be all of them, as far as I know Anz's insurance product has always been the same across the entire range of platinum cards

Thanks, indeed they do.
Received the booklet on Friday.
Nice to get good news for a change!

Note there's now a $250 excess on a lot of things that previously had no excess.
Still a good policy though imo.

I have an ANZ QF F/Flyer Platinum card and want to ask some advice.

I've got a return QF business class ticket to New York booked for April but unfortunately due to work commitments (my own decision not due to cancelled holidays or anything as I own my own company), I can't go. The Qantas agent reminded me that my ticket is non refundable but I can place the booking into credit less $300 and use it later. The issue is that the credit must be used by April (the chance of me buying a new ticket of equal or higher value before then is unlikely). She suggested I lodge a claim through my credit card insurance, the card used to pay for the flights (ANZ QF FF CARD).

Do credit card insurances cover these types of incidences or do I have to be sick or have an 'unforeseeble' reason?

The ANZ insurance PDS says in part:

This only applies if you must cancel your Journey due to unforseen or unforeseeable circumstances outside your control.
Given that you own the company I think it'd be hard for you to show it was outside your control :)

I'd start thinking up a pretty good story... :)

But yes a good product, haven't had to actually call on the insurance, but like most of the terms...

Mrs Cat and I are off to California next week for 10 days. Does anyone see any compelling reason to take out travel insurance apart from that provided by the ANZ platinum card? Have easily exceeded the $250 threshold.

Just check the maximum medical (best is unlimited) and any cover for pre existing conditions you might have. In normal events, delays, lost bags etc this should be fine. Its the abnormals, expensive gear, premium cars etc that you may not be fully covered.

Hmmm, a sneaky change and ambiguous to boot. Has anyone requested clarification?

New booklet from 13 October 2012.

2. Eligibility criteria
To meet the eligibility criteria, you must:
(a) continue to be a platinum cardholder; and
(b) have charged the full cost of any trip to the platinum card
account.

Definition

Full cost of your trip

means all charges, fees and/ or taxes
which have been paid in full for the
airline, tourist bus, train or ferry tickets,
prior to the commencement of the trip

That is for the Transport accident cover, not the Overseas travel and medical insurance. The latter is unchanged ($250 spend required only).

Hi we are heading to Karratha this weekend and contemplating hiring a car instead of the high cost of taxis there. I am a ANZ Plat card holder and want to use that for car insurance for the excess...do I need I need to spend on my card to achieve that or is it just an extra service. Does say somewhere to use a major car hire company...we wont be going off road or anything just really need a car to and from airport and maybe a quick look around, any suggestions..thanks

I have been reviewing the travel insurance offering via the ANZ Platinium credit cards ie dated 13th October 2012 and wish to alert people to the medical cover offered. Although there is unlimited cover for overseas medical expenses, hospital compensation is limited to $8000 (plus $500 if due to a mugging) which is likely to be inadequate in many countries and particularly USA. A phone call to the QBE policy administration phone number quoted in the PDS has confirmed this.

Needless to say, I am now looking at alternate credit cards that offer complimentary travel insurance and will not be renewing my ANZ Visa card next year. Does anyone have recommendations/suggestions for alternative credit cards.... Thanks

I'd recheck that, I had believed the $8K was in relation to"expenses", not authorised medical treatment.

There is also a daily limit for these "expenses".

[Scurries off to check the PDS.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back