Anyone managed to use their Amex to pay a supplier which does not accept Amex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnstone

Intern
Just wondering if anyone's tried to contact Amex directly about paying suppliers which normally does not accept Amex? Using Rewardpay is one option, but that has been getting mixed reviews on this forum, and also the processing fee is 2.4%

If Rewardpay make a business out of it by charging 2.4%, then surely there should be an option by going through Amex directly? If the processing fee is 2%, then maybe it's not too bad?

You can get 1.5 points per dollar spent using the Amex Explorer Card. Assuming you can get a tax deduction for your 2% processing fee, then that means you're getting 1.5 points for 1.4 cents spent

Apologies if this has been asked before. I tried searching through the forum, but couldn't find any info

I often see if they accept PayPal and use that instead (My Amex is linked to my PayPal account) :)

Notice how you can use Amex almost everywhere in the US and very rarely get hit with a merchant fee, but here in Oz you generally always cop a 3% fee. Welll, I guess it is called American Express.

The Woolworths gift card thread might have information you might find to be of help.

I often see if they accept PayPal and use that instead (My Amex is linked to my PayPal account) :)

me too - eg Telstra charges a credit card fee even for Visa but you can pay Amex via Paypal with no fee - seems kinda dumb but there you go

Visa checkout may be worth looking into, along with PayPal. Otherwise gift card it.

me too - eg Telstra charges a credit card fee even for Visa but you can pay Amex via Paypal with no fee - seems kinda dumb but there you go

If you set up Telstra to direct debit your Amex, there is no fee.

If you set up Telstra to direct debit your Amex, there is no fee.

It would presumably identify telstra as the merchant and trigger the lower telco warm rate for directly issued Amex card though?

With Paypal the merchant code typically gets obscured which helps get around that... (can work the other way around too for things like travel - you won't get the higher earn)

I'm cursed with the old billing system. No PayPal on my Telstra accounts :(
paypal.PNG

I helped my wife's work landlord to establish a square account and using explorer to pay her rent. 1.9% merchant fee Results in an acceptable cost per point after tax. Previously, only option was bank transfer.

It would presumably identify telstra as the merchant and trigger the lower telco warm rate for directly issued Amex card though?

With Paypal the merchant code typically gets obscured which helps get around that... (can work the other way around too for things like travel - you won't get the higher earn)

It does indeed. Paypal yields 1ppd.

I helped my wife's work landlord to establish a square account and using explorer to pay her rent. 1.9% merchant fee Results in an acceptable cost per point after tax. Previously, only option was bank transfer.

This is a great idea!

Just out of interest, what's stopping the landlord from just paying herself with her credit own credit card? For example, use her Amex Explorer credit card to pay herself using Square? Effectively, she's paying 1.9 cents to get 1.5 points. Works out to be 1.266 cents per point, which isn't bad value, especially after the recent devaluations from Citibank, Diners etc

I agree, it's potentially a nice earner. Card processors such as banks, Square, etc generally don't look kindly on merchants putting their own cards through the facility to mint points. I recall there have been some specially negotiated exceptions reported on AFF.
I put through about 8 surplus Coles MC GCs last year on my Square facility and they sent me a 'please explain' why so many GCs and froze payments to my account - so they might get touchy about it.
Not worth the risk. Others may have a differing experience.

Yarra Valley Water down here in Vic, doesn't accept AMEX. They do accept PostBillPay, which then accepts paypal. AMEX connected to my paypal account so that yielded 1.5 points per $ on the Amex Qantas Ultimate card.
I notice that Energy Australia is the same, so when they are due I will do the same, PostBillPay and paypal :)

You can also set up direct debit on PayPal using Amex with AGL.

I was at a Theme Park (Don't want to be specific as its not my job to correct staff)

While ordering two rounds of drinks, On the first round, bar staff informed me of the AMEX surcharge which I happily accepted.

On the second round, another bar staff got distracted when I swipe my AMEX then when the transaction was finalised, she said "Eftpos" while she pressed a button on her console, and thus avoided the surcharge.

Also, I've been using Paypal (family transfer) as part of my budget and paying 2.4%

Just out of interest, what's stopping the landlord from just paying herself with her credit own credit card? For example, use her Amex Explorer credit card to pay herself using Square? Effectively, she's paying 1.9 cents to get 1.5 points. Works out to be 1.266 cents per point, which isn't bad value, especially after the recent devaluations from Citibank, Diners etc

Unfortunately the law is stopping her, or anyone being able to do this.
e.g. a small business that owns an EFTPOS machine could just "spend" $1,000 on thei Amex, get 1.5 points, and then just pay themselves back. But this is illegal.

Its not illegal (as in against the law), just against the terms and conditions of the merchant facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back