Amex ultimate qantas bonus 100k a good deal?

Fatcat_jr

Hello,
Haven’t had an Amex in the past 18 months so thinking of churning another card. The current Amex ultimate has a sign up bonus of 100,000 qantas points. Is this a good deal? How does it compare to previous sign up deals? I’m not in a rush, but not sure whether historically anything better than 100k has been offered. Should I wait for a better promotion etc?

There were better offers on this card years ago, but this is the best offer in some time (possibly about 12 months)

If you do decide to sign-up, consider using an AFF member referral link from the below thread.

You can get 120K for the same card directly via the AMEX website. Try a VPN (people are reporting that NZ IPs work) and incognito window.

Can anyone confirm if the David Jones American express card is considered a seperate product and therefore the 18month waiting period wouldnt apply for this card?

Can anyone confirm if the David Jones American express card is considered a seperate product and therefore the 18month waiting period wouldnt apply for this card?

That was correct, but I thought the David Jones partnership was discontinued

That was correct, but I thought the David Jones partnership was discontinued
Thanks. Yes, however I only closed my card 11months ago before the cessation of partnership. Just wanted to make sure it didn't make me ineligible.

Amex confirmed today that DJ's Amex will not impact the allocation of points for a new application of this card.

I received this advice via amex live chat last week as well for a family member who was considering applying using my link. i.e. someone who previously held a DJs amex will still be eligible for a QF card bonus.

Note that if you are referring a family member, using the referral link to get 100k for referrer + 40k for referee is still better than 120k overall. You could always split the 40k referee bonus.

Also, as I posted on the referral thread today, be sure to visit the qantas cards website and sign up for the 20k bonus points card there too. In the past this has worked even if you signed up elsewhere (eg. via referral or directly with amex) and sometimes even applies retrospectively ;)

Edit to add link to Qantas promo: https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequent-flyer/member-offers/new-cardholders-bonus.html

Last edited:
I have this card with my partner as a supp card holder. If she applies for this card (she doesn't have any AMEX cards other than the supp of mine) using my 40k referral, is she still entitled to the 100k points and myself the 40k?

I have this card with my partner as a supp card holder. If she applies for this card (she doesn't have any AMEX cards other than the supp of mine) using my 40k referral, is she still entitled to the 100k points and myself the 40k?
In my experience, yes. Being a supplementary cardholder should not disqualify you from a sign on bonus as long as you meet the other criteria.

When she applies, I recommend not adding yourself as a supplementary cardholder on her account to start. Wait for amex to offer her some bonus points for adding one. They normally come in a few months :)

And register for the qantas promo too, as I just posted above!

Does the use of the $450 travel credit count towards the $3000 spend?

No it doesn't. It operates as a discount off the purchase price.
I'm a bit confused here because I'm ticking the box on the travel page but the price doesn't change? There are some comments about it being a statement credit?

I'm a bit confused here because I'm ticking the box on the travel page but the price doesn't change? There are some comments about it being a statement credit?

You have to do the transaction by phone - at least that's how it was last time I did it.

By the bye, does anyone know how many payslips you have to provide in the application?

You have to do the transaction by phone - at least that's how it was last time I did it.
Interesting I might have to investigate, I've never held an Amex - have through about it for a while but finally signed up to this one and only got it a couple of days ago.

By the bye, does anyone know how many payslips you have to provide in the application?
I provided one and then they called me as they didn't have enough info, as a result I provided a couple more on the spot and was approved instantly. I applied around 2pm on Friday last week, they called Saturday lunch for the extra info, approved same call and the card arrived on Wednesday.

Back