Status
Not open for further replies.

Daver6

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Firstly, I've seen others mention this issue in other threads, but think it's worthy of it's own. That is QF flights on Amex travel are sometimes dearer than booking directly or via other OTAs.

One of the benefits of the QF Ultimate Amex hard is the $450 annual fee is offset with a $450 credit that can only be used on QF flights booked via Amex Travel. Normally the prices are identical (actually cheaper due to no credit card surcharge) to booking directly with QF.

MrsDaver6 and I both have this card. Additionally I also have the Platinum Charge card (more on why this is relevant to the story later). We wanted to make use of the current QF sale (ending today) as well as several $450 Amex credits. However, low and behold, booking the flights via Amex Travel is dearer. Here are the screen grabs showing this difference. While not much, I don't see why I should waste money.

Booking directly with QF
qf.jpg

But with Amex Travel that want roughly an extra $50

Amex travel.jpg

I recall I came across this issue a few years ago. I rang Amex Travel and they were able to get the cheaper rate over the phone. So about 5pm on a Friday I call. At this time of day it went through to their UK team. Sure enough, all they could see was the same more expensive fair. They were not proactive and said it must be a direct with Qantas fare and not available to travel agents. I knew this wasn't the case. Google Flights and Flight Centre fares below say otherwise and put an end to the argument.

google.jpg
flight centre.jpg

I explained in the past the team had managed to sort it out. I also said it really isn't right to say it's a $450 credit when Amex are going to charge more than everyone else. I implied this is bordering on false advertising. The only suggestion the operator had was to call back tomorrow (Saturday) when the Sydney team was working as they might be able to access other fares.

So a call on Saturday morning. To their credit, they the details about what I wanted to book etc were in the system. The operator understood the problem and was pretty proactive in trying to resolve it. A couple of times she had to speak to her superiors but in the end they couldn't get the cheaper fare. At one point she said she will see if they can just booked it and refund the difference, but this couldn't be confirmed. She said they can try escalate it during the week. I explained the sale ends on Monday and I risk missing out.

In the end she said I have a good case here for a complaint and compensation. While she made it clear this was not a promise. At this point I agree, we booked the flights. I should hear back later in the week what the outcome is.

Now the relevance to being a Platinum Card holder. I believe if it weren't for this I wouldn't have had access to the telephone service. Without this I would have just had to suck it up. I really don't believe that it's right that Amex Travel charge more. It clearly isn't all the time and there doesn't appear to be a clear reason or pattern to it, but there does seem to be systemic issue here. It truly defeats the purpose of the $450 if you are forced to pay more.

I'll update this thread with the outcome when I hear back.

I encourage others to post their experiences.

I met same issues , I check QF Business class from SYD to BNE , Flight centre/Webjet/Expedia and retail agency price is 499 one way, but AE price is 899, then I contacted AE travel team , they answer unprofessional. they just mentioned this price is Qantas com.au only , I asked them check OTA price but they rejected, I also use sabre (AE also use Sabre GDS) to check the price which is works, I lodged the complaint and mentioned fare basis . Maybe they doesnt joined QF NDC channel but I cannot believed as AE is big enough, or they don't know how to use GDS . However, they are LYING

Last edited:
I've had the same problem over the last week. The $99+ "sale" fares on Qantas showed up on google searches and on other OTAs, but not Amex, with those same flights often being $160. I've given up for now, but only have a few weeks left to use up a couple of credits.

Today Qantas have a new sale fare of $110 SYD-MEL. That fare does show up on Amex - booked in O class - but all the other sale fares ended yesterday.

Same problem over the years. Amex Travel are simply hopeless, have just learned to live with it and take it into account as part of my value equation with them.

Reactions: ALH
Isn't Amex Travel free to charge whatever it wants for the products that it sells?

I've always considered the travel credit to be worth slightly less than its face value knowing that I am likely able to buy the same thing cheaper somewhere else.

So, despite all this, would you still consider the additional benefits worthwhile?

So, despite all this, would you still consider the additional benefits worthwhile?

By additional benefits do you mean the $450 flight credit or other benefits?

My answer will depend a little on the outcome as to how/if they compensate me and whether this is an issue they intend to fix. The faffing about is a pain though. However, despite all this for the most part I've usually found the pricing to be the same so a non-issue.

If you chase QF points, this is probably the best card for it. No restrictions on monthly earn. Even if I say only get $400 worth of value due to the more expensive flights, I still think it is good value compared to the alternatives for chasing QF points.

True, and hey you even get QF Wine membership! 🤣

Trying to decide between this one and the QF Premier Platinum card...

Trying to discover the fine print, because I can't tell if the latter gives points on government expenditures...

Last edited:
Not the thread for it, but...
Trying to decide between this one and the QF Premier Platinum card...
Why not both? As great as an AMEX is, they really aren't accepted everywhere, and having a visa/mastercard that has good points earning rates shouldn't be underestimated!
Trying to discover the fine print, because I can't tell if the latter gives points on government expenditures...
Just use BPAY through SNIIP (if AMEX), or one of the many other services to get around this issue ;)

Havent come across this issue using Platinum Edge $200, but assume it’s a fare bucket issue And manaully over-riding / chasing with qantas to release the fare bucket depends on the willingness of the Amex staff encountered and how they go also convincing Qantas to release the fare.

Accepting that as a fare bucket / res system / two providers compatibility issue, the one I find worse is when QBR doesn’t show the lowest fare bucket that’s available in qantas.com - but there’s a work around for that.....

Update from Amex Travel today. The operators supervisor has decided no compensation is due. However, they do admit the issue is an Amex Travel issue where they aren't seeing all the availability.

Given they're admitting the problem is on their side, I've requested the issue is escalated. I also want to know what is going to be done to resolve this for future bookings. Further updates as I get them.

I've had my Ultimate card for 13 years or so I think. I vaguely recall a price hike at some point. Maybe you got a seniors discount? :p

I've had mine for 15 years. Fee has been $395 all that time - so well before a senior's discount was even a twinkle in the eye. 🤔:cool:

Good on you @Daver6 for taking up the good fight.

I have two $450 credits, one from cancelled flights in the middle of last year and annual renewal in August both which must be used by July this year. I wanted to use one of them for flights as part of the sale but instead of $518 on Qantas' website the flights were $672 on AmEx Travel. Should I spend $154 more just to use a $450 credit? No. I did call them and they said they can't do anything about it, the website fare is the one they would book.

I am definitely going to cancel the card by August as I don't need a third credit that I struggle to redeem for QF fares during sales.

Good on you @Daver6 for taking up the good fight.

I have two $450 credits, one from cancelled flights in the middle of last year and annual renewal in August both which must be used by July this year. I wanted to use one of them for flights as part of the sale but instead of $518 on Qantas' website the flights were $672 on AmEx Travel. Should I spend $154 more just to use a $450 credit? No. I did call them and they said they can't do anything about it, the website fare is the one they would book.

I am definitely going to cancel the card by August as I don't need a third credit that I struggle to redeem for QF fares during sales.

It would be helpful if more people raised formal complaints about this with Amex.

I was promised a supervisor would call me back last week. It didn't happen. I followed up with an email yesterday. This morning I received an email back from a supervisor who is clearly just trying to fob me off and make this go away. Essentially blaming QF saying their sale fares were only available if you book directly with QF. Given the evidence I have and that I went through all this on the phone when I booked with the agent, you think they could at least come up with a better lie.

Thank you for highlighting your awareness of these fares Mr Daver6, however Qantas made the decision to provide this particular sale only to passengers who booked with the airline directly. It is always at the discretion of any airline which fares they retain for sale solely via their own proprietary website and which fares they make available to any third parties including travel agencies and online portals. I am sorry we were unable to assist you with your preferred fare and booking channel due to Qantas’ decision.

I called her out on the information being factually correct and will continue to push for both compensation and assurances that this won't happen again in future. Let's see what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back