Amex Qantas travel credit

ScubaMel

Intern
I have the $450 amex qantas travel credit set to expire on the 6th June. It says I can only use it for qantas flights - mine was issued after they did extensions so I don't think I can use it for a hotel etc. I don't have any travel plans coming up that I can use it for. Is the best strategy still to book a fully refundable fare and then apply for a refund in a few weeks time? Any tips for ensuring that the fare is fully refundable? Having a quick look on a dummy booking I can't see where all the fare rules come up.

I don't have any travel plans coming up that I can use it for. Is the best strategy still to book a fully refundable fare and then apply for a refund in a few weeks time? Any tips for ensuring that the fare is fully refundable? Having a quick look on a dummy booking I can't see where all the fare rules come up.

No, they aren't doing cash refunds anymore, even for involuntary cancellations. I had a Feb booking get cancelled back in Jan and they reinstated the voucher with a fresh 12 month expiry.

If you have absolutely no use for it, do you know anyone making a booking with Qantas in the next month who you could 'sell' the voucher value to at a discounted rate? (you would need to make the booking for them and put any cash component on your card, so I'm talking about family & friends - not randoms on the internet)

Otherwise you could book a flex fare for Apr 2023 and cop the Amex change fee when you have a booking in mind to use it on.

No, they aren't doing cash refunds anymore, even for involuntary cancellations. I had a Feb booking get cancelled back in Jan and they reinstated the voucher with a fresh 12 month expiry.

If you have absolutely no use for it, do you know anyone making a booking with Qantas in the next month who you could 'sell' the voucher value to at a discounted rate? (you would need to make the booking for them and put any cash component on your card, so I'm talking about family & friends - not randoms on the internet)

Otherwise you could book a flex fare for Apr 2023 and cop the Amex change fee when you have a booking in mind to use it on.

Sounds like its not a QF voucher, its the QF Amex credit card travel credit.
And...
"Your Qantas Travel Credit is available for single redemption only and will not be refunded in cash or credit upon cancellation of your travel booking."

Sounds like its not a QF voucher, its the QF Amex credit card travel credit.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

Back in 2020, cancelling Amex QF travel credit bookings resulted in a cash refund.

Thanks all. So just confirming I can’t even book something and then refund it to get another Amex qantas travel credit with new expiry? Otherwise I guess I’ll look at booking a flex fare to NZ for next year to visit my sister…have no AL left this year with a trip to South Africa in Oct planned.

Thanks all. So just confirming I can’t even book something and then refund it to get another Amex qantas travel credit with new expiry?

Only if the flight is cancelled involuntarily.

I had the same issue with Amex QF travel credit.
You can't use it to book hotels directly but you can include hotel booking as part of bundle including QF flights. So if you lived in Sydney and had no reason to fly, you could book a return airfare from the cheapest closest city (MEL?) to Sydney then include a hotel night in Sydney. So if the return flight is about $200 ($100 each way), then you can use the remaining $250 on a hotel stay in Sydney (and just forget the flight).

This is rather a coughbersome and not very efficient way to use the QF travel credit but better then letting it go to waste. Not sure if you will earn QF points and status credits if you don't actually board the plane....

I don't think you can use the bundle option on a one-way flight e.g. Just one $100 flight from Mel to Sydney then stay in Sydney hotel for 1 night...

Happy to be proven wrong or if there are any other efficient or creative way to use the Amex QF travel credit without actually flying Qantas

Does it have to be a return flight or can it be a one-way domestic hop that's more expensive than the $450?

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back