Amex platinum - rental car in Australia - which insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronnie66

Dear colleagues,

I am very confused in relation to the rental car insurance that is part of the Platinum Charge card. I did call Amex, and got connect to the insurer, but they were quite vague where I wanted a clear response. I guess with all your experiences I would be able to make the right decision.
As we all know the additional insurances make the differences between an affordable car hire, or an expensive car hire.
Which additional insurance should I need to take if I pay the rental car with my Platinum Charge Card? I have my own private car insurance, and I have a liability insurance.
I hope you can give me some insight in how you are dealing with this. For the Charge card I think it is important to try to use as much of the perks as possible.

Thank you for your support.

Dear colleagues,

I am very confused in relation to the rental car insurance that is part of the Platinum Charge card. I did call Amex, and got connect to the insurer, but they were quite vague where I wanted a clear response. I guess with all your experiences I would be able to make the right decision.
As we all know the additional insurances make the differences between an affordable car hire, or an expensive car hire.
Which additional insurance should I need to take if I pay the rental car with my Platinum Charge Card? I have my own private car insurance, and I have a liability insurance.
I hope you can give me some insight in how you are dealing with this. For the Charge card I think it is important to try to use as much of the perks as possible.

Thank you for your support.

To enable an accurate answer to your question, please advise where you live (country) and where you intend renting (country). These two things make a big difference.

Assuming you live in Australia and have an Australian issued Card, if you are renting in Australia, all you need is excess cover. This card actually covers Loss Damage Waiver, which all rental cars technically have anyway. I understand it may extend to covering excess, though someone more experienced with this card than me might be able to clarify. Otherwise, this is the question you need to ask Amex or their insurer. On the basis it does cover the excess, you don't need to pay for anything extra.

A few things to note:

- rental must be greater than 250 km from your home;
- no cover for unsealed roads;
- no cover for vehicles with a retail price of over $70K (this rules out many of the luxury cars, including Caprice V8, BMW X5, Audi A6, Audi A5 convertible, Merc E200, and probably rules out BMW 320, Merc C200, BMW X3 and probably a few others).

If you are renting in the US, the Loss Damage waiver is useful, as cars can come with no insurance. The above limitations still apply. It should be noted that the card does not cover third party legal liability when renting a car (for damage to other property and injury to people), nor does most, if not all travel insurance. You must purchase this (car rental companies sell it, but it isn't cheap).

Thank you AdMEL, really appreciate your fast response. I am an Australian resident and live in VIC. Hiring the care in Queensland. Have an Australian Platinum AMEX Charge card.
I have the impression it reduces the excess cover. I am an easy going car renter and usually opt for the small cars.

Isn't the third party legal liability part of my regular liability insurance?
I just want to make sure I don't take unnecessary insurance or "double insurance".

Regards,

Ron

Thank you AdMEL, really appreciate your fast response. I am an Australian resident and live in VIC. Hiring the care in Queensland. Have an Australian Platinum AMEX Charge card.
I have the impression it reduces the excess cover. I am an easy going car renter and usually opt for the small cars.

Isn't the third party legal liability part of my regular liability insurance?
I just want to make sure I don't take unnecessary insurance or "double insurance".

Regards,

Ron

To further clarify (apologies if you're already aware of this, but it appears maybe not):

In Australia, all cars, including rental cars, have third party injury cover provided, effectively as part of registration (In Vic, you pay a premium to TAC). In addition, all rental cars come with comprehensive car insurance, covering damage to the rental car, damage to other cars, damage to third party property and theft of the rental car. This is similar to your own personal car insurance. As with your own personal car insurance, there is an excess, which is usually $2,750 - $10,000 for rental cars, depending on the the type of car, what type of accident and where you rent it from (it will be approx. $3,000 - $6,000 for a small car rented from an airport in Qld). The only thing you need cover for in Australia is the excess.

It's very different overseas (particularly in the US), where you can often rent a car with no insurance cover at all, or purchase each part of the insurance cover separately. Brief details of these covers are as follows (note that each rental car company has a different name and may not have all, or may include one in another and there may be others):

LDW/CDW (Loss Damage Waiver/Collision Damage Waiver) - covers damage to the rental car
ALI/SLI (Additional Liability Insurance/Supplemental Liability Insurance) - third party legal liability for damage to other cars, property and personal injury
TP (Theft Protection) - as it suggests, covers theft of rental car
UMP (Uninsured Motorist Protection) - covers you if uninsured car/person damages rental car

Excess - also known as deductible - amount you have to pay

Generally, there is no excess in the US. You either have full cover, or no cover.

Amex Plat Charge Card covers Loss Damage Waiver, as it is set up by an American company, with the American system in mind. As already noted, rental cars in Australia already come with LDW (note that it's technically not insurance, it's a waiver - they waive the right to pursue you if you pay the daily cost and the excess, if applicable). However, the wording says it also covers the deductible, so it should cover the excess. I am not sure on this point though.

With regard to third party legal liability, I am not sure what you mean by your regular liability insurance? As noted, rental cars in Australia come with third party legal liability cover, so you can't purchase it. By way of background, most (if not all) insurance policies in Australia come with third party legal liability (usually $5M, $10M or $20M), covering events in respect of the insurance policy (e.g. in respect of your car insurance, damage caused by your car). Travel insurance also includes this cover. Amex Plat Charge Card also covers, this. The catch with travel insurance and Amex is that they exclude cover when in charge of a motorised vehicle, so a rental car would not be covered. As far as I am aware, you cannot purchase legal liability cover separately (unlike the US).

Thank you very comprehensive answer. I wonder what most of the Australian would do. Please share some of your experiences with which additional insurance you take from the rental car company when renting a car. I get the impression that the benefit is very limited in Australia (from the previous answers, but I might interpret it wrong).

Please share some of your experiences with which additional insurance you take from the rental car company when renting a car. I get the impression that the benefit is very limited in Australia (from the previous answers, but I might interpret it wrong).

Generally most renters rely on their travel insurance if yearly to cover them, very quickly recoups the cost vs paying the rental car company given an annual is around $300

Yep. I guess that is the best way to go... and probably don't rely on travel insurance from Platinum Charge or Virgin High Flyer.
Thanks Markis10

Thank you very comprehensive answer. I wonder what most of the Australian would do. Please share some of your experiences with which additional insurance you take from the rental car company when renting a car. I get the impression that the benefit is very limited in Australia (from the previous answers, but I might interpret it wrong).

I rely on Westpac Black Card car rental excess cover, which covers excesses you to $5,500, with a $250 excess. I also occasionally rely on ANZ Car rental cover, which provides $2,400 cover, with $350 excess.

Would you mind explaining what liability cover you have?

Does the westpac black cover if you are renting a car less than 50km from home??

Does the westpac black cover if you are renting a car less than 50km from home??

Yes, there are no distance based restrictions - I rely on it in place of owning a car and almost always rent close to home.

Thanks. Damn I should of paid my rental car using the black card. I used my plat charge without knowing it's restrictions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back