Amex Platinum Edge Card, with 20000 joining bonus (valid to March 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
American Express®

With the NEW American Express® Platinum Edge Credit Card, you get a complimentary domestic economy return flight every year1.

Get the rewards you want faster with Membership Rewards 3-2-12. You'll earn:
  • 3 x points at major supermarkets
  • 2 x points at major petrol stations
  • 1 x point for every dollar spent on all other purchases
So your everyday spend will earn you even more points which you can redeem for even more flights or on over 1,500 other lifestyle, entertainment and travel rewards on offer.
You'll also pack more travel into your life with 20,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points4. That's enough points for $200 worth of Travel Agency Gift Vouchers5. It's our welcome gift to you.

Fee is $149 per year. Which considering the free flight is ok value.

American Express®

With the NEW American Express® Platinum Edge Credit Card, you get a complimentary domestic economy return flight every year1.

Get the rewards you want faster with Membership Rewards 3-2-12. You'll earn:
  • 3 x points at major supermarkets
  • 2 x points at major petrol stations
  • 1 x point for every dollar spent on all other purchases
So your everyday spend will earn you even more points which you can redeem for even more flights or on over 1,500 other lifestyle, entertainment and travel rewards on offer.
You'll also pack more travel into your life with 20,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points4. That's enough points for $200 worth of Travel Agency Gift Vouchers5. It's our welcome gift to you.

Fee is $149 per year. Which considering the free flight is ok value.

I wonder if it still gives the same range of flights from Perth? If so, it's great value.

AMEX Platinum Edge Credit Card 20,000 bonus points (valid to 1 March 2011)

American Express®

I note in the T&C it states:
Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Basic Credit Card members who apply, are approved by 01 March 2011 and spend $500 in the first 2 months of Card membership. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks after the $500 spend benchmark has been met for the 20,000 Membership Rewards points to be awarded to the Card member's account.

Note also to get the bonus:
Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Basic Credit Card members who apply, are approved by 01 March 2011 and spend $500 in the first 2 months of Card membership. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks after the $500 spend benchmark has been met for the 20,000 Membership Rewards points to be awarded to the Card member's account.

I wonder if it still gives the same range of flights from Perth? If so, it's great value.

Perth-Darwin is missing, but they have all the WA destinations plus Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Destination Guide

I think I'll be downgrading to this when my annual fee is due, there doesn't seem to be much point paying $395 per year for a couple of lounge entries.

Re: AMEX Platinum Edge Credit Card 20,000 bonus points (valid to 1 March 2011)

I wonder if those 20,000 membership rewards points able to be transferred to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program?

Re: AMEX Platinum Edge Credit Card 20,000 bonus points (valid to 1 March 2011)

I wonder if those 20,000 membership rewards points able to be transferred to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program?

No as the card enrolls in the Ascent program, not Ascent Premium.

My renewal date is coming up on My Amex Platinum (which was upgraded from the Maximiser when it was ceased last year at alower cost that the Full plat, but without the flight benefit).

I will give strong consideration to moving to this Amex as I:

• Have a goodly balance of Points in Mileage Rewards I do not want to lose, or yet move to a FF Program (I already have large balance at SQ suffice for several years of holidays)
  • Currently have been getting the Westpac KF Amex/Visa for free.
So combining this card with the Westpac one will allow me to:

• Supercharge my earning rate by selecting the highest earning rate for the particular spend. (I would guess an extra 15-20K per year)

• Keep my MR Balance warehoused, and available for various redemption opportunities.
  • Do so cost-effectively for free given the flight benefit.
  • Get 20,000 points up front.

Anyone know if the free flight booking can be made in a different name (i.e. sold on via ebay) in the same way as the Qantas Ultimate Amex?

Re: Another new Amex Card? PLATINUM EDGE?

Hey guys,

Has anybody seen this? I did a quick search but havn't seen it mentioned here. Just had a quick read on the amex website - 3 points for shopping, 2 for fuel and 1 for everything else looks fantastic!!

Am I missing something here??

https://www212.americanexpress.com/...toid=eb64d2a455f0b210VgnVCM100000defaad94RCRD

Already mentioned here: http://www.australianfrequentflyer....latinum-edge-card-20000-a-25746-new-post.html

Looks tempting. Maybe I should wait for 1st year free offer, or something like 50000 points bonus for $4000 spend offer later?!

Anyone know if the free flight booking can be made in a different name (i.e. sold on via ebay) in the same way as the Qantas Ultimate Amex?

I think the T&C's would be able to answer that one. If all else fails, give Amex a call

Looks tempting. Maybe I should wait for 1st year free offer, or something like 50000 points bonus for $4000 spend offer later?!

The 50,000 points bonus on $4000 spend was for the Platinum Charge Card ($900 annual fee). I know because I signed up for that.

Given the Plat Edge Card is only ($149 annual fee) for 20,000 points, thats better value pts per dollar) then the Plat Charge Card.

The edge card makes the Qantas branded cards seem like poor value. Unless you were totally focused on flying with Qantas (which granted some people are if they have status credits for example).

Given you could earn a higher overall points rate with Velocity say (depending on your spend on Fuel/Groceries and which card you compare), with a free flight to (generally) more destinations, for $100 less in annual fee to the Premium Card (300 less than ultimate). Insurances seem approximately similar, but 24/7 service only with Ultimate I think.

Does anyone know if AMEX are planning on revamping the Qantas branded cards?

Have not seen a first year free offer with generous bonus points since the GFC hit...at least in Oz anyway.

However on the upside offers do seem to be on the up again, which can only be a good thing.

Meanwhile as you get a return flight and 20,000 points for the $149 this is up there with the free first year offers of a few years back. So it looks like Amex is getting more generous in hunting new business again.

Just wish we had access to some of the USA deals where you can get 50-100,000 points for yearly fees which often are not much.

If I read the T&C correctly, and I think others have covered this with other cards, any existing AMEX member signing up to this new card will still receive the bonus points?

I've got a Plat Credit Card at the moment, but this one seems much better value, particularly with 20,000 bonus points.

Any experience from other cards?

I think the T&C's would be able to answer that one. If all else fails, give Amex a call

• You can transfer the points you earn to seven different airline partners10.
    • Choose to redeem with Velocity, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay Pacific, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways International and Air New Zealand.
Singapore works for me, will be considering very carefully over my current Qantas Amex. will go well with the Westpac Krisflyer cards

• You can transfer the points you earn to seven different airline partners10.
    • Choose to redeem with Velocity, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay Pacific, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways International and Air New Zealand.
Singapore works for me, will be considering very carefully over my current Qantas Amex. will go well with the Westpac Krisflyer cards

And Singapore Airlines provides (IMO) very good value redemptions, especially if you can get the saver awards in F & J.

Amex Platinum Edge Card, with 20000 joining bonus

And Singapore Airlines provides (IMO) very good value redemptions, especially if you can get the saver awards in F & J.

Big IF though :(

I've been struggling, SQ have so many restrictions with the newer aircraft seats and availability of saver awards it is doing my head in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back