Amex Platinum Charge vs Qantas Amex Ultimate card

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmar

Qantas
Platinum
Apologies if this has been asked already, did a search and couldnt see anything....
After some opinions on which is the better card. Actually if I'm honest I'm really trying to ascertain if the plat charge card benefits justify the annual fee. Main reason for looking for a new card is Qantas points earning so Qantas Amex Ultimate card slightly ahead there. The AFR subscription would be nice although still doesnt close the gap in the annual fee difference... I'm Qantas platinum so the lounge access isnt a major appeal. Some of the hotel benefits etc could be nice. Anyone able to give me any other good reasons to choose one over the other? Thanks in advance!

The Ultimate card will also give you a bonus point per dollar spent directly with QF.

The Charge card hotel benefits are good only if you actually make use of them. Also get a free night with Accor via the Accor Plus membership. You get two PP memberships. One on the main card and one for one of the supp cards. Useful if you can give that second one to someone who can make use of it. You can also apply for the Platinum Reserve credit card at no fee which comes with another $400 travel credit.

If you're going the Charge card, I'd wait until you can actually travel again. Otherwise you're paying a hefty fee and not able to make use of a lot of the benefits.

There is a thread that lists all the AMEX Plat benefits quite comprehensively - I really don't know much about the QF Ultimate, but i can say that I think the Plat card is excellent value - the question is how much value will you get out of its benefits - it is tricky to get value out of it whilst there's no travel of course and if VA goes under, that would lessen the value (VA lounge access) --- there are some real hidden gems with the card that fly under the radar, in addition to the direct advertised benefits --- the $400 travel credit from the Plat Reserve (free additional card) to supplement the $450 Plat travel credit is one --- the other (if you don't have hotel status) is the gold status at the likes of Marriott/Hilton/Shangri-La: I've had some very good benefits happen due to gold status that are just hotel management trying to look after gold members; the AMEX Fine Hotel & Resorts (not sure if available via QF Ultimate) can also have very good savings at times for upmarket hotels; and IMO the included travel insurance is also generous (eg, covering additional cardholders, which you can have 4 for free, even if they aren't travelling with the main card holder).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back