Amex MR transfer to QFF question

MMM

Amex MR transfer to QFF question?

This is just a theoretical question at this time.....

I am aware that the only card that can transfer to QFF is the AMEX Platinum card collecting MR.

I am wondering if I had an "non-platinum" AMEX card that was earning MR points, and then got a new/replaced it with a Platinum AMEX, would the MR membership account then remain intact and the new card keep earning points.

If so, would I then be able to transfer all the points to QFF, or only the points earned on the Platinum card?

Any experience/ideas with this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think so. Plat MR points are are ascent premium and other points (like the edge) are just called ascent, so they are a different category of points

A few years ago when I held both the Explorer and Platinum cards and the former was devalued, I called up to cancel it and successfully had the Gateway points transferred to Ascent Premium. Some others did the same. Since then though I haven’t heard of anyone doing this, but it may be possible. Not guaranteed though.

It was 10 years ago but when I added Charge to Edge all the points went to Ascent Premium (and both cards earn to Premium still)

It was 10 years ago but when I added Charge to Edge all the points went to Ascent Premium (and both cards earn to Premium still)
I had the same experience (although I subsequently changed the Edge to a Reserve)

pretty sure the points would transfer over but WHY would you want to move pts to QF???
unless you are TRYING to use for QF upgrades.

I don't usually but have transferred to QF for OneWorldAwards (not taken in the end) and also to tip over PC/PC+ threshholds

pretty sure the points would transfer over but WHY would you want to move pts to QF???
unless you are TRYING to use for QF upgrades.
Can you use the platinum Amex reward points to book travel directly?

For example, the platinum card has a 275k sign up bonus in Amex reward points. Would you use those with a different airline, book travel direct with Amex or convert them into 275k QFF points (the latter option I know I would get a lot out of personally, since we mostly just do domestic trips and haven't gone abroad for a while).

Can you use the platinum Amex reward points to book travel directly?

For example, the platinum card has a 275k sign up bonus in Amex reward points. Would you use those with a different airline, book travel direct with Amex or convert them into 275k QFF points (the latter option I know I would get a lot out of personally, since we mostly just do domestic trips and haven't gone abroad for a while).
You can use Amex MR points to book travel directly via Amex travel but the value yield is poor
Much better to transfer to one of the program partners (eg QF, QR, CX, VA, SQ etc) to arbitrage the various redemption chart sweetspots
Keeping them in the Amex system until you need them gives you flexibility- some transfers are instant and most<24h
There have also been periodic transfer bonuses to QF , VA and Marriott though not many of late

Back