AMEX looking in to using PIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amex issued a PR on this last year around August and this page has not been changed since April 15, they have had PINs for years for people taking advantage of their cash express facility, like anything that means a major change to their policies, Amex will look at it ;)

Interesting that their site says this.

Without seeing this thread, I called amex a couple of weeks about this very issue as I'm off to NZ shortly.

Last time I was there I got caught out without a PIN on my Visa and gee that caused a few headaches... Apparently lots of poor people don't know how to use the PIN override on their machines...

Amex pretty much told me that they aren't doing anything about it at the moment... "you'll be right" was the answer about using the card overseas.

Amex uses chip and pin in the UK, most likely they're holding back here for financial reasons. Let them know you want it, the more demand they see the sooner it should happen...

Why?

I hope we have a choice to continue to sign for transactions.

As a merchant, I prefer PIN customers.... cos no risk to me.

As for your personal choice to sign, sure up to you. But why do you prefer this?

Why?

I hope we have a choice to continue to sign for transactions.

Not to mention it is becoming harder and harder to use a chip free card in countries like Malaysia.

As a merchant, I prefer PIN customers.... cos no risk to me.
Do you use the same pin for all your accounts?

Well let me tell I have heaps of accounts (not just credit cards) and I have about 3 different type of pins (in slight variation) that I can remember based on the importance of the account. How would I remember every single pin if all were different?

My theory is keep things simple and signatures are about as simple as they get. And to be honest I do not care too much what the merchant prefers.

Do you use the same pin for all your accounts?

Well let me tell I have heaps of accounts (not just credit cards) and I have about 3 different type of pins (in slight variation) that I can remember based on the importance of the account. How would I remember every single pin if all were different?

My theory is keep things simple and signatures are about as simple as they get. And to be honest I do not care too much what the merchant prefers.

+1 to John... I'd prefer signature over pin as well... and to be honest, I never feel safe to enter my pin in front of the merchant as my visa is linked to my saving account.

+1 for PIN.

Don't you still have the option to sign even if you have a PIN on your card? That way those who want to continue signing (or whatever reason) can do so, while those who want to use a PIN can as well. Everybody's happy!

Don't you still have the option to sign even if you have a PIN on your card? That way those who want to continue signing (or whatever reason) can do so, while those who want to use a PIN can as well. Everybody's happy!

In Australia, yes our cards are pin or signature. However, sometime in the next few years, we will be moved to pin only for most cards.

With Visa, the timetable is:
http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/au/mediacenter/pressrelease/NR_Au_021109_security_plan.shtml
Moving to 100 percent chip card issuance. By 1 January 2010, banks and other financial institutions must issue all new Visa credit cards on chip; by 1 January 2011 all new Visa debit and reloadable prepaid cards must be on chip; and by 1 April 2013, 100 percent of all Visa cards must be on chip.
<snip>
Introducing a broad rollout of PIN (Personal Identification Number) verification for all domestic transactions, with signatures no longer accepted from 1 April 2013

Interestingly, when overseas my CBA card is "signature mandated" in certain Eftpos machines. I don't even get the option to use my pin.

Amex have been EXTREMELY slow with implementing chip'n'pin technologies here. I really wonder why. Both Visa and Mastercard are frantically working towards chip issuance, and there aren't many Visa or MC cards currently without chips.

Last edited:
Interestingly, when overseas my CBA card is "signature mandated" in certain Eftpos machines. I don't even get the option to use my pin.

With some of the illegal activity around eftpos terminals recently, the police here have suggested that people use signature in preference to pin.

My Gold Amex Charge Card has had a pin for at least 15 years, originally to draw cash from a nominated bank account. My Amex credit card which has now been converted to a Qantas Amex card had a pin from the time I got it.
Now using a pin for purchases on both successfully. Only place they wont work so far is Woolworths, where Amex cards automatically default to signature.

+1 for PIN.

While in Australia, yes it does have the option. But you may find many of other countries prevent you to choose between sign & pin. So long you have the chip on the card, they "expect" you to pin.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind AMEX to issue chipped card to those who wanted a chipped card. I, on the other hand, would love the centurion logo clear of any chip to keep its beauty.

Both Visa and Mastercard are frantically working towards chip issuance, and there aren't many Visa or MC cards currently without chips.

Mal, hard to believe, but the USA is yet to introduce chip technology.

Being in retail I often discuss this matter with visitors from the US.

While in Australia, yes it does have the option. But you may find many of other countries prevent you to choose between sign & pin. So long you have the chip on the card, they "expect" you to pin.

The UK (for example) doesn't "expect" it, but requires that the chip and pin be used if the card has a chip. Signing only permitted where the card does not have a chip. Even American Express cards issued in the UK have a chip so there is no logical reason that I can see why they would have an issue here

Mal, hard to believe, but the USA is yet to introduce chip technology.

Yeah it is strange isn't it! They will slowly start introducing them (in the same way Australia has), but don't know when they'll have chips mandated on their cards by Amex/MC/Visa etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back