AMEX Gold vs. Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

leny

My association has negotiated fees with AMEX and offers a Qantas Direct earn option for it's own AMEX card (it's not a Qantas AMEX however).

The options are basically:

Gold
$0 annual fee
1 point per $1 spent - uncapped

Platinum
$295 annual fee
1.25 points per $1 spent - up to $100k
1 point per $1 spent - over $100k uncapped
Free flight/hotel
Domestic and International Insurance

Is the $295 fee justified for the platinum card over the free gold card?

Well if we say the return flight is worth roughly around $240 (?), then I don't think the $55 would make up for only an extra 0.25 point earn. Is this a good way to look at it?

Well if we say the return flight is worth roughly around $240 (?), then I don't think the $55 would make up for only an extra 0.25 point earn. Is this a good way to look at it?

Thats a very good way to look at it.. maybe the insurance could be useful... but if you don't use that either then i would take the no fee option. I have a high fee card but i use all the features so i figure its worth it, also i travel a lot and in Asia platinum Amex for example means something more than AU.

Yes, thank you. I think that the Gold card is actually a better option for myself.

I don't think I would use the insurance, and don't have to use the flight which I probably wouldn't normally use anyway - and I'd be paying for it through the annual fee.

Gold is simpler and free. :D

I was in the same position as you. Both my wife and I had $0 annual fee Gold Amex card from our professional association.

We were offered the $295 Platinum credit cards, but the rate was 1.5 points per dollar up to $100k.

In the end, I took the option up, and claimed a Mel-Per return the first year, Mel-Syd the next, and Per-Mel the following. I think I'm a fair way ahead, given the Perth trips, but even then, a bonus 50000 points per year is almost worth a Singapore Airline Mel-Singapore return economy trip (55k points).

I think that's worth the extra $295 per year, plus I gave the free supplementary card to my wife, and we never use her gold card.

I too just received an application for platinum AMEX, with an association offer for $100 discount on the annual fee.

Does this mean it would be $195/annum ?

I'm currently on the Gold card (with $0 annual fee).

Has anyone had experience in upgrading their card? Any issues with transferring of accrued points (I'm worried as i have over 170,000 sitting on the gold card).

Cheers.

I too just received an application for platinum AMEX, with an association offer for $100 discount on the annual fee.

Probably $295 as $395 is the standard annual fee.

Has anyone had experience in upgrading their card? Any issues with transferring of accrued points (I'm worried as i have over 170,000 sitting on the gold card).

Cheers.

I've not had an issue.

I had the Gold Amex for $0 through my association some time back and switched it to the Platinum when it was 1.5pts. In my opinion the $295 is still worth it. On top of the extra .25 pts per dollar, you also get an extra 1 point on QF spend if you use the QF Direct offering. The free flight never goes astray (BNEMEL return is easily $300 on QF) and you are allowed to upgrade to a different flight time if the RED e-deal is not available by paying more if you want - so there is flexibility. You also accure FF points despite what the T&Cs say. On top of all this, you also get the advantage of Platinum Customer Service who are always delightful and Australia based.

Probably $295 as $395 is the standard annual fee.

I've not had an issue.

Were you able to ring up AMEX to upgrade or have to fill in the form?

$295 still doesn't sound too bad, considering the perks. However, using the complimentary flight will entail additional costs associated with the trip - eg. hotel, eating out etc.. Guess more 1.5 AMEX points from these too.

I'm currently on the Gold card (with $0 annual fee).

Cheers.

As stated by others, the discounted fee is $295. Standard is $395. I had no trouble converting all my points from my gold card over to the platinum cc. The online log in for cards is still the same, and both cards still show up, although when I click the gold one it says it is cancelled. Even my direct debits were transferred over from the gold card number to the platinum.

My experience mirrors this.
Corporate rate:
1.5/$, no cap, $295 with return flight or hotel room plus insurance. Agree for BNE_MEL it is worth it (PER is even better), but syd-mel or bne-syd probably not as good value.

For me, the insurance alone covers the annual fee, the extra points and trip cap it off. Easy decision for me.

You can remove the gold card by entering into your profile/settings details and removing it.

No hassle with points transferring to the new card.

Yeah, it's annoying. Took me a while to find where it is to edit it.

Like many things Amex, it's not easy........:rolleyes:

EDIT:
Steps:
"Your account"
"Your details"
"Remove a card from online services"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back