Amex FX International Payments rewards for Business Card holders | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Amex FX International Payments rewards for Business Card holders

MikeG

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
I've been a Amex FX customer ever since I had my Business Gold Card with Amex (ie 3-4 years now), as I run an import business that normally transfers $200k-$500k a year overseas by various means.

I was led to believe there was a reward for using this service, and I was yet to see any points transferred.

I finally got proactive, and searched for the link which I found eventually (above) and I requested that Amex urgently compensate me for any points I had not received and was eligible for. My Amex sales rep was eager to help me out, and she passed this along to a FX customer service rep to handle. I was blown away when I got am email from him stating (and I paraphrase):

"We would be pleased to remit 10,000 points to you in the next day or so, to compensate back to the start of 2018."

I though this reasonable, except when I did a quick tally of my spend through Amex FX International Payments for that period, it turned out to be $314,051.36 (AUD) which translates to be 20936 points (rounded down) - should I feel ripped off? I've responded to him with these facts, and referring to the Ts & Cs, but there has been no response.

M

daft009

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I would ask for the rest too.
Specially as they are now devalued

maia200

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I would certainly ask for them. Also to confirm that you are enrolled in the actual Membership Awards program with Amex.

ftm

Flights
My Map
If you’re doing those sorts of numbers, you would save a good amount by moving to OFX or Cambridge or someone like that. They will have significantly better rates, worth a lot more to you than the Rewards Points.

But in the meantime, definitely claim the extra points - you’ve earned/paid for them!

MikeG

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
I have an account with OzForex (have for years now) - their rates aren't that great. Amex is way better. Even AFEX is better than OzForex. I'll certainly seek out Cambridge and see what they're like. Thanks

daft009

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I'm with afex. Been great consistent rates

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
We use Bell FX and Westpac dealing room and we use Kitco as a guide to ensure we know where the market is trading. We don’t leave room to get points as the amounts we deal often are 7 figures.

Cruiser Elite

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
FWIW - at 09:30 this morn spot rates USD50K were:

Cambridge - .6765
AMEX Forex - .6793 - I think you can work it out from there

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I can deal at 0.6803 right now so we don’t leave 10 pips on the table.

MikeG

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
0.6791 right now without any fees (Amex FXIP)
or 0.6747 with OFX
or 0.6739 WITH AFEX (plus a $10 charge)

daft009

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
0.6773 at present with afex, no admin charge. My main in Euro, not USD

MikeG

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
OK I can deal at 0.6802 right now,,,,,
Damn, that's a good rate - but only 0.0011 better than what I'm on. Might be worth me talking to the FX providers about sharpening their pencils. I've been on the same deal with Amex FXIP for 3-4 years now

Last edited:

MikeG

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
I have been advised of an update on the whole points thing. Apparently the 1pt per $15 has only been happening since April 2019. Prior to that it was 1pt per $30. Explains alot. I'll just be quiet now. Seems it takes 3-4 weeks to hit my account.

ftm

Flights
My Map
Well, that was interesting to see. I’d come from Amex years ago and the rates were terrible - made OFX look amazing. Then OFX got average, but still better then Amex and we went to Cambridge. Wondering if I was in a different part of Amex? They weren’t even close to OFX back then.

Maybe time to revisit.

MikeG

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
Especially with the Amex Business Card points thing, every little bit helps.

I'd love to get a referral bonus but they don't do that :(

Receive 100,000 Bonus Membership Reward Points
Simply spend $100,000 in the first 30 days from your first transaction. Offer ends December 31, 20192

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelcan