AMEX Explorer: Two $400 travel credits with one annual fee?

shamolly

I got the AMEX Explorer in December 2021 and paid the annual fee, and was told in live chat that my second annual fee would accrue on 5 Jan 2023 (fortunately I took a screenshot of this).

I already spent the travel credit I got in December 2022 on flights I took in December 2021, and I'm planning to cancel my card so as to not get hit with another annual fee.

However, I noticed that a second travel credit has appeared earlier this month. Does anyone have experience with this situation, and know whether I can spent that new $400 travel credit, and then cancel the card?

Does anyone have experience with this situation, and know whether I can spent that new $400 travel credit, and then cancel the card?
Yes. I have posted about this many times previously.

You do get 2 credits in the same year. One when you first open the account and one just before the next year's annual fee is due. Use the 2nd credit and then cancel the card before the 2nd year's fee posts. Never been an issue for me. Have done this at least 3 times with this card.
Post automatically merged:

AmEx will add the annual fee to the payout figure you owe them when you cancel, so you won’t be able to use the credit without paying the annual fee.
This isn't correct.

I can confirm what I have stated was working as of November 2022.

Last edited:
Hey, does this work when they have already posted the annual fee?
Can I use the credit and then call up to cancel?

Hey, does this work when they have already posted the annual fee?
Can I use the credit and then call up to cancel?
If you've paid the fee you will be entitled to the $400 travel credit. You can use the credit and then cancel the card, but you wont get a refund for the fee.

If you've paid the fee you will be entitled to the $400 travel credit. You can use the credit and then cancel the card, but you wont get a refund for the fee.
Thanks Dr Ralph. Looks like i was too slow. Got my travel credit in December and annual fee came up on thr 19th January with due date tomorrow.
I'll just cancel the card then. Booking through amex travel cost more than booking direct with the airline or other ota.

Thanks Dr Ralph. Looks like i was too slow. Got my travel credit in December and annual fee came up on thr 19th January with due date tomorrow.
I'll just cancel the card then. Booking through amex travel cost more than booking direct with the airline or other ota.

For what it’s worth, if you’ve had a customer service issue with Amex (which wouldn’t be surprising given how downhill they’ve gone), they’ll usually refund the fee without a fight. Just need to escalate one level above the call centre.

Does this only work for AFs that land around the start/end of the year?

No. The time of the renewal is irrelevant.
Hi Dr Ralph,

Could I confirm that you or anyone else has had success in using the $450 travel credit twice before the second annual fee is charged. I notice changes gave been made to the T&Cs of the Travel Credit. Amex have provided the following response to my query of using the travel credit at anniversary date prior to charging of annual fee:

The Annual Fee and Travel Credits associated with your Card. The American Express
Platinum Card’s Annual Fee reflects the costs associated with the features and benefits we
provide with the product, like the Travel Credit. Our position on the matter remains the same,
if the Travel Credit (2024) benefit is redeemed, the Annual Fee will be due and payable.
We would like to draw your attention to website which includes a link to the full Platinum Travel
Credit Terms and Conditions by clicking here that was available prior to applying for the
Platinum Card. We refer you to point 6 of the Travel Credit term below:
6. You must be able to pay for the booking in full on your eligible Card to access
the Travel Credit benefit. Your Account must be in good standing and you must
have paid the Annual Fee and minimum payment by the due date. If you cancel
your Card, change your rewards program or Card type, you will no longer be
eligible for the Travel Credit.

T&Cs clearly make no mention of the second annual fee and whether it's paid or not. They simply state "... Must have paid the annual Fee and minimum payment by the due date" which could be interpreted as the initial annual fee.

M anniversary date was mid Jan (travel credit applied) with annual fee charged early Feb. Nothing precluding me from utilising the credit, then cancelling before Feb and not being charged.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Dr Ralph,

Could I confirm that you or anyone else has had success in using the $450 travel credit twice before the second annual fee is charged. I notice changes gave been made to the T&Cs of the Travel Credit. Amex have provided the following response to my query of using the travel credit at anniversary date prior to charging of annual fee:

The Annual Fee and Travel Credits associated with your Card. The American Express
Platinum Card’s Annual Fee reflects the costs associated with the features and benefits we
provide with the product, like the Travel Credit. Our position on the matter remains the same,
if the Travel Credit (2024) benefit is redeemed, the Annual Fee will be due and payable.
We would like to draw your attention to website which includes a link to the full Platinum Travel
Credit Terms and Conditions by clicking here that was available prior to applying for the
Platinum Card. We refer you to point 6 of the Travel Credit term below:
6. You must be able to pay for the booking in full on your eligible Card to access
the Travel Credit benefit. Your Account must be in good standing and you must
have paid the Annual Fee and minimum payment by the due date. If you cancel
your Card, change your rewards program or Card type, you will no longer be
eligible for the Travel Credit.

T&Cs clearly make no mention of the second annual fee and whether it's paid or not. They simply state "... Must have paid the annual Fee and minimum payment by the due date" which could be interpreted as the initial annual fee.

M anniversary date was mid Jan (travel credit applied) with annual fee charged early Feb. Nothing precluding me from utilising the credit, then cancelling before Feb and not being charged.

What are your thoughts?
First of all you should never contact Amex and ask them about a gap in their system or for an interpretation of the terms. All that does is alert them to the situation so that they can close the gap or fix a problem you bring to their attention!

If people keep doing this, then others, like myself, will stop posting about these opportunities!

Secondly, this thread relates to the $400 credit for the Amex Explorer card, not a $450 credit for any other card.

Thirdly, I don't believe that anything has changed. Except that your conduct may have now alerted Amex to a gap in their system that they will now fix.

Last edited:
Did not contact them about a gap, just wanted them to clarify the particulars of the T&Cs given how poorly worded it is. Included their response here to consolidate that it is actually possible to claim 2 credits before the 2nd year's annual charge fee.

$450 credit I am referring to is the Platinum Charge travel benefit. Same principle for every other travel credit provided by holding an AMEX card.

Thank you for your response.

Did not contact them about a gap, just wanted them to clarify the particulars of the T&Cs given how poorly worded it is.
The pretext of why you contacted Amex is irrelevant. The reality is that you have now brought a gap in the system to their attention.

Same principle for every other travel credit provided by holding an AMEX card.
No.

Last edited:
Back