AMEX Emergency Card replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschmid

I was just browsing around the AMEX website to find some info about the new Platinum Moneyback card and found something interesting I hope somebody here could verify.

I have an AMEX Gold Charge Card. One of the reasons I have this card is that I travel a lot and I don't want to be stranded overseas if my card is lost/stolen. AMEX previously had something they called "World Privilege" (I think) only on their CHARGE CARDS which would get you a replacement card anywhere in the world within 24 hours.

Now unfortunately they seem to have done away that you can compare cards side by side for each detail of the card so it's hard to find as you need to go into each single card and select details ... taking about improving their site!

Anyway I have gone into a couple of cards, including CREDIT CARDS and all seem to state the following:

Emergency Card replacement - our global network of offices means that we can usually get a replacement Card to you virtually anywhere in the world.

I previously assumed this is only available on CHARGE CARDS because as far as I can make out the Green, Gold & Platinum charge cards are the same all over the world whereby the CREDIT CARD offering actually various by country.

Has anybody on this BB any insights if AMEX has changed this and offers now WW card replacement for all their cards, CHARGE and CREDIT cards?

Please let me know also would be interested if somebody overseas lost their credit card and got a replacement via overseas AMEX office?

I lost my wallet in Vegas (of all places), which contained a Platinum Charge Card. As soon as I became aware, I went straight to a telephone to make a call to Amex. Incidentally, I had trouble finding a telephone that would allow me to reverse charges to them (which they automatically accept). I eventually ended up being connected to the equivalent office in the US, who very nicely managed to transfer me to the Australian office!

During the call my card was cancelled immediately and my mobile number was taken so I could be called back with the replacement details. I received the call soon after, and was told that my charge card would be ready at a local Amex office the following day. I was advised that the card was temporary only, and that I would have to get the card reissued once back in Oz.

Not sure if they offer this level of service to Platinum credit card holders too. I didn't ask, as I never usually use that card.

Years ago in London I left my wallet on the plane. it was gone by the time i could go back and as a result lost my Amex Green Charge card and Visa.

I rang Amex about it. THey said go to the AMEX office in haymarket and they will sort it out.

So off i went and walked in. Showed them my passport explained what happened, they said wait here.. 10 mins later they re-appeared with a shiny new card. i asked how they did it so quickly and they said they can press them onsite! Magnetic strip and all.

Incidently NAB arranged for an emergency card and said it would arrive at 8pm at my hotel room. 8.04pm there was a knock and there was my card!

Also there is a company that will take care of cancelling and getting cards re-issued - Sentinal. My folks registered with them when they were overseas, but luckily didn't need to use them.

American Express Australia - Secure Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back