Amex credit for unique experiences - how to and ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daver6

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
One of the benefits of the Amex Platinum Charge card is the $450 travel credit. Other than hotels, car hire and flight it can also be used for "unique experiences"

1593311427086.png

I've got a look on the Amex Travel website and can't see how one can search of available unique experiences. Am I missing the obvious? Or does one need to go through there concierge service? What kind of experiences have people managed to use this credit for previously?

Solution
You used to be able to select experience as an option like hotels , cars , flights . Options were hot balloon ride , boat rides to barrier reef , helicopter rides etc
You used to be able to select experience as an option like hotels , cars , flights . Options were hot balloon ride , boat rides to barrier reef , helicopter rides etc

Solution
I used one for a Barrier Reef trip and a Kuranda river trip. They were competitively priced on the website and straightforward to use. I suspect they will come back on as tourism reopens

Official response

Dear Mr Daver6,

Thank you for your email.

In normal circumstances you would be able to book activities on the "things to do" tab in our travel page, however due to the uncertain times we are living with Covid-19, we have removed this option until further notice.

Kindly note your trave credit can also be used to book flights, car rental and hotels, you can do it in our website Book with Amex Travel | American Express Australia and via the Platinum travel team on 029271 3760

Please do not hesitate to reply to this email if you have any other questions.

Have a good day ahead

Kind regards
American Express ANZ Travel Online

Makes no sense to me. Times are so uncertain that I can't book an experience, but I can book a flight, hotel and car. Seems logical :rolleyes:

I have travel credits galore with pending refunds. Was hoping to find something locally to spend them on.

• Sad
Reactions: VPS
I followed up and called them out on their logic, lack of communication and further product devaluation. Their response was even more murky. This confirms in my mind that this was a cost cutting exercise.

The decision of removing the activities wasn't taken lightly and was made on the best of interests for our card members.

Unfortunately I can not go in detail as to what the reason was as this is confidential business information.

In what world can this be in the best interest of customers?

• Agree
Reactions: VPS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back