Amex and EA agreement ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Orange

I received a letter from Amex telling me that the association between Engineers Australia and Amex is ending on 30th June this year. Fairly standard letter saying nothing will change but also nothing about the annual fee. Currently it is $950, instead of $1200. I would hope that Amex continue to honour the fee I signed up for. Has anybody else had any information about the annual fee?

The T&C would state the annual fee can change, im guessing it'll go up

No info about the annual fee from my letter. Only that my Platinum Reserve will remain as such, i.e. it's not going to be replaced with an Edge or some BS like that.

The Australian Dental Association is also being cut off by Amex in the same manner. It's now obvious that this is an Amex move and not one made by the associations. I wouldn't be surprised if they are cutting off all the professional associations.

The Australian Dental Association is also being cut off by Amex in the same manner. It's now obvious that this is an Amex move and not one made by the associations. I wouldn't be surprised if they are cutting off all the professional associations.

Interesting.

Fascinating, not that I'm questioning your point of view, surely this would be a poor move by AMEX.

Well I also have an EA Amex Platinum Edge. I paid annual fee of $149 per year, and get $200 Amex Travel credit (previously free flight).

I haven't got a letter yet.

Amex must see this as pointless as they are theoretically losing money .... My guess this also applies to other associations as well.

Could you call this an extraction? Were benefits capped?

My annual fee for the Charge/Reserve combo is due in July so hopefully I will avoid an increase this year (if not immediately applied).

Value is there at $950pa (with the combined $700 travel credit) but I am not so sure at $1200pa.

Edit: I called Amex this morning and they stated that all PA cards are being terminated but the annual fees would remain the same as they are now. She did not inspire me with confidence about that however, so I had her add a notation to my account that she advised me today that my annual fee would not change when it is due in July.

Last edited:
The only consolation in the Platinum Reserve fee increasing to the standard level is that it likely won't be more than the travel credit benefit. So one could still "argue" that you're still "ahead"...

Getting a crown is probably a better way to describe it both cosmetically and financially ;) (that's if they raise the annual fee).

Getting a crown is probably a better way to describe it both cosmetically and financially ;) (that's if they raise the annual fee).

I would say it's more akin to a root canal treatment. Looks the same on the outside but the insides have been gutted out and replaced with something different. But of course once the root canal treatment is done, one should always get a crown. lol

When did they send out these letters ?

Bit worried as I only got the AMA brand charge card 3 months ago

When did they send out these letters ?

Bit worried as I only got the AMA brand charge card 3 months ago

I only got my affiliate card 2 months ago, and I'm not worried about the card clonking out this year. The only concern would be if the annual fees are going to go up at the next renewal or not.

I got my letter last week (I think Thursday or Friday), if you're not in Sydney it might take a couple of extra days for the post to come through.

Fingers crossed AMA is not on the list.. I really like the benefit on the card.

Fingers crossed AMA is not on the list.. I really like the benefit on the card.

I heard AMA cards are also getting affected. It seems like a AMEX change to all affiliate cards.

Member Advantage (Professionals Australia/APESMA and various other orgs) is still showing Gold, Plat Edge and Plat Charge available, "Apply by 31 August 2017" (or maybe not)?

As long as my standalone Plat Reserve doesn't get enhanced, I'm going to hold on to it for as long as possible..

Haven't received any letters for the number crunchers affinity cards yet.

Just checked with Amex regarding the ama card.

No change to annual fees for platinum charge yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back