American Express Platinum Charge Card enhancement - Virgin Lounge access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifa

Established Member
Interesting enhancement for those who keep their Amex Platinum Charge card...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Experience Virgin Lounge Access[/FONT]
Beginning immediately, you'll enjoy access to Virgin Australia lounges too. Every time you fly Virgin Australia, the doors will open for you at their lounges throughout Australia[SUP]++[/SUP].

++ The basic Platinum member must be travelling with Virgin Australia. Access is to Virgin Australia branded lounges in Australia. Name on boarding pass must match the name on the Platinum card. The Platinum Card member must present his or her valid American Express Platinum Card and same day boarding pass (containing your Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer number and status if you are an existing Velocity member) to Virgin Australia lounge agents. This benefit does not provide lounge access for guests (including children). Access to Virgin Australia's lounges is subject to space availability. This benefit is subject to change or withdrawal without notice.

The Platinum Card | American Express Australia

Finally, something that is actually a positive from Amex! This means they're offering both Marco Polo Gold (QF Lounge Access) AND Virgin Lounge Access. This is good. Maybe not enough to stop me dropping the card, but still..

Good to see them fill the gap left after Lounge access was dropped from PP. And good to see that Virgin agreed to it!

But will it be a permanent benefit? or do we need to requalify?

Assumption would be that this applies to Centurion as well?

Sent from my iPhone using AustFreqFly app

But will it be a permanent benefit? or do we need to requalify?

Probably no requalifying needed as it sounds like you present your Plat Amex card rather than having to apply and be issued a Lounge membership card.

Sent from my iPhone using AustFreqFly app

Not that I have been flying VA. but it may have a impact on future plans.

Not that I have been flying VA. but it may have a impact on future plans.
I don't fly Virgin either, except for the complimentary flight that comes with the Reserve card... So a good benefit to make that flight a little more comfortable!

When I called Amex about the changes I confirmed that this is only for Domestic flights however which limits the scope of this benefit...

Ahh. The dreaded fine print. I will stay with QF for now and hope it all works out

Good to see them fill the gap left after Lounge access was dropped from PP. And good to see that Virgin agreed to it!

[-]Wow have they dropped PP access? I won't leave Amex for this (to lazy to change) but this is a cough "enhancement" lounge access to a small number of lounges in Oz vs. a major global lounge network.[/-]

Edited after Oz_mark follow up- not deleted to avoid loss of context on future posts.

Last edited:
Are there any non-domestic Virgin Australia branded lounges in existence?

I get your point, but was I was trying to point out is that it is only useful when you are travelling domestically.

So not as much of an advantage as something like CX gold where you get access to any Oneworld lounge globally pretty much...

So the Virgin benefit is really just a replacement of the old PriorityPass benefit when Virgin Blue lounges were part of the selection in Australia

Wow have they dropped PP access? I won't leave Amex for this (to lazy to change) but this is a cough "enhancement" lounge access to a small number of lounges in Oz vs. a major global lounge network.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. PP dropped The Lounge (or, rather, The Lounge withdrew from PP access), and this plugs that hole again. Doesn't affect the rest of the PP lounges!

Platinum charge card holder must be flying Virgin Australia to avail lounge, from OP. PP access didn't require you to fly Virgin or fly at all.
Looks like supplementary cardholders cannot use this benefit.
Wonder if lounge swipes card to record entry.

Wonder if it will replicate across to other AMEX Charge Cards, e.g. UK one. One benefit is being able to access certain US lounges for example, and seems to apply to all Plat Charge Card regardless of which country they're issued. Would be nice if these lounges were added to that list.

Platinum charge card holder must be flying Virgin Australia to avail lounge, from OP.
Looks like supplementary cardholders cannot use this benefit.
Wonder if lounge swipes card to record entry.

T&Cs are interesting (and probably deficient). The basic card member needs to be flying, but the supplementary does't :confused:. Will be diffcult to present a boarding pass if not flying though.

As a practical matter, there is no way that anyone at the Virgin lounge is going to be able to tell if the card is basic or supplementary - there is nothing on the cards that distinguishes.

I doubt that they would be swiping - and why would you even let them - there is no charge, so need for them to swipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back