Actual cost of AMEX Platinum cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEGUS

I have seen advertising for AMEX Platinum cards with the cost at $395.00 pa, other people are talking $900.00 pa, what is the actual cost as I am going o/s later on in the year & thought the travel ins side of it would be good to have. Also does this card get you into lounges o/s etc.

I have seen advertising for AMEX Platinum cards with the cost at $395.00 pa, other people are talking $900.00 pa, what is the actual cost as I am going o/s later on in the year & thought the travel ins side of it would be good to have. Also does this card get you into lounges o/s etc.

Amex Platinum Credit cards are $395/year and include a free domestic return flight (destination differs based on origin). The Amex Platinum Charge Card is $900/year and includes a complimentary Platinum Credit Card, allowing you to have the free flight benefit.

As for Airline lounges, I don't believe the AU Platinum Charge Card has any such benefits. I know the US one does, but someone may be able to clarify that further for you.

And welcome to AFF:)

*edit*
Just checked the Amex page. They do indeed include some lounge access. Check here for details: https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/australia/FrontServlet?request_type=LoungeAccess

Looks like Delta Crown Room, Continental's Presidents Club, NorthWest World Club, AA's AC's as well as Priority Pass Clubs (even mentions DJ on there).

Both the Credit Card and the Charge Card offer good insurance, although with the Credit Card, travel arrangements have to be paid on the card to activate the policy, whereas that's not required with the charge card.

The Charge Card provides complimentary membership to Priority Pass for the primary cardholder. This gives you access to lounges around the world, including Virgin Blue lounges in Australia.

It can take a few weeks to arrange the Priority Pass membership and to receive your card, so make sure you apply with some lead time before your departure.

WT

They also have an ongoing promo whereby they reduce your first year membership fee to $600 for the Platinum charge card. You have to ask the call centre for the relevant form or promo code.

The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card is $450pa and includes $30k points....

Just out of curiosity if you book a flight with your FF points does that mean the travel insurance does not apply for that trip.. What about people travelling with you? Are they covered?

The NAB platinum Qantas Amex and Visa Card costs $290. Uncapped, Amex converts to 1.5 ff per $1.00 spend and Visa Convert 2 ff per $3.00 spend.

Perhaps this thread would be better placed on the AMEX board;)

This does not seem the most appropriate place for it considering this is the QF board.

You may get better discussion over there.

Is there a Moderator about ???:!:

Just out of curiosity if you book a flight with your FF points does that mean the travel insurance does not apply for that trip.. What about people travelling with you? Are they covered?

Yes with the Charge Card
No with the credit card

Re: "What is an airport lounge?"

Just called Amex Platinum re membership of Priority Pass. The guy who answered asked what it was. I said it was the airport lounge program. He asked "What is an airport lounge?". (!?!) I explained it was a place at the airport, usually owned by the airline, where you could wait away from the main boarding area.

"So it's nicer then?"

er... yes.

OMG

My Amex Platinum is $295 a year -- it's a CPA Australia co-branded card. Good deal considering the travel insurance and free air fare (I'll visit family in Perth -- I do every year anyway).

Re: "What is an airport lounge?"

Just called Amex Platinum re membership of Priority Pass. The guy who answered asked what it was. I said it was the airport lounge program. He asked "What is an airport lounge?". (!?!) I explained it was a place at the airport, usually owned by the airline, where you could wait away from the main boarding area.

"So it's nicer then?"

er... yes.

OMG
When you get the Amex Platinum Charge card paper work there is an application form for Priority Pass included in the main booklet.

Or you can have the $195pa one without the flight.

I got the Ultimate card for $250/year, with the free flight. That'll do me for now (when amex eventually sort out their 'back office problem', but that's an entire different story...)

My Amex Platinum is $295 a year -- it's a CPA Australia co-branded card. Good deal considering the travel insurance and free air fare (I'll visit family in Perth -- I do every year anyway).

I think you cannot get free flight to Perth from east coast anymore.

I got the Ultimate card for $250/year, with the free flight. That'll do me for now (when amex eventually sort out their 'back office problem', but that's an entire different story...)

My preferred burning at present is on SQ Saver J's which about twice as much bang for my "FF Point'...as compared to QF. So even though I was offered the same $250 deal for the Ultimate I would not spend on it as for me I would gain 50% less value for any $ spent.

I also have a free Earth Amex Plat which earns at 1.5, but basically do not use it for the same reason. It will go at the end of this year.

My KF plat is $125 per life..and the VIA with it eraning at 1.0/$ and transferry to SQ at 1/1 is great value.

I am maintaing a Amex Plat though as I still have large pool of MR points. too large to move to SQ (3 year experiry, JSavers routes are reducing and MR allows redeiming to range of Airlines that have great redemption specials from time to time).

So for the moment my VISA earn goes direct to KF and Amex earn to MR for later manual transfer.

I think you cannot get free flight to Perth from east coast anymore.

Conditions for the free flight are --

All flights are subject to availability and neither American Express nor Qantas guarantee that seats or tickets will be available on the dates or at the times you may wish to fly. Seat availability may be limited to certain dates and/or flights and it may be more difficult to book seats around public holidays or special events. Some flights may not have any seats available for redemption. Route availability is subject to change without notice. All travel is subject to the American Express Flight Offer Conditions, Qantas Fare Conditions and Qantas Conditions of Carriage. No Qantas Frequent Flyer points will be awarded for travel on these flights.

Perth should be OK from the east. No worse than a flight on points.

Update: Just checked the fine print in the downloadable terms and conditions. You're right -- Perth is not available from Melbourne but the reverse is. Oh well -- will have to go on points to Perth.

Last edited:

The first 2 years of the plat CC PER was a valid route fro east coast (BNE/SYD/MEL). They quickly changed it after I'm assuming most people took it and it was costing them more than the $395 annual fee they got from the customer.

I often nest mine together, booking a MEL-PER-MEL flight and a PER-MEL-PER flight, effectively making it BOGOF. Not as nice as free, but considering I visit PER 4-5 times a year on average, it makes it decent for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back