2 points per $1 spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

deka2

Just had a phone call from Amex. Asking me how my Platinum card was going, and a bit of chit chat.

Was then informed that my points earn will rise from 1.25 to 2 per $1 spend until 31st December, capped at 20,000.

Is this common.
It’s my first bonus even though I have been a member since 82.

The other thing I forgot to ask was how the cap was calculated.
Is it only for the next 20,000 points earned or the first 20,000 of the bonus amount.

Mate, do you mind me asking..

Charge or credit card?
Have you recently reduced your spending?
Average monthly spend?

Just had a phone call from Amex. Asking me how my Platinum card was going, and a bit of chit chat.

Was then informed that my points earn will rise from 1.25 to 2 per $1 spend until 31st December, capped at 20,000.

Is this common.
It’s my first bonus even though I have been a member since 82.

The other thing I forgot to ask was how the cap was calculated.
Is it only for the next 20,000 points earned or the first 20,000 of the bonus amount.

I wonder why on a platinum card you're only getting 1.25 points? :confused:

I wonder why on a platinum card you're only getting 1.25 points? :confused:

That's what I get because I've opted into QFF Direct. As it happens I'm closing my current CPAA platinum card and opening a CBA one -- that's 3 points per $1 but the QFF exchange rate brings it to an effective 1.5 points per dollar.

opening a CBA one -- that's 3 points per $1 but the QFF exchange rate brings it to an effective 1.5 points per dollar.

I have CBA Plat and am not happy with the way CBA applies the cap. For me the uncapped NAB Quantas Plat Card which includes an Amex card is better value than the CBA Plat card.

Amex do this type of deal every now and again. I suspect they've noticed a drop in your spending and are trying to get you spending again leading up to Christmas.

A similar thing happened to me a few months ago - got the call out of the blue and they offered 1 point per dollar bonus up to 25,000 points for spend until the end of the year. It was targeted on my Gold Charge Card apparently, but because all my accounts are linked any purchase on the Platinum cards also gets a bonus point (so 2.5 points per dollar :cool: ).

". For me the uncapped NAB Quantas Plat Card which includes an Amex card is better value than the CBA Plat card."

Or the ANZ card...if the monthly spend is significant I'm not sure why capped cards are a great option at all when there are several uncapped products out there.

That's what I get because I've opted into QFF Direct. As it happens I'm closing my current CPAA platinum card and opening a CBA one -- that's 3 points per $1 but the QFF exchange rate brings it to an effective 1.5 points per dollar.
From your post I am assuming that you are not talking about an Amex issued Platinum Card as these give 1.5 points per dollar spend. Am I correct :?:

Johnny and Flashware

I have the CA branded Amex Platinum Credit Card QFF direct. My spend probably has dropped a bit as it is becoming more difficult to find places which accept the card but don’t charge a prohibitive fee.

The NAB Platinum may offer 1.5 points per $ but doesn’t give you a free flight. This year we took the free hotel night and had a wonderful stay at the Sydney Hilton, upgrading to an executive room for $124. To me that reduces the $295 Fee.

The Amex platinum has a $100,000 cap per year, and I wouldn’t ever reach that.
On a separate note, I also have a Citibank Citibusiness, and noticed on last months statement that no points were credited. Appwears I have reached my 60,000 cap. But it would have been nice to be told.

deka2,

I believe where we are getting confused with your posts is that the Platinum Credit Card issued by Amex (not co branded) gets 1.5 points per dollar spend and also has a free flight attached. It is also possible to get the card for $295 rather than $395 if you join through various organization. I also believe that the points cap on this is at $150,000 spend though someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using AFF Mobile

Johnny and Flashware

I have the CA branded Amex Platinum Credit Card QFF direct. My spend probably has dropped a bit as it is becoming more difficult to find places which accept the card but don’t charge a prohibitive fee.

The NAB Platinum may offer 1.5 points per $ but doesn’t give you a free flight. This year we took the free hotel night and had a wonderful stay at the Sydney Hilton, upgrading to an executive room for $124. To me that reduces the $295 Fee.

The Amex platinum has a $100,000 cap per year, and I wouldn’t ever reach that.
On a separate note, I also have a Citibank Citibusiness, and noticed on last months statement that no points were credited. Appwears I have reached my 60,000 cap. But it would have been nice to be told.

The free flight was an attractive option until Amex went to Jetstar. Now it is not so attractive as it was when the carrier was Qantas. Probably acceptable if you do short flights but I would be flying to Perth and I have flown Perth-Melbourne in Jetstar. Once. And never again.

Another hooker if you're using Amex/QFF direct is, as I discovered, you cannot qualify for the free travel insurance. To get the free travel insurance you have to pay for the flight using the card. If you use QFF points for the flight you don't get the insurance. As a result I paid $160 for travel insurance for a US trip a couple of months back.

Other than than you're in the same position I am - CPA-issued Amex card and separate Visa Gold card that capped out at 60,000 points, losing me two months points before I woke up. That's why I'm swapping to the CBA Amex/Mastercard product (but retaining the VISA as for historical reasons it's fee-free).

The free flight was an attractive option until Amex went to Jetstar. Now it is not so attractive as it was when the carrier was Qantas. Probably acceptable if you do short flights but I would be flying to Perth and I have flown Perth-Melbourne in Jetstar. Once. And never again.

Just to flag a point - for the Platinum Credit Card the free flight will be switching from being on Qantas to being on Virgin Blue, rather than Jetstar. Though I've only had limited flights on both, I'd definitely rank Virgin Blue well above Jetstar.

Given that this will restore flights from the East Coast to Perth again which were eliminated after the first year (though Perth to East Coast still remained) it's a reasonable trade off I think. No doubt they've taken the view that if you really want the Qantas flight you'll get the Qantas American Express instead.

Just to flag a point - for the Platinum Credit Card the free flight will be switching from being on Qantas to being on Virgin Blue, rather than Jetstar. Though I've only had limited flights on both, I'd definitely rank Virgin Blue well above Jetstar.

Given that this will restore flights from the East Coast to Perth again which were eliminated after the first year (though Perth to East Coast still remained) it's a reasonable trade off I think. No doubt they've taken the view that if you really want the Qantas flight you'll get the Qantas American Express instead.

Thanks for the correction -- it is indeed Virgin Blue.

Walter_Plinge, I had a look at the CBA site and am a bit confused as to the earn rate for the Amex part of the card you talk about.
Is it 3 points per $ or less.
The only other thing is that on the Citibusiness you get 1.25 wheras this mastercard is 1 per $.

Walter_Plinge, I had a look at the CBA site and am a bit confused as to the earn rate for the Amex part of the card you talk about.
Is it 3 points per $ or less.
The only other thing is that on the Citibusiness you get 1.25 wheras this mastercard is 1 per $.

On the Amex Platinum card it's 3 points per dollar going into Commonwealth Awards. If you opt into Qantas FF Direct the transfer rate is 2 Commonwealth Award points for 1 QFF point. So the effective earn rate is 1.5 QFF points per dollar spent. This is slightly better than the CPA/Amex card which is 1.25 QFF points per dollar spent.

It really is confusing. I spent 30 minutes in a CBA branch trying to get it straight in my head. The lass I was dealing with wasn't sure either and had to seek assistance from an associate and over the phone. The PDS is hard to follow and the website completely lacks information. A previous call to the CBA help line was the clearest but I couldn't easily tie it back to the PDS.

For CBA/Amex into QFF the cap is 200,000 points which I probably won't reach. But IIRC the CPA/Amex cap is 100,000 points. So on balance the CBA/Amex is a better deal. Cheaper annual fee too.

It would be better from an earning perspective to stay in the Commonwealth Awards scheme but there are no long-haul international flights available, only local or Pacific region via Flightcentre.

You're right about Mastercard but not much you can do about it. My current CBA/VISA Gold card requires 2 points to get 1 QFF point, ie., 1 QFF point for $2 spent AND capped at 60,000 points.

My situation is that I would spend 3 times the amount on my Citbusiness Visa than on my Amex, so the 1.25 points per $ is of more benefit to me than the extra .5 per dollar on the Amex.

Everyones different.

As pointed out by gibspmuh the change is to Virgin Blue and not Jetstar and it opens up a whole host of destinations that were not included with Qantas.

Another hooker if you're using Amex/QFF direct is, as I discovered, you cannot qualify for the free travel insurance. To get the free travel insurance you have to pay for the flight using the card. If you use QFF points for the flight you don't get the insurance. As a result I paid $160 for travel insurance for a US trip a couple of months back.
With the Amex Platinum Charge Card you get the travel insurance included just by having the card whether you use it or not.

Other than than you're in the same position I am - CPA-issued Amex card and separate Visa Gold card that capped out at 60,000 points, losing me two months points before I woke up. That's why I'm swapping to the CBA Amex/Mastercard product (but retaining the VISA as for historical reasons it's fee-free).
I have a CBA Amex but am about to hand it back as the T&C are so convoluted as you have pointed out in a later post.

For CBA/Amex into QFF the cap is 200,000 points which I probably won't reach. But IIRC the CPA/Amex cap is 100,000 points. So on balance the CBA/Amex is a better deal. Cheaper annual fee too.

Be careful - this limit isn't exactly as it seems.

I've got a CBA Platinum MC/Amex and an Amex-issued Qantas Ultimate credit card. I try to use the Amex Qantas card as often as possible but other than the usual issues with Amex acceptance they won't give me a reasonable credit limit due to the way their credit rules work so I spend a fair amount on the CBA cards as well.

The 'real' CBA limit is 120,000 QFF points - that's the cutoff for the $1=$1.5QFF spend on AMEX and the $1=0.5QFF on MC.

Beyond that point, up to 200,000 QFF points, you won't get anything for MC spend, and you'll only get $1=$1QFF for AMEX spend.

Obviously anything over 200,000 QFF points and you're getting nothing for either card.

I don't know what amounts you're putting through your card each year but for me this is a real pain as the primary reason for using the CBA card is when places don't accept AMEX, and if you're not earning anything at all for your MC spend then the card is pretty much useless.

Be careful - this limit isn't exactly as it seems.

I've got a CBA Platinum MC/Amex and an Amex-issued Qantas Ultimate credit card. I try to use the Amex Qantas card as often as possible but other than the usual issues with Amex acceptance they won't give me a reasonable credit limit due to the way their credit rules work so I spend a fair amount on the CBA cards as well.

The 'real' CBA limit is 120,000 QFF points - that's the cutoff for the $1=$1.5QFF spend on AMEX and the $1=0.5QFF on MC.

Beyond that point, up to 200,000 QFF points, you won't get anything for MC spend, and you'll only get $1=$1QFF for AMEX spend.

Obviously anything over 200,000 QFF points and you're getting nothing for either card.

I don't know what amounts you're putting through your card each year but for me this is a real pain as the primary reason for using the CBA card is when places don't accept AMEX, and if you're not earning anything at all for your MC spend then the card is pretty much useless.

Thanks -- I realise those limitations but I think I'll be OK. I don't expect my award flights to be more than a return zone 10 flight in PE (192,000 points) and a one domestic per year, so the current limits will cover it. I'll retain my free CBA Gold Visa with a 60,000 points cap to use if the MC run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back